Bladeforums Supporting Clone Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty darn new here so I'm sure my opinion holds less weight than others. After reading 15 pages though, I guess I'm happy enough with knowing that a certain dealer whom will not be named is under the microscope. If they stay in line on the forum, so be it.

There's still a bad taste in my mouth about it, but reputation seems to hold a lot of power here. That's mostly what drew me to this site. Surely if we members do our part in not participating in what we don't like, soon enough it won't want to stay. (I like the Voldemort treatment :D)

Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

I think you’re exceedingly patient. I know places where this member mutiny would not be tolerated.

Banning members for a conversation and voicing how they feel deserves a ban?

I think Spark Spark is doing the right thing by not banning people based on emotion. However, I still disagree with TM staying. It is Spark’s show, so all I can do is stick with my own values.

I also want to clarify my other post...

I am not, nor did I intend to “threaten” Spark Spark with “my wallet.” I pay into a membership on BF based on the fact that there are strict rules regarding clones and “homages.”

I was just stating the fact that if clone selling dealers are going to be able to buy dealer memberships, then I can’t renew because I don’t personally support that.
There was no disrespect meant. Just exactly how I feel.

Fifth, I will do what I can to explain things as best as I can, including my point of view, however you are not "owed" an explanation about any action I take or transparency as to what we're doing behind the scenes. I've discussed with @Boru13 my thoughts on this issue, and where I stand. I've explained to him expectations and what my plan is; he understands it and you can rest assured that we're both of a similar mindset here. You should take that as a sign that I'm monitoring this issue and it hasn't slipped off my radar.

As a newer person to the knife community, this makes more sense now from an operational and forum perspective. For what it's worth, it was on this forum that I learned the risks of clones, so this specific thread has been an interesting read.

I was just stating the fact that if clone selling dealers are going to be able to buy dealer memberships, then I can’t renew because I don’t personally support that.

Thanks for your opinion. So just to be clear, if any Dealer member carries OTF knives, you will not be renewing? Any dealers carrying multitools other than Leatherman? I'm curious where you draw the line. Pocket clips? Thumbstuds?

Will you also be boycotting any dealer or manufacturer who exhibits at BLADE or SHOT show?

Thanks for your opinion. So just to be clear, if any Dealer member carries OTF knives, you will not be renewing? Any dealers carrying multitools other than Leatherman? I'm curious where you draw the line. Pocket clips? Thumbstuds?

Will you also be boycotting any dealer or manufacturer who exhibits at BLADE or SHOT show?

I’m not sure I deserve what feels like sarcasm. As I said before, Im not “threatening” you in any way. Just stating how I feel. If you want to PM me to discuss things, Im very much down for that. You know my stance, and I would like to know yours privately.
Thank you for your reply.

I’m not sure I deserve what feels like sarcasm.
That's not sarcasm. Off the top of my head I can name a half dozen reputable brands making OTF knives that have used the same mechanism, with slight changes, as other companies. Likewise, Leatherman is considered the inventor of the multitool, yet multiple high profile brands have similar offerings.

Where do you draw the line? Will you be boycotting every knife brand? Or do you just hold BladeForums to this standard?

Are we forbidden from discussing or selling OTF knives, multitools other than Leatherman, BLADE or SHOT show here? There is a reason we can't sell or talk about clones, right? I assumed it was because the community decided that the making/marketing of them is not good for the community.

That's not sarcasm. Off the top of my head I can name a half dozen reputable brands making OTF knives that have used the same mechanism, with slight changes, as other companies. Likewise, Leatherman is considered the inventor of the multitool, yet multiple high profile brands have similar offerings.

Where do you draw the line? Will you be boycotting every knife brand? Or do you just hold BladeForums to this standard?

If another knife company makes an exact replica or clone of a Leatherman or whathaveyou, then yes. Im out.

It’s like asking if I should boycott any knife with a liner lock cause Mr Walker invented it. It’s not a fair or relevant question.

Hi Kevin,

I'm Erik. You might not care but seemed weird me knowing your name and you not knowing mine.

Your vague references to getting banned make it tough to have open dialogue.

I really like this place. If I didn't I wouldn't have said anything about that scumbag dealer.

But since I now don't know where I stand in being able to have a discussion...

I'd like to weigh in from the "I think Spark does a good job and don't think this deserves the hysteria it currently has." The OP appears to be on a crusade because he bought a bunch of clones a while ago and got his ass blown out about it. Now he just can't let it go. This almost feels like his way of getting back at everyone that gave him a hard time. Sad.

Why don't you direct your vitriol towards the people actually selling the clones, the payment processors allowing such clones to be paid for from the USA, and the buyers who buy/sell/discuss such knives - there are a ton of forums and subs where clones are encouraged, they would be worthy of such energy at this thread has already seen.

First I am not trying to attack you personally or accuse of of anything. I am trying to figure out why a dealer like this is allowed to have a membership?

I have always respected the "supporting dealers list" and made sure to buy from those dealers if at all possible ... and have recommended to anyone asking to view that list and use those dealers. I can no longer do that in good faith without feeling the need to check the list and qualify it by saying except "this one".

I cannot see any logic in why this dealer has been allowed to have a membership with their method of business. I don't think anyone ... I know I haven't ... expected you to try to police what they are doing on their site, but this is YOUR site ... and thought of it as "OUR" site as a lot of us members have made many good friends here and enjoy being here talking with them about one of our passions.

This isn't a dealer that may have a few questionable items on their website ... this is a site that thrives off of theft or they wouldn't be in business at all. In your own post you refer to them as a "knockoff dealer" ... so why do you not understand the disdain that has caused? No you don't owe us anything ... but it sure may go a long way in helping us understand.

Last edited:
I'd like to weigh in from the "I think Spark does a good job and don't think this deserves the hysteria it currently has." The OP appears to be on a crusade because he bought a bunch of clones a while ago and got his ass blown out about it. Now he just can't let it go. This almost feels like his way of getting back at everyone that gave him a hard time. Sad.

Why don't you direct your vitriol towards the people actually selling the clones, the payment processors allowing such clones to be paid for from the USA, and the buyers who buy/sell/discuss such knives - there are a ton of forums and subs where clones are encouraged, they would be worthy of such energy at this thread has already seen.

Why don't you leave your personal issues with the OP out of this? A whole lot of us believe this is a legitimate discussion.

If another knife company makes an exact replica or clone of a Leatherman or whathaveyou, then yes. Im out.

It’s like asking if I should boycott any knife with a liner lock cause Mr Walker invented it. It’s not a fair or relevant question.

Ah, so there's the rub. You are ok with some IP theft, but don't want to be held to the standard you demand from others. Glad we've established that.

I cannot see any logic in why this dealer has been allowed to have a membership with their method of business.
If their method of business is selling Kratom, or waterpipes or bootleg fireworks, I have no authority over them if it's not done on BladeForums.com, period. They're allowed to advertise within our stated rules which specify no counterfeits, fakes or knockoffs are allowed on BladeForums.com. If they fail to abide by that, it's an instant ban. If you notice, they haven't posted these items for sale here. You should also know that they tried advertising outside of the allowed forums and got locked down for those actions. You might also notice that they haven't advertised since Monday, so who knows what the future will bring.

Likewise, I allow you guys to voice your opinions about them & their business practices & ethics. All of that goes into Google, BTW. So bear that in mind; what you see isn't all that is going on.

Ah, so there's the rub. You are ok with some IP theft, but don't want to be held to the standard you demand from others. Glad we've established that.

If their method of business is selling Kratom, or waterpipes or bootleg fireworks, I have no authority over them if it's not done on BladeForums.com, period. They're allowed to advertise within our stated rules which specify no counterfeits, fakes or knockoffs are allowed on BladeForums.com. If they fail to abide by that, it's an instant ban. If you notice, they haven't posted these items for sale here. You should also know that they tried advertising outside of the allowed forums and got locked down for those actions. You might also notice that they haven't advertised since Monday, so who knows what the future will bring.

Likewise, I allow you guys to voice your opinions about them & their business practices & ethics. All of that goes into Google, BTW. So bear that in mind; what you see isn't all that is going on.

Not sure why you decided to engage with me...but it is what it is.
Please state the “IP thefts” you are accusing me of being ok with. I don’t like to be accused. I haven’t accused you of anything. What is your issue with me?

Why?

Who knows what the future will bring? The reason they haven't posted any more of the clones that they most certainly posted is because we members reported them. I've never reported any other dealer.

Thank you for the clarification Spark. I think a lot of us just lost patience rather quickly. Seemed like a very large intrusion here by a very shady dealer with very few answers coming.

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery You stated it wasn't fair or relevant to mention liner locks. Other people have mentioned Axis locks or Spyderholes as sore points. Where is the line drawn?
Why?

Who knows what the future will bring? The reason they haven't posted any more of the clones that they most certainly posted is because we members reported them. I've never reported any other dealer.

So the system works? Great, thanks for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back