Blades at Work: In Television and the Cinema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's steer this thread in a different direction: I would like to talk about knives in movies that are portrayed as tools rather than weapons. It is one of the thing that I really liked about the the original First Blood movie.

n2s

Let's steer this thread in a different direction: I would like to talk about knives in movies that are portrayed as tools rather than weapons. It is one of the thing that I really liked about the the original First Blood movie.

n2s

Rambo did use his knife as a weapon in "First Blood". As I recall, he stabbed one deputy in the leg, and held his knife to the sheriffs throat drawing blood. It was also implied that he used it to kill one of the Dobermans- "Because whatever killed that last dog was no bullet!".

Last edited:
Rambo did use his knife as a weapon in "First Blood". As I recall, he stabbed one deputy in the leg, and held his knife to the sheriffs throat drawing blood. It was also implied that he used it to kill one of the Dobermans- "Because whatever killed that last dog was no bullet!".

Yes, but most of the actual footage had the knife used primarily as a survival tool.

n2s

Yes, but most of the actual footage had the knife used primarily as a survival tool.

n2s

Not arguing with you :), clearly we are both fans of the movie. I post this as a fan.

I'll list from memory all the scenes involving Rambos knife in "First Blood"-

1. The sheriff finds the knife during search of Rambo on the street.

2. Sheriff tosses knife on desk at station.

3. Dep. Gault (I believe) uses knife to slice paper.

4. Rambo grabs knife and sticks it in his waistband on his way out of station.

5. Rambo uses compass in knife handle to get his bearing.

6. Rambo uses knife to cut canvas into poncho.

7. Rambo uses suture in knife handle to sew cut in his arm.

8. Rambo uses knife to sharpen stakes for booby-trap for his pursuers.

9. Rambo uses knife against deps. and sheriff (previously mentioned).

10. Rambo turns knife into spear to kill boar.

11. Rambo uses knife to cut piece off of cooking boar.

12. Rambo brandishes knife when he runs into young hunter (thus alerting National Guard to his position).

13. Rambo turns knife into temporary makeshift torch (after he's trapped in the mine).

14. Rambo uses knife to threaten National Guardsman in truck with m60 machine gun.

15. Rambo uses knife to break open canisters of gun powder in store.

Yep, I've seen the movie, oh, a few times :D.

I think that's it, but it's possible I may have forgotten one. I'd appreciate it if you, or anyone else, could post any that I haven't mentioned.

Last edited:

Great point.

woFd7zp.jpg

Why, S SanLuisObispo ? Isn't that kinda spammy?

Can we get a mod cleanup in aisle 6?

It is not a movie but on the television show NCIS the character Special Agent Gibbs is always pulling out his ZT knife to cut something or jimmy open a door.

Last edited:
It's interesting, movies like Rebel Without a Cause (the opening and ending clips), helped lead to the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958, plus a multitude of state and local laws.

I liked in the Dukes of Hazard, they both always had Buck 110’s on their belts. They almost never got used, when they did it was for utility never as a weapon. That’s the kind of knife public relations we need.

Most notably to dig bullets out of a board to prove Daisy hit the same spot twice.

It's interesting, movies like Rebel Without a Cause (the opening and ending clips), helped lead to the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958, plus a multitude of state and local laws.

Actually, an article entitled "The Toy That Kills" in an edition of the magazine "Woman's Home Companion" , in November of 1950, portraying a violent, dystopian world of kids running the streets armed with switchblades is widely credited with starting the hysteria, and the political opportunism that led to the Federal Switchblade Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back