BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2010 Edition - VOTING NOW CLOSED - Finalists Selected

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all - I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful holiday season.

This will be the fourth annual BEST BOWIE thread. As last year, this is more about gathering and displaying a diverse virtual assembly of the state of the bowie as it exists today.

We will have one change this year - and I feel sure you'll agree it is a positive one. Earlier this year at the Little Rock show, I met up with fellow forumite David Crawford. We had a nice chat about knives in general and the forums in particular. Well, out of the blue, I got an e-mail from David, offering to supply a commemorative plaque to this year's winner AND to do so each year going forward that the annual thread continues to run! The plaque will also be engraved with the winning maker's name. This is a pretty great community - my thanks to David for this generous and valued contribution.

Okay - as with past years, the requirements are:

1) Definition - Flayderman wrote an entire book in search of a definition. There probably isn't one that all will endorse, so I'll try to be as inclusive as possible: a) fixed blade; b) 6" blade length and up; c) must be a custom piece. That's it. Fighters, camp knives and traditional bowies are welcome - as are both forged and stock removal blades. Plain or fancy, art knife or tactical - doesn't matter at all - sharing what YOU like is all that counts. As with last year - daggers are excluded.

2) Timing - the knife must have been made in 2010 - or first shown on Bladeforums in 2010 - the idea is to keep things current.

3) Ownership - doesn't matter - can be a knife you made, a knife you own or somebody else's knife all-together that you have seen and admired. I would particularly encourage makers to show what they feel is the best bowie THEY made this year. This is no time to be shy. Also, feel free to point to the work of one of your fellow makers that stood out to you or caught your eye this year.

4) Number of entries - as many as you like that meet the above criteria. We'll run this over the holidays to collect as many entries as we can, then narrow it down to 5 finalists that everyone gets to vote on in an open poll. BUT - Please number your entries 1 through however many you have in any single post -. So to be (hopefully) clear - each NEW post should start with the first knife shown being numberd "1". This will make the process for selecting finalists MUCH easier. You are not ranking your entries (i.e., your favourite first), just numbering one through however many you tender in a single post to facilitate the vote counting. Also be sure to give us the name of the maker of each knife you enter.

5) - And on that point - I am looking for a volunteer to help keep track of the voting for the selection of finalists. I will caution you that this is a bit tedious, but it really helps to have a backup. My thanks again to all who have helped in this role in the past.

6) Finally - the only "please don't". Comments on and discussion of the knives posted is most welcome and encouraged, but please don't quote an earlier post and reproduce the image already shown. This can lead to confusion when it comes to tallying votes, as the same knife shown 2 or 3 times has its votes scattered.

Beyond that - show us some knives and have fun.

I'll start off with a few in two consecutive posts to (hopefully) get the whole numbering thing started off right, then sit back and enjoy yours.

The following in no particular order:

1) Russ Andrews

Russ' take on the stag subhilt is something really special in terms of both concept and execution. Those aren't spacers you are looking at - those are meticulously constructed ferrules that the stag slides into, both coming and going. Add a gorgeous san mai blade to the mix and you have one of my fravourites of 2010.

orig.jpg

2) CKCA 2010 Cancer Benefit Knife - Makers: Davidson, Johnson, Loerchner, Engraver: Hands

I've always had an appreciation for collaborative pieces, as it is MUCH more difficult to attain a cohesive whole with different makers doing separate parts than it is through sole authorship. The caliber of makers here is as exceptional as the end result suggests.

orig.jpg

3) Jerry Fisk Personal Cutter

By far not the fanciest Fisk of the year, but the one that most made me ache with envy. This knife is just so right in every respect to my eye. And the battle scars make it better.

orig.jpg

4) Burt Foster - CLI - Composite Laminated Integral

Bold, innovative, striking, unforgettable. Stanless steel wraps the carbon core and forms the handle. As beautiful as it is functional.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

5) Rodrigo Sfreddo - "Parigi" A mediterranean dirk for all time.

orig.jpg

6) Nick Wheeler - W2 Fighter We are fortunate to have seen a few of Nick's pieces this year - each one more than worthy of entry. This fighter is wickedly sharp, wickedly fast and has one of the most spectacular hamons I have ever beheld:

orig.jpg

Have a look at this close-up - Don Fogg would be proud.

orig.jpg

7) Bruce Bump - Newell Bowie

I expect we'll see several of Bruce's pieces in this thread - and rightfully so. He has been turning out one exceptional piece after another. Yoy may recall this one as part of a spectacular matched knife / gun set.

Here's the knife:

orig.jpg

And the set:

orig.jpg

The gun, regrettably, is excluded from voting. ;)

Last edited:
Continuing….

1) John White – Legacy Series Aptly named for a body of work that will stand as a memorable and enduring contribution to the craft. This is the second knife in what will be a series of 5.

orig.jpg

2) Jay Hendrickson What can I tell you – my favourite Hendrickson of all time and one of my favourite knives of all time

orig.jpg

3) Lin Rhea Subhilt Fighter Lin is another ABS maker taking an innovative approach to the subhilt concept. In my opinion, it is one of the most comfortable and ergonomic hadles of the genre. Deceptively simple at first glance, but the blend of curves and flats, the seamless blend of metal and wood really set this piece apart. The dramatic lines of the scary-sharp blade definitely add to strong visual impact of this piece.

orig.jpg

4) Wolfgang Loerchner A singular talent in the field, his contemporary representation of the best of gentleman’s cutlery from the days of the California gold rush just makes me sit and stare and smile.

orig.jpg

5) Don Hanson III Good luck choosing your favourites Hanson. My personal favourite resides in the house of Gill. But since I expect he will post it himself, I’ll contribute this sublime combination of damascus and ivory for your consideration.

orig.jpg

6) Larry Fuegen You my have just as hard a time selecting your favourite Fuegen. It’s a nice problem to have. This signature piece is the one that speaks most compellingly to me:

orig.jpg

7) Joe Keeslar 2010 TOMB Knife Can Brut-de-forge be beautiful? Oh heck yes!

orig.jpg

8) Kyle Royer – This spectacular take of the classic Loveless fighter by the talented Mr. Royer made a lasting impression with me.

orig.jpg

9) Mike Williams One of the very first bowies I saw in 2010 and the memory still lingers. Check out that elegant framed butt cap – and the stunning ivory – and the rippling damascus – all in a knife that says “Bowie” without need of explanation.

orig.jpg

Okay – that’s it to start – I will have more, but want to let you guys have at it now. Let’s see what set your hearts a-flutter in 2010!

Roger

Most excellent, I have been waiting for this thread for some time. I would like to enter the following. (I hope 7 is not too many, but there are so many excellent knives)

1. JR Cook # 9 ALT "Gold Rush" Bowie

orig.jpg

2. Tom Ferry Persian

orig.jpg

3. Terry Vandeventer

orig.jpg

4. Mike Ruth Jr. "Ruthless"

orig.jpg

5. Ron Newton D-Guard

standard.jpg

6. John White D-Guard

orig.jpg

7. John Horrigan Laminate Best Bowie Blade 2010

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jon

Last edited:
These two came to mind instantly, Kyle is really making outstanding knives!!! One day I'll have one of his knives.

1) Kyle Royer.

6 1/2″ W Ladder Pattern damascus, ebony, 36 domed tacks, damascus spacers and fittings.

4905917161_cb4c180646_b.jpg

2) Kyle Royer.

7 1/2 inch clay hardened W-2, Desert Ironwood, Silicon Bronze and Fine Silver.

5278740965_89c671ae7e_b.jpg

Most excellent, I have been waiting for this thread for some time. I would like to enter the following.

Jon, you missed out on a few of your other most excellent Bowies. Since I don't collect Bowies myself anymore, I would really like to ask you to put up all your other Bowies also. Like that beautiful Newton D-guard fore instance.:cool::thumbup:

Marcel

First off thank you Roger I wait for this thread all year long.

I only recieved two knives that I believe fit in the Bowie catagory for this year.

1)Burt Foster Persian Bowie with a sheath with Cape Buffalo skin and Warthog Ivory that I harvested

bowie026-small.jpg

Blade2010013.jpg

2)Nick Wheeler big Southwestern Bowie with Paul Long sheath with Damascus stud from Nick

orig_edited-1.jpg

wheeler010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, is that the Foster you had at Blade? I love that knife and the sheath!!!

Man, these submissions are so strong. I, too, have been waiting anxiously for Roger to get this show on the road. Thanks Roger! What a great ride this will be :D

Joe - I was counting on your posting both of those beauties - but remember, you are by no means restricted to posting only knives that you own.

Jon - picking my favourite from your collection alone would be beyond tough!

Robert - great Royers - I hope we'll see even more of his work in this thread - I can think of two in particular.

Carry on gents. :)

Roger

Joe, is that the Foster you had at Blade? I love that knife and the sheath!!!

Man, these submissions are so strong. I, too, have been waiting anxiously for Roger to get this show on the road. Thanks Roger! What a great ride this will be :D

Hi Rob that is the Foster that Burt delivered at Blade .

Thanks Roger I just wanted to start with mine I am sure all the big dogs will show up:D

This will be a tough one , as there were so many wonderful bowies posted this year.With that being said here are my offerings.
First up is this one made for Jon, and photgraphed by Buddy.
JKsingleview.jpg

JKcomposite.jpg

JKDisplay.jpg

Next are these two stag pieces shot by Chuck.
chadsbowie.jpg

CowboyBowie3.jpg

Here are a couple for all to enjoy.

1) Fisk Artifact South West Bowie NLT #7 for 2010; Fire starter artifact handle, engraved, gold inlaid, gold pins through the handle. Kenny Rowe sheath

FiskArtifactres.jpg

FiskArtifactSouthwestBowieNLT7lg.jpg

2) Royer Knife #100; Take down Persian Fighter with 12 1/4 inch "W" feather pattern damascus, Alaskan Mammoth Ivory handle, overall 17 1/4 inckes. 18K gold dots in the middle of the clam shells and 24 inches of 24k gold inlayed into the spacers and handle frame. Sheath with feather damascus inlay by Kyle

5171874899_9a916033e8_b.jpg

5098215241_92d90d8034_b.jpg

Last edited:
(How time flies..I've had that Fuegen posted above my desk longer than I thought, Roger..Deleted )
If it isn't too presumptuous, here's a couple I'm proud of this year.

4385156443_f00cf334d3_o.jpg

K05687-WhiteJohn_0840.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely great bowies this year. I had to come back and delete 3 of my picks as right before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button, I notice they had already been submitted.

1) I don't believe there's anything that Larry Fuegen can't do very well.
Here's large version (9" blade) of his Buckaroo Bowie and sheath. Not only is it beautiful IMO, but upon holding it you quickly realize that it's MUCH MORE than just a "pretty thing".

Thomason2.jpg

ThomasonFinal.jpg

Thomason2sm.jpg

2) Bruce Bump has had another outstanding year. IMO, he's on fire creating one outstanding knife after another. This is one of quite a few great knives from Bruce in 2010. Jere Davidson's engraving and gold inlay is amazing.

Bump_100904-web.jpg

Bump480X623.jpg

3) Not much introduction needed for my friend Don Hanson, as he's a legend. Here's one of his latest fighter designs featuring a very sinister looking damascus blade which is razor sharp ALL around. Also the most beautiful piece of Blue ivory I have ever seen.
HansonSmall-web.jpg

4) This is one of 11 classic Fisk Bowies Jerry made for a set this year. It's a Classic American Bowie in my opinion. This is the only one of my picks that I have not had in my hands, however I know like all Fisk knives that it's not only beautiful but a high performing Beast.

FordProject2010single.jpg

5) Another beautiful Fisk Bowie. One of Jerry's 30 year anniversary knives. He really pulled out all the stops on creating this classic gentleman's Bowie.
FiskSpearpointbb10.jpg

Hooray! I LOVE this time of year:D

Roger, if no one else has already volunteered, you can count on me to help out like last year. I'll be able to do a better job now that I understand better how it all works.

1) Magnus Axelson;

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

Man, this is going to be triple f TUFFF this year. There are no losers, just a whole bunch of number ones. Things to consider are made even more difficult with the elaborate collaborations a la engraving and inlays of precious metals, not to mention the out of this world damascus.

If I had to vote right this minute ( and I am not voting) it would have to go to John White's Legacy 2, but so many of them in sub categories are clear winners too in my mind.

Roger, I hope you are happy causing me this agony of decision.:D

Paul

Okay people, here are 7 more, all from the collection of Jon Klein.

1. Don Hanson III
standard.jpg

2. John Horrigan
standard.jpg

3. Mike Ruth
standard.jpg

4. John Horrigan
standard.jpg

5. Don Hanson III
orig.jpg

6. Jerry Fisk
orig.jpg

7. Mike Ruth
orig.jpg

Enjoy,

Marcel

Last edited:
Man, this is going to be triple f TUFFF this year....

Roger, I hope you are happy causing me this agony of decision.:D

Paul, you are absolutely right - and yes, I am delighted to be causing you such agony. :)

Lorien - thanks - I would welcome your help - you da man. :thumbup:

Special props to Cohea and White for putting up some of their own work. I know makers are somewhat reticent to do so, but seriously, a maker's perspective on some of his own favourite pieces of the year offers fascinating insight that can't be obtained any other way.

Good stuff guys.

Roger

1. Ed Fowler
4b177e4d.jpg

41eab793.jpg

2. Adam DesRosiers
5311418b.jpg

3. Eldon Perkins
57b5ff6a.jpg

7bc8f919.jpg

4. Scott Roush
8573af75.jpg