Blades & Bourbon

AvngIEr.jpg

I grabbed a picture of some locked up stock at my local liquor store today for you folks that get your boozes at MSRP. We certainly don't in these parts.:mad:

Amen, brother!

But, you've convinced me to go back to my local shop and buy that bottle of Michter's 10 for "just" $230 ($250 including tax).

It's the only +$200 bottle of anything that I want to buy but I just spent $175 on a newly released $350 Spyderco knife and I'm feeling generous but that's the last time that I spend that much $ for a bottle of booze whether it's wine or liquour.

I promise! Fingers crossed. LOL! ;)

Amen, brother!

But, you've convinced me to go back to my local shop and buy that bottle of Michter's 10 for "just" $230 ($250 including tax).

It's the only +$200 bottle of anything that I want to buy but I just spent $175 on a newly released $350 Spyderco knife and I'm feeling generous but that's the last time that I spend that much $ for a bottle of booze whether it's wine or liquour.

I promise! Fingers crossed. LOL! ;)
Nice!
Which Spyderco?
I've been waiting for one of the new Native Chiefs....

The fate of this bottle of Old Forester is sealed.
I think this is the third Statesman I've (will be) polished off since its release, delicious.
For the weekend I've got a Boulevardier infusion working.
Cacao nibs, espresso beans, charred oak, etc. It's coming along nicely.:)
I'll post up the particulars over the weekend after I've had a few.
cGIYQ7b.jpg

Nice!
Which Spyderco?

The black DLC plain edge Autonomy 2 that I've been been waiting for and that was just released and just became available on Spyderco.com and from certain vendors.

I buy from Spyderco because, as an OpFocus member, I get it cheaper that way and only buy from vendors or other 3rd party sellers if I need to do so.

Last edited:
The black DLC plain edge Autonomy 2 that I've been been waiting for and that was just released and just became available on Spyderco.com and from certain vendors.

I buy from Spyderco because, as an Opfoucs member, I get it cheaper that way and only buy from vendors or other 3rd party sellers if I need to do so.

Damp... I kinda feel ripped off seeing your price.
I've been eying that knife for about a year tho. Lets drink to both of us !!

Damp... I kinda feel ripped off seeing your price.
I've been eying that knife for about a year tho. Lets drink to both of us !!

Cheers!

Am currently tasting an oz of Elijah Craigh Barrel Proof (132.8 Proof) on ice and raising my glass to you. :)

Last edited:
Cheers!

Am currently tasting an oz of Elijah Craigh Barrel Proof (132.8 Proof) on ice and raising the glass to you. :)

Um... I'm going to drink twice to you.
I had no idea about this opfocus program.
I've been overpaying for almost a year.

Cheers !!

Um... I'm going to drink twice to you.
I had no idea about this opfocus program.
I've been overpaying for almost a year.

Cheers !!

The OpFocus is a great program!

I was paying too much for Spyderco knives for over a year too before I discovered it.

Unfortunately, some members were abusing the program and Spyderco now limits OpFocus purchases to just 10 a year, which should be fine for most people.

Despite owning over 130 Spydercos, I don't recall ever buying more than 10 knives from Spyderco in a year.

Spyderco now also added language to make it a violation of the program to "resell" any knife purchased in the program, resulting in the loss of membership privileges to anyone discovered doing so. Also a good idea.

The OpFocus is a great program!

I was paying too much for Spyderco knives for over a year too before I discovered it.

Unfortunately, some members were abusing the program and Spyderco now limits OpFocus purchases to just 10 a year, which should be fine for most people.

Despite owning over 130 Spydercos, I don't recall ever buying more than 10 knives from Spyderco in a year.

Spyderco now also added language to make it a violation of the program to "resell" any knife purchased in the program, resulting in the loss of membership privileges to anyone discovered doing so. Also a good idea.

I did notice the 10 limit.
I'm fine with all those rules, although I have bought 3 just this month, I'll admit with shame.

Pity that people were abusing the program.
Anything for a buck I suppose.
Doesn't align with my way of thinking.

I'm grateful to know about it though.
Thank you again.

I been enjoying a bottle of each myself. I grab Taylors any time I come across a bottle - I find myself drinking the small batch often, but the SB is really good.
Small batch is much easier to find than any of the other varieties, at least where I am.

Small batch is much easier to find than any of the other varieties, at least where I am.
Sad but true, luckily I have a few bottles of the SB and Rye in the back of cabinet, but I have yet to come across any of the yearly releases for anything close to MSRP - there is a bottle of the 18 year marriage in a shop in town, but he wants $2,000 for it.

It was a nice day, so I decided to take a drive in my Vette to a local liquor store about 20 miles from my house that specializes in craft beers and hard to find spirits.

So, I bit the bullet and bought that bottle of Michter's 10 that I saw there last week for $230. Saw it priced online for around $200, so I don't feel as ripped off buying it for $230. As they say, "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."

Have no plans to open it any time soon. Have so much bourbon now that it'll take me years to drink it all. However, my bottle of Michter's US1 is getting low and I need to buy another bottle of that one soon.

There were also 2 bottles of Weller on the shelf next to the Michter's 10 -- 1 bottle of Weller Special Reserve for $55 and 1 bottle of Weller 12 for $250. The Weller 12 was there before but not the Special Reserve. Bought the Special Reserve but not planning to open it anytime soon either.

Will save them both for a "special" occasion. Just glad to have found/bought them since they are so rare in my area.

OPDmZjs.jpg

Last edited:
Some great finds on the last couple of pages ! :thumbsup:
My local Bourbon Buddies and I went trough few nice bottles, most memorable was the Cream of Kentucky 13 yo,
real Cream, unbelievable pour:

flFGle.jpg

Another new bottle for me was the Horse Soldier, that is Straight Bourbon from a company located in my neighbor town of St Pete FL. Besides the interesting looking bottle, it didn't impress me, but it could be me, most of my friends like it, to me it was tasting to young, too much oak in the palate, not really my type of juice but wasn't bad overall...

YOwNH7.jpg

Otherwise, during the few cold days we currently have here in FL, I'm finishing few outstanding leftovers:

9Llo9n.jpg

jEbBcG.jpg

0wYbki.jpg

XoF23Y.jpg

Special Notice: 2000th Post! ;)

Another nice day for a drive, so took the BMW out for a jaunt to a specialty wine/liquor store in Mill Valley.

They didn't really have anything on my list to buy but saw a bottle of Pinhook Bourbon War Vertical Series 5 year (2020 release) that I decided to buy. Knew it was "overpriced" relative to TWM but wanted to have something to show for the drive.

2020110513_pinhook_vertical_series_bourbon_war_5_year_old_shadow_original.png

Not going to open it right away. Have a bottle of Bohemian Burbon (95, not High, Proof) that I need to finish 1st. Also have a bottle of Bohemian Bourbon High Proof (114.5%) which is why I want/need to kill the other bottle 1st. They're both good but no point having 2 of the same brand.

This particular bottle of Bourbon War is the 2nd in the series and will they will continue bottling another in the series each year for the next 8 years. So, I'll plan to buy a bottle of the series every year at least until the 12 year, if I live so long. ;)

Only negative of the trip, I curbed a wheel (pissed me off) and will have to get the mobile wheel repair guy to come out and fix it. :(

Last edited:
This is very good Bourbon, Cheers Marty !
I look it up online, the Vintage Wine and Spirits downtown Mill Valley have it for the same price that goes here in FL. I found also few other excellent bottles, you might want to try it further down the line: The Woodinville Port Finish and Wilderness Trail 6 yo BIB, both great pours at very affordable price.

For everyone interested of details of the excellent Pinhook line, there is a free app, that details everyone of those releases, it's called "Pinhook AR" I'm not sure if I can post link to it, but if you google it, it'll show up, it is really educational and also,
they give you option of texting them about release you are interested and if they can, they will send you a bottle ( not for free...) :D

qEExBuHFyiWvWNfitpkIu67oZspnfz5bfSSp3XL4sXgas6xrU6rZV6r7O3b7yHR8S3Q=w720-h310-rw

One of my favorite Pinhook juices - The initial bottling of the 2 years old Rye (Horse name Bourbon N Rye) and the same juice, bottled in the Vertical Series as "Tiz Rye Time" in higher proof and already 4 years old. My personal preference is the 2 yo, but this just could be me, that's why we are all different... :D
BTW, they sold out completely of the Bourbon N Rye, if you come across a bottle of it, forgotten somewhere in the shelves, it was around $30-$36, buy it, you won't regret it.

MCBLKA.jpg

Last edited:
This is very good Bourbon, Cheers Marty !

Thanks!

I look it up online, the Vintage Wine and Spirits downtown Mill Valley have it for the same price that goes here in FL. I found also few other excellent bottles, you might want to try it further down the line: The Woodinville Port Finish and Wilderness Trail 6 yo BIB, both great pours at very affordable price.

My local TWM sells Vertical 5 for for $47 -- about $8 less than the store in Mill Valley. So, at least something, is cheaper here than in FL. LOL! ;)

Bought/opened a bottle of Woodinville last week and enjoyed it. Also have a bottle of port finished Angel's Envy that is very good as well.

They stock Wilderness Trail 6 BIB at the TWM for $70 in San Ramon (one of 2 TWMs that I frequent), as well as their Black & Yellow label single barrel bourbons and Green label single barrel cask strength rye.

Wilderness Trail 6 BIB has some mixed and so/so reviews but I'll give it a try down the road. Thanks for the tip!

<snip>

One of my favorite Pinhook juices - The initial bottling of the 2 years old Rye (Horse name Bourbon N Rye) and the same juice, bottled in the Vertical Series as "Tiz Rye Time" in higher proof and already 4 years old. My personal preference is the 2 yo, but this just could be me, that's why we are all different... :D

BTW, they sold out completely of the Bourbon N Rye, if you come across a bottle of it, forgotten somewhere in the shelves, it was around $30-$36, buy it, you won't regret it.

I've seen quite a few bottles of Pinhook Rye on the shelf hereabouts, including the Rye Vertical Series but I'm sticking w/the traditional bourbons for now.

I'm sure I'm "missing out" but there's only so much whiskey a non-alcoholic (which hopefully I still am) can drink.

My liquor "cabinet" currently includes 23 bottles of bourbon and 38 bottles of scotch, not including the miscellaneous other bottles of gin, rum, tequila, etc.

Double LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Back