Bladeforums Supporting Clone Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spark Spark

You state that the minute you saw the order come through it was going to be a shit storm yet you let it fester. No one freaked out. Alarmed? Absolutely. But everyone was calm and just looking for answers. And it was being done quite respectfully, away from the main forum. As I've said many times, the concern was birthed in caring about the forum, not any kind of criticism.

I asked you before, do you think you could've handle this better? Is the answer that you should have just started banning people sooner? I'm not being disrespectful. I'm just asking.

Last edited:
No one freaked out. Alarmed? Absolutely. But everyone was calm and just looking for answers. And it was being done quite respectfully, away from the main forum. As I've said many times, the concern was birthed in caring about the forum, not any kind of criticism.
There were a half dozen threads started across the forums, including in manufacturers subforums. You and I will agree to disagree with what "freaked out" means apparently. Especially considering some of the comments in this thread.

I asked you before, do you think you could've handle this better? Is the answer that you should have just started banning people sooner? I'm not being disrespectful. I'm just asking.
I think there's always room for improvement.

There were a half dozen threads started across the forums, including in manufacturers subforums. You and I will agree to disagree with what "freaked out" means apparently. Especially considering some of the comments in this thread.

I think there's always room for improvement.

Thank you. No need to agree to disagree. It's just perception. Early on, it was all kept low key. And it remained that way for weeks. There was no ill will. We were told you had had surgery and there were many well wishes sent and comments of understanding and waiting to see an answer.

Your answer was short and while you might have found it sufficient, many of us did not. You can, and have, found fault in our reception of that message, but that's when the emotions came out. Again, those emotions would not have surfaced if people didn't care about this place and what has been built here. People know when they are risking being banned and most I've seen in this discussion have done so because they are passionate. I'm not arguing they're stance or approach any more than I am yours. I'm simply saying that what you've built here has created passionate customers.

You say you don't understand many of us viewing the dealer list as a respectable list. That's hard for me to understand but I'll accept it. The reality is many, many do. Even my friend who is a mild knife guy says he sees it that way. He never posts here but comes to BF to see dealer lists. It's a thing. I'm not saying that is official, I'm only trying that that is a lot people's perception.

But all that aside, the issue we're faced with right now is communication.

The multiple threads and pointed stuff didn't start until well into this. And when you decided to fully engage it was with a hammer that we can't equal. You say that at that point you felt attacked but like wise, many of us felt abandoned. As emotional as you were, so too were we.

I was taught the leader is responsible for everything. It's a heavy weight but done correctly, a rewarding one.

I will never be ok with Topomart being here but that's your choice. It's the handling of the affair that informs me the most.

Last edited:
I am also disappointed about the 1 month banning of @Fullflat and @Sharp & Fiery.

It’s unfortunate but I understand that by vocalizing my opinion I risk the same.

I’m a pretty laid back person, all things considered, and I probably would have pushed the forum nuke button by now if I was in Spark’s shoes.

Im sorry those guys got put in time out too, but things were getting pretty out of line. It was more than just dissenting opinions- things were getting personal.

Honestly the relentless bombardment on Spark’s position is enough to make anyone crazy. I’m surprised the thread is still open.

I do think if folks chill out for a little while, the undesirables aren’t going to take over, and Spark’s going to have more time to devote to possible solutions.

I’m a pretty laid back person, all things considered, and I probably would have pushed the forum nuke button by now if I was in Spark’s shoes.

Im sorry those guys got put in time out too, but things were getting pretty out of line. It was more than just dissenting opinions- things were getting personal.

Honestly the relentless bombardment on Spark’s position is enough to make anyone crazy. I’m surprised the thread is still open.

I do think if folks chill out for a little while, the undesirables aren’t going to take over, and Spark’s going to have more time to devote to possible solutions.

S&F's comment was tame and I didn't feel it was out of line. I think it was unreasonable for him to get booted for a month for it.

S&F's comment was tame and I didn't feel it was out of line. I think it was unreasonable for him to get booted for a month for it.

I don’t know man, calling a moderator’s (or the owner’s) judgement into question is one thing. Calling them immature is another. There’s an infinite number of ways to get a point across, and some are more tactful than others.

Spark isn’t a robot and he makes judgement calls which could probably be impacted by perception and a mood soured by argument. There’s “saying your piece”, then there’s “not letting it go”, and then there’s “continually looking for satisfaction”.

Like I said, I’m sorry folks got put in time out. This whole thread is a valuable lesson in messaging and being careful with words. I wish everyone had been more careful from the get-go and this might have been more productive without all the “harshed mellows”.

I’m just wondering why you feel compelled to respond to every comment on this thread?

Do you think the tone in which S&F was addressed was appropriate considering the tone he was using?

I've been around here awhile. Not as long as some. I've always had a very simple understanding of the way things are here at Bladeforums.

Spark owns Bladeforums. He is the sole owner. There are no shareholders. There is no board of directors. As the owner, Spark can do whatever he wants with HIS forum. If he wanted to shut it all down today and go black, or turn it into a stamp collecting forum, there isn't a thing anyone could do about it.

As the owner, Spark makes the rules. And Spark gets to interpret the rules, HIS rules, on HIS forum, any way he wants. Sparks interpretation of the rules is the only interpretation that matters.

Bladeforums is not a democracy. Decisions regarding the rules, or how the forum is run are not community decisions, they are not decided by a majority vote.

And I have always known, that if I disagree with any of this, if I disagree with how this forum is run, or any decisions made by Spark or his staff, that I always have the freedom to leave. No one is forcing me to be here. Being here has never been a matter of life or death.

But there is another thing I'd like to mention. Something I believe is very important that I think people should remember-

Spark has kept this forum going, year after year, without interruption for us to enjoy and benefit from. He kept it going through the great recession, and he's kept it going through this pandemic. And I have no doubt that doing so has involved a great deal of sacrifice on his part, in time, money, and aggravation.

Spark isn't some millionaire sitting in a mansion somewhere counting his money, he's a regular guy, he sells knives. Spark doesn't get rich off Bladeforums, he's kept it going as long as he has because just like the rest of us, he has a passion for knives, and he wanted to provide a place online for people like us to share that passion.

Spark has kept this forum alive, he laid out the welcome mat for us, offered us his hospitality, and the fruit of his labor. And for that I am grateful.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you are all well and have a merry Christmas.

Last edited:
I've been around here awhile. Not as long as some. I've always had a very simple understanding of the way things are here at Bladeforums.

Spark owns Bladeforums. He is the sole owner. There are no shareholders. There is no board of directors. As the owner, Spark can do whatever he wants with HIS forum. If he wanted to shut it all down today and go black, or turn it into a stamp collecting forum, there isn't a thing anyone could do about it.

As the owner, Spark makes the rules. And Spark gets to interpret the rules, HIS rules, on HIS forum, any way he wants. Sparks interpretation of the rules is the only interpretation that matters.

Bladeforums is not a democracy. Decisions regarding the rules, or how the forum is run are not community decisions, they are not decided by a majority vote.

And I have always known, that if I disagree with any of this, if I disagree with how this forum is run, or any decisions made by Spark or his staff, that I always have the freedom to leave. No one is forcing me to be here. Being here has never been a matter of life or death.

But there is another thing I'd like to mention. Something I believe is very important that I think people should remember-

Spark has kept this forum going, year after year, without interruption for us to enjoy and benefit from. He kept it going through the great recession, and he's kept it going through this pandemic. And I have no doubt that doing so has involved a great deal of sacrifice on his part, in time, money, and aggravation.

Spark isn't some millionaire sitting in a mansion somewhere counting his money, he's a regular guy, he sells knives. Spark doesn't get rich off Bladeforums, he's kept it going as long as he has because just like the rest of us, he has a passion for knives, and he wanted to create a place online for people like us to share that passion.

Spark has kept this forum alive, he laid out the welcome mat for us, offered us his hospitality, and the fruit of his labor. And for that I am grateful.

Absolutely well said......Brilliant post.

Bladeforums is a second knife home to many of us and without Kevin that just would never have happened.

Running and moderating a forum is a thankless task, everyone thinks they can do it better until they try. Some of the people on this thread should climb off their high horse and be bloody grateful we have such a great place to meet and transact every day.

With what is going on in the world right now Bladeforums has never been more important to so many of us who are far away and alone. We find a small part of the web to meet with like minded people and share our passion safely. All that is facilitated by Kevin for a few penny's per day.

I've said it before and I will say it again......Spark thank you for all you do here for us.:thumbsup:

Spark isn't some millionaire sitting in a mansion somewhere counting his money, he's a regular guy, he sells knives. Spark doesn't get rich off Bladeforums, he's kept it going as long as he has because just like the rest of us, he has a passion for knives, and he wanted to provide a place online for people like us to share that passion.

I love this forum also. That's one of the reasons that I purchased a membership.

Hehehe....think how Mike Turber would've handled this! :p:p:D Only shrapnel would've remained :rolleyes:

Good job Spark, remember; hatters gonna hate!

Maybe someday my troubles will be only such as this ;):thumbsup:

Hate is a very insidious emotion - and most people tend to become what they claim to hate. I really don't believe that 'hate' is what is going on here. I believe that many people are just hurt and upset about TM being a dealer here.

Spark Spark I hope you will reconsider this. To me, it cheapens a dealer membership if a shop straight out of China with a large number of clones is on the same level of legitimacy on Bladeforums as DLT, BHQ, Knife center, etc.
This seems to be a step backwards for BF. I have seen several people flamed for defending clones, now this site is allowing them to be sold here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back