BladeHQ Kershaw Skyline XL

B.F.U

Basic Member
I saw this on BladeHQ today, and did a search for any threads regarding it and couldn't find any.

What does everybody think of this?

In an old thread people seemed to think it defeated the purpose of the Skyline; a small lightweight easy to carry simple folder. I however, what I liked about the Skyline was the simple ergonomic handle, one liner, utilitarian blade shape, and good price for American made and good enough steel. This new XL version however is made in China with 8cr13mov.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Skyline-XL-Flipper-Knife-OD--70997

If the price is right... I like the design but the choice of steel is a bit of a turnoff. I haven't bought a kershaw in years.

If they think it defeats the purpose they probably want a mini instead. With so many shrunken offerings I think kershaw is doing the right thing.

Under 4 oz, 3.75" blade? If I could be sure it functioned as well as the normal skyline and it had a better steel I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Looks really cool, but I wouldn't buy it due to where it's made and the steel choice.

Change it to S30V, carbon fiber, and USA made (like the old BladeHQ special edition of the original Skyline) and you've got a really great knife here.

I was never real fond of my Skyline either way. Pivot doesn't stay tight, can be fixed with loctite of course, but to make it any kind of centered it doesn't even open. Very bad tolerances on mine it would appear. That and the liner comes in contact with the blade at all times and leaves a wear mark.

Change it to S30V, carbon fiber, and USA made (like the old BladeHQ special edition of the original Skyline) and you've got a really great knife here.

That'd be great, but definitely much more expensive.

If they think it defeats the purpose they probably want a mini instead. With so many shrunken offerings I think kershaw is doing the right thing.

I agree, I really like the size. It would fit my hand much better. Though I actually think I'd like a shrunken/mini Skyline better than the original size also.

I'll have to buy them because...well, they're Skylines. But...I'm a little disappointed to see a model that's been traditionally made in the US transition to overseas production. I hope this isn't a trend for Skylines in the future.

i like many chinese brands and made knives and i like a bigger folder. i never wanted a skyline due to it's smaller size....... but this one without made in america, and better steel isn't doing much for me.

I'll keep an eye on it, I suppose...I'm having a hard enough time adjusting to the 8cr13mov on Kershaw's recent Al Mar collabs

Lord help me, I'm becoming a steel snob

I'll keep an eye on it, I suppose...I'm having a hard enough time adjusting to the 8cr13mov on Kershaw's recent Al Mar collabs

I cant really blame you. I personally use 8cr13 only in the kitchen anymore. And its simply because i wanted to find a reason to use my spyderco resilience

I picked up the Kershaw/Al Mar AM3 and I was really impressed with the fit and finish. Kershaw did a really nice job with this one. I wish it was full manual with a little better steel though. It's made me decide to eventually take the plunge on an Al Mar Falcon though, so I guess it did it's job, lol.

The knife that first really gave me the bug was my Skyline. I own Chinese knives with 8cr that I like, but downgrading the steel and making overseas kinda doesn't make it a Skyline to me. Especially since (at least to me) it seems like there's less USA made Kershaws these days. Majority of new stuff past 2 years has been imports, some of which I like, but I'd still like to see some more USA made stuff especially non-assisted.

As stated by other members, made in China and the steel choice are the primary reasons I would never by this otherwise good looking knife.

So they made a Skyline worse? No thanks.

Back