Blades and Bass (fish)

That's a serious fish right there! How long did you fight that thing? I probably would've been pulled overboard in about a minute :)

Just under an hour

I was using the boats rod and a hookie (rod gimbal) that I brought

the rod was more suited to a chair vs stand up gear so it was harder to keep pressure on

Opposite end of the size spectrum from Joe's. A California Golden Trout, a bucket list fish for many flyrodders. From one of the two historic birthplaces of this species, The South Fork of the Kern. At this locale, (one of the few places you can drive to to fish for these guys), they are hybrids due to the accessibility. They maintain the size (bout as big as they get) and markings of a pure Golden and have some coloration of a rainbow. Extremely educated fish, (this pool is in a campground that sees a lot of traffic throughout the summer), presentation, drift, no drag etc have to be just right or no go. I caught three out of three different pools and it could of been the same fish they were so identical.

6LrEPYr.jpg

xNeZgVP.jpg

Tough casting, but a little 3 weight rod and a hopper attractor pattern did the trick. The knife I was carrying after castrating a calf at one of our brandings:

wSSRIZQ.jpg

Another beautiful fish and knife combo right there Dave! Ive been looking at your Sonoran knife as I think you recommended it in the “what do you look for in a Bird and trout” thread. How do your handles hold up in wet/slippery conditions? Never had a horn or bone handled knife before...

Another beautiful fish and knife combo right there Dave! Ive been looking at your Sonoran knife as I think you recommended it in the “what do you look for in a Bird and trout” thread. How do your handles hold up in wet/slippery conditions? Never had a horn or bone handled knife before...

Ya know its never been a problem for me. I also have LOTS of knives out there being used on a daily basis and I've never heard from a customer that the handle (of any material) was slippery. I also think that the shape of the handle has more to do with the usability of the knife in slippery conditions then most give it credit for. Some natural materials like sheephorn and ivory get grippier when wet. The wife castrating a large calf. Things can get slippery then:

0UECzKT.jpg

Qt3u38m.jpg

c17ne26.jpg

Her knife is one of my damascus Gordos with blue stag carved bone handle.

MHLEZrG.jpg

Fishing the North Fork of the Kern for its own sub species, The Kern River Rainbow:

NZRSJuO.jpg

A species that still eludes me.

Just opened this up and saw your post while I was eating kippers for lunch.

Back