Bladeless Multitool Suggestions

I'm looking for recommendations for a blade less multi tool. I know this is blasphemy but I work in a mine and there is a strict no knife policy :eek:.

Its a pain in the ass to hike around with all the tools I need on my vest so I usually just carry my Leatherman around. I would like to move away from having the blade to avoid any problems though...

My main use of the multi tool is stripping/cutting wires and taking apart small equipment with a screwdriver, (flat heads and Phillips). I would like some pliers so I can unscrew covers out in the field. I would love something that is easy to disassemble because the sand literally gets into everything...

Anyways, does anyone have something like this that they could recommend using?

Two options jump to mind, you can go with a knifeless Rebar from Leatherman which gives you scissors in place of one knife blade, and something else (don't remember, but you can figure it out easily) for the other.
Or a SOG powerlock. The advantage with the SOG is that you can get replacement tools, and a set of shims (you need to contact them directly) but then you can set up your own tool. Plus for a few bucks you can get what are essentially blanks for tools if you have access to a grinder. I made a POT tweaker from a can opener for example. They also sell a stripper, but I have not used it. For a few bucks you can get grinder happy on some tools to make them work for you, and no harm if you screw one up. I carried a powerlock for a couple years while a commercial lighting and sound stage tech, I kept the blades in, but only because I used them, if I didn't I could have popped them out. They also have an enclosed cutter, which may be allowable on your worksite. They always were when I did oil and gas work.

There is the full sized bladeless gerber
mp600, the Sog powerlock traveller,
or just go with micro...

Two options jump to mind, you can go with a knifeless Rebar from Leatherman which gives you scissors in place of one knife blade, and something else (don't remember, but you can figure it out easily) for the other.

Actually leatherman screwed the knifeless rebar owners. They removed the plain edge and serrated blades and replaced it with the scissors and nothing.....just an empty space. Really cheap of leatherman to do that. I'm sure they could have found something to put there.

Reactions: MTB
SOG Powerlock Traveler is what I would get. SOG makes a good pliers based multitool.

Other option I see is get the full sized multitool that you like and cut the blade off.

Last edited:
2A109911-AAA2-467C-838A-0469E9D94303.jpeg B1972E1C-A441-4F0A-BC7A-502B795F6E1C.jpeg The Spyderco Spyderench has an adjustable wrench, double pivot pliers, screwdriver bits, files, a 440-C blade, and a pocket clip. It comes apart so you can hold the nut while tightening the screw. The blade is held in place by an E clip, so you can remove the blade when headed to the courthouse, but replace it when going to the farmer’s market. They are out of production but pop up on the bay from time to time.

How will they know if you've got a knife in your pocket , do they search you ?
if not just get whatever multitool you want and don't use the knife blade in front of anyone.

You could also just get say a wingman and replace the blade with an appropriately sized washer.

if not just get whatever multitool you want and don't use the knife blade in front of anyone.

You could also just get say a wingman and replace the blade with an appropriately sized washer.
Depends on the company, yes. Also, depending on the day, I've heard of crews getting searched before they leave the gate after an incident. Would suck to not know they were looking for something until you are in the room. I've had my vehicle checked, bags x-rayed. As the saying goes, "the rules may be stupid and arbitrary, but heaven help you if you break them"

They do actually search you.

The site security will pull you over and look through your stuff for personal phones and whatever else you shouldn’t have.

I’ve been thinking about getting a LM Signal and replacing the blade with the good file/ diamond sharpener. I carry two good pocket knives and don’t need a blade on my multi tool and because it just isn’t a comfortable handle for knife use.

That Spyderwrench is cool!

Could you remove the blade off the most useful multitool for you? If you removed the blade and left the tang in the handle youd have your pick of multitool. Also, I think leatherman makes bladeless models which they used to call TSA compliant(if memory serves).

I’ve been thinking about getting a LM Signal and replacing the blade with the good file/ diamond sharpener. I carry two good pocket knives and don’t need a blade on my multi tool and because it just isn’t a comfortable handle for knife use.
I think if more people felt that way, we would have more choices of tools without blades. I never use the blades on multi-tools (pliers based). Have a knife with me that is quicker to get access to and certainly feels better in the hand to use. It probably cuts a lot better too.

Last edited:
I think if more people felt that way, we would have more choices of tools without blades. I never use the blades on multi-tools (pliers based). Have a knife with me that is quicker to get access to and certainly feels better in the hand to use. It probably cuts a lot better too.

I have said this for years. I rarely use a MT knife. I certainly don't need two blades on my Super Tool and Rebar. Keep one blade and use the other slot for scissors. A nice knifeless version would replace the blades with scissors and maybe a short prybar or scraper.

I understand the thinking of having a blade on a pliers based multi-tool, but I think if manufacturers made versions with and without blades, they would sell just fine. I'm not anti-blade on these tools, I just never use them. It has to be a pure emergency for me to use the blade on a pliers based multi-tool which means I probably forgot a knife that day or lost one. Give me a scissors, file or another tool instead.

I keep spare knives in my field bag (in vehicle)... they really aren't spares in the practical sense, more a size thing to choose if I have a need for a larger blade or a special purpose knife that I might use for scraping or something that I seldom do but do it often enough to have a special purpose knife for this (Razels have been my choice for this). A squared multi-edge razel type blade might be a good choice for a multi-tool instead of a regular knife blade.

Added: I would definitely keep the standard flat head screwdriver blade as folks would likely use the sharpened edge of the razel type blade as a screw driver and ruin it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTB
Seeing as how Leatherman has been around for 30+ years, I think its past time they have a customizable multitool. In my mind, its very simple. Take any of the most popular MTs(wave, surge, rebar, ST300) as the frame for the custom tool. Designate side one and side two. Number each slot. Create tools that fit according to the slot size that customers can pick and choose from. I am envisioning something kind of like what you see on car website where you choose features and the model car changes as you choose new options.

Seeing as how Leatherman has been around for 30+ years, I think its past time they have a customizable multitool. In my mind, its very simple. Take any of the most popular MTs(wave, surge, rebar, ST300) as the frame for the custom tool. Designate side one and side two. Number each slot. Create tools that fit according to the slot size that customers can pick and choose from. I am envisioning something kind of like what you see on car website where you choose features and the model car changes as you choose new options.
Its not that easy. SOG does it, and its a "feature" that few people actually use. Between tolerance stacking, friction, tension setting, and layouts, its not as easy as you think. Setting up my Powerlock took many hours, you need to layout where the nail nicks go, fit the plier jaws, left/right bias on driver bits... It all adds up. Could LM change their tool pivots and sell tools individually? Sure, but that locks them into keeping the same design specs and tolerances. SOG has already run into this with their line, which is why they have the piano-lock, which to some is a poor compromise. Yes it could be done, but will the market tolerate the added costs? Or is close enough, good enough? In a car you are not worried about your stereo option interfering with your gas pedal. Also, with a car you pay for options you don't use, even if you don't buy the option, you pay for the design time to make the option possible. In many cases the market tolerates the cost, but not always. You have to make a trade somewhere, cost, comfort, fit and finish, design, customization.

G gadgetgeek I think I would be happy with a couple different full and medium sized multi-tool options without blades as done by the trusted manufacturer (Leatherman, Victorinox or SOG) to choose from. These would essentially get carried when I need a multi-tool and stashed inside my field bag or a small tool bag with other flexible use tools away from home. I would likely carry one when I travel one way or another simply for the portability and a lot better than nothing functionality.

Back