Bladeforums Supporting Clone Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Eli tagged you in this conversation because you were selling them. I believe his intent was to make you aware that you are now held in the same regard here as another forum supporting dealer that primarily sells clones and see if you had an opinion on that. Correct me if I am wrong Eli Chaps Eli Chaps .

Correct. Zero issues with Michael Dye Michael Dye and New Graham Knives. :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting me know. Clones have been a sore spot for manufacturers and legitimate dealers for a long time. Like playing whack-a-mole. Doubt Spark realized what they were selling.
I got caught up one time in an instance where a large and reputable manufacturer used a famous makers name on a copy of one his knives. Once brought to my attention by my friend, the late A.G. Russell. I fixed the matter immediately as any half-ars dealer should. Oh, appreciate the kind words you folks have shared about us. Always appreciated.

Not cool with this. It does cheapen the dealer status of the other supporting dealers. I'm sure my opinion matters not at all but if I was one of them (the honest dealers who have supported the site) I would make my displeasure known. Keep their money? Get no more of mine.

"Slippery slope to see what they sell on their sites?" BS. It's obvious what they are. As has been pointed out, even the discussion of products that site sells has never been tolerated here. But they can pay their fee and be given dealer status here? I'm having a hard time imagining how you can convince me this isn't both illogical and unethical.

They were not given anything, they purchased a Dealer membership on their own. Lets keep the phrasing accurate so as to not muddy the waters.

I changed it - I meant the CCP, not the Chinese people. How did you quote the old post after I changed it?

See the banners below his name? They mean he can see all. Let's try to leave the China bashing out of this and keep the information as accurate as possible. This won't be taken seriously otherwise.

The moderator already told me. I really don't believe that he needs your help.

Looks like they tag knives with "benchmade" and "Spyderco" so when you search for those brands you come up with clones. Anyone who is undecided that topomart is not a clone front and is not trying to hurt Benchmade and Spyderco should have no doubt now.

And lets up that a bit. Here are their tags on the page for their HX OUTDOORS D-123,

6fxTs9t.jpg

https://www.topomart.com/product/hx...ing-hunting-multi-function-bushcraft-knifves/

The Cyrillic circled in red? "Spyderco"

That knife isn't a Spyderco. They dont sell Spydercos.

Then when you click on it you go here...where they list their "спайдерко складной нож" ..."Spyderco Folding Knives"

https://www.topomart.com/product-tag/спайдерко-складной-нож/

They are beyond the pale.

And lets up that a bit. Here are their tags on the page for their HX OUTDOORS D-123,

6fxTs9t.jpg

https://www.topomart.com/product/hx...ing-hunting-multi-function-bushcraft-knifves/

The Cyrillic circled in red? "Spyderco"

That knife isn't a Spyderco. They dont sell Spydercos.

Then when you click on it you go here...where they list their "спайдерко складной нож" ..."Spyderco Folding Knives"

They also don't sell butterfly knives. Isn't tag spamming against the rules?

And on their Spydeco Folding Knives page is this....

ljpO9kg.jpg

their keychain "Worker Ant"...wink wink.

C'mon.

Again, if Spark, you want to accept this stuff, that is, obviously, your call and I'm sure you have your reasons, but drop the pretense about being "against cloning" and we can know where this place stands on the issue.

Wow. Just, wow. I'm closing this thread before I let my temper take control of me and start telling some of you how I actually feel about this.

I've spent 20+ years keeping this site open through thick & thin and the general shitty attitude that a couple of you are displaying over someone who joined, a couple weeks ago, using an automated subscription system is astounding. I stated it clearly: I CANNOT POLICE WHAT PEOPLE SELL ON THEIR OWN WEBSITES. Likewise, I have no control over keyword spam or anything else they similarly do to promote themselves in search engines. If you guys start using that standard, I have bad news for you - you are going to blacklist some of your favorite dealers. (No I won't do your homework for you either).

I'm going to go blow off some steam and circle back to this in a bit.

Ok, some thoughts in no particular order.

First, as always, I welcome useful feedback and constructive criticism. I'm a pretty laid back, live & let live individual. Please don't mistake a paid subscription, at any level, as a license to get away with unsavory behavior or being a pain in the ass. Some of you are quite close to being shown the door and would be wise to exercise a bit of self moderation.

Second, BladeForums.com is not the World IP police. We are a resource to the knife community, and provide a place for you to discuss issues in a community setting. I draw the line at what I can feasibly control: conduct & actions that take place on this website. We don't ban people for actions taken off site. We don't police Facebook, Google or eBay dealings, advertisers, etc. It's not my place, nor do I have any authority over them. If I came at Dealer members and said "sorry, you carry [x] brand who knocks off [y] brand, drop them or we're banning you" I'd expect to get laughed at; it's not like I can demand their hosting company turn their site off. Likewise, if you expect me to dictate to SHOT Show or BLADE Show who can exhibit there, you are in for a rude awakening. Weirdly, I don't see any of you demanding that people not support those organizations, or dealers who support them monetarily.

Third, I have not sold the forums, and retain 100% control over them. I view snide comments about me being bribed as a personal insult against my integrity and considering the amount of suffering & sacrifice I've done to provide this site, there is no faster way to earn yourself a spot on my to-do list. Considering the offers that have been made to sell this site, user data and other key metrics, I have to laugh if you think some knockoff dealer has pockets deep enough to come for me.

Fourth, having a paid subscription here doesn't mean we endorse or legitimize any member, from basic to pirate. We've banned more than a few paid subscribers, including a couple "high end" dealers who are in "good standing" on certain sites. I've banned people I had legit business relationships with, yet you still see their wares advertised on the forums including by certain Dealer members.

Fifth, I will do what I can to explain things as best as I can, including my point of view, however you are not "owed" an explanation about any action I take or transparency as to what we're doing behind the scenes. I've discussed with @Boru13 my thoughts on this issue, and where I stand. I've explained to him expectations and what my plan is; he understands it and you can rest assured that we're both of a similar mindset here. You should take that as a sign that I'm monitoring this issue and it hasn't slipped off my radar.

So, you have two choices:
  1. You can exercise a modicum of self control & patience and understand that I'm aware of @topomart and your concerns, and I have my eye on them, or
  2. You can see yourself out.
Some of you have expressed that your choice is option 2. I regret to see you go, but I support your choice.

If you guys start using that standard, I have bad news for you - you are going to blacklist some of your favorite dealers. (No I won't do your homework for you either).
Thanks for bringing that up, I assume you are referring to BladeHQ and their clone selling sister site that used to be BladePlay and is now Grindworx. I was always under the impression that there was an understanding from the beginning back then, BladeHQ was allowed a presence here as an authorized dealer but the sister site was not, because they pretty much only sold clones. Cameron owned both stores, but Bladeforums is anti-clone so that was that. If anything, I think that reinforces the idea that @topomart should NOT be an authorized dealer...just as we don't allow Grindworx to have a presence here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back