Blades & Bourbon

So, here's a Zoom event that even bourbon people may want to join:

2016 Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Virtual Release Day

The reason is evident from the list for guests which includes:

• Julian P. Van Winkle III (Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery)
• Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing)
• Trey Zoeller (Jefferson's Bourbon)
• Clay Risen (author of American Whiskey, Bourbon & Rye: A Guide to the Nation’s Favorite Spirit)

The topic is: American Oak: From California to Kentucky.

So, the discussion apparently will be focused (at least in part) on the American oak barrels used in aging bourbons. There will be an intial discussion of Silver Oak's new Cab release and then the discussion of American Oak.

It's free and scheduled for Sat Feb 6th at 1pm (PST) and if it's not to your liking, you can obviously just sign out.

Update:

I "attended" the Webinar today and, while interesting, the panel didn't really say all that much that would inform anyone about how they go about choosing/selecting casks to use in aging/flavoring their bourbons but it was interesting to see the faces behind the names of Jefferson Ocean and Pappy Van Winkle.

Was interesting to hear Trey Zoeller say why he chose to "age" his bourbon on the ocean; the movement of the bourbon in the barrels while at sea apparently affects its flavor. On the other hand, Julian Winkle really didn't say anything about how he goes about making his bourbon but did reveal that the people at Buffalo Trace have more to do w/the casking than he does.

Don't think I'll ever have the pleasure of tasting any Pappy in my lifetime but the discussion did pique my interest in trying some Jefferson's Ocean just to see if I taste any difference in their unique aging method.

Last edited:
Did you get salt in the finish?
I tried Ocean, once; and it was there (and off-putting, for me). I've been reluctant to revisit it.

I smiled at low proof comment. There was a time that 90 proof stood out; but I, too, have come to favor higher proof in bourbons.

*The Jefferson Ocean was a "blind" tasting; I didn't know what it was, so knowledge of the process didn't color my opinion

Well... I did not to be honest with you. Considering the angel share is leaving the barrel, I can't imagine much of a salt from the ocean spray to get in but it is possible. I find it very smooth, not necessary huge taste, but still complex juice. Jefferson's is not my favorite bourbon even I like MGP, but besides this "Voyage", I tried, I believe #7 and just the normal line that didn't have anything to do with the Ocean, I like it both in a way but nothing memorable, IMO.
"Low proof" I guess comes from what I'm used to with the Bourbons, most Single malts and Scotch I enjoy are even lower - 42-43% ABV and Bourbon goes for "Low Proof" when is below 45-50% ABV, if you're used to Single Barrels or Barrel Proofs, it goes much higher but this where all the taste is and also you can delude it to your particular comfort level, that's why I dropped the "Low Proof", probably coming from the Bourbon standards... :D:thumbsup:

Ue63QQt.jpg

Friday’s been earned! Looking forward to these picks!

Both of those Bull Run bottles should be very good! Cheers in advance !

I had a chance on Friday to taste the 16 yo Woodford Reserve, one of my all time favorite brands.
Absolutely gorgeous pour, loved every drop of it ! The pictured Noble Oak was introduced to me in the store as "Poor man's Woodford reserve Double Oak" even the price difference is only about $10... Not bad at all, worth the try.

xR3beJ.jpg

y92MDJ.jpg

sJU0Mp.jpg

On the other hand, last night was more of a Scotch night, even I enjoyed the excellent Michter's too.

T9Sw8q.jpg

I like the Balvenie very much, everything but the peated one, but I enjoyed the most the 17 yo Macalan,
it was great pour ! Cheers !

RrHxV6.jpg

Both of those Bull Run bottles should be very good! Cheers in advance !

I had a chance on Friday to taste the 16 yo Woodford Reserve, one of my all time favorite brands.
Absolutely gorgeous pour, loved every drop of it ! The pictured Noble Oak was introduced to me in the store as "Poor man's Woodford reserve Double Oak" even the price difference is only about $10... Not bad at all, worth the try.

xR3beJ.jpg

y92MDJ.jpg

sJU0Mp.jpg

On the other hand, last night was more of a Scotch night, even I enjoyed the excellent Michter's too.

T9Sw8q.jpg

I like the Balvenie very much, everything but the peated one, but I enjoyed the most the 17 yo Macalan,
it was great pour ! Cheers !

RrHxV6.jpg

Have you tried that 1792 full proof yet? I found a bottle this past weekend and I have mixed feelings about it. I definitely prefer higher proof, but this one was different than what I was expecting. Brad

Yes I did. Actually this is one of my favorites 1792. Not because it was world whiskey of the 2020 according to Jim Murray, but because I really like it.
I'd say, maybe you're experiencing the "neck pour" effect... :D It's possible you feel the ethanol more strongly in the first pour, if you leave it for a month or two, I bet it'll taste differently.
One thing to keep in mind for everyone that like 1792 - In one of my go-to stores in Tampa, I heard from the owner, that Sazerack sold the label and the store owner had to remove all the bottles from the shelf till further notice from the new owner (distributor). So they will be lots of stores that will take 1792 off the shelves and who knows if they'll show up again with the same quality...
So I'm stocking on few of those Full Proof bottles in case they disappear as the Bourbon N Rye from Pinhook or as the 5 years old, first release of Old Scout, both of high value right now if you can find them on the secondary market... :cool::thumbsdown:
Otherwise, I did love the Barton labels still when 1792 was 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, later Brown Forman sued them because the label was too close to "Woodford Reserve" and won, so they changed the name to only 1792. Still, I don't care about the name, it's great juice IMO... :D:thumbsup:
I still have left overs from a very special Ridgemont Reserve, as well as I'm enjoying the 1792 Fool Proof.

44sn5h.jpg

1oFXjn.jpg

Yes I did. Actually this is one of my favorites 1792. Not because it was world whiskey of the 2020 according to Jim Murray, but because I really like it.

I've only tasted 1 dram from my bottle of 1792 Full Proof. Liked it but it didn't stand out for me. Perhaps after the next tasting.

On the other hand, I Just opened my bottle of Pinhook Vertical 5 and it did stand out. So, much so that I am leary of drinking too much of it, since it is hard to find in my area but I've got lots of other bourbons to sip in the interim.

Just finished off a bottle of Michter's US1 Small Batch and bought another to replace it. It's one of my faves. Still haven't opened the bottle of Michter's 10 that I scored. Given the price, I don't plan to open it, until the suitable occasion arises.

Apart from that, I'm just opening/drinking random drams of scotch. Most recently a very smooth Highland Dahlwhinnie 15 and 2 unpeated Islays - Bunnahabhain 12 and Kilchoman Machir Bay. All great pours.

The Dalhwhinnie is great neat w/o water and a bargain at only $50 at Trader Joe's, where I can also buy Laphroig 10 for around $40.

Last edited:
I've only tasted 1 dram from my bottle of 1792 Full Proof. Liked it but it didn't stand out for me. Perhaps after the next tasting.
It could be complex but you need to put little water in it and leave it for 5-10min, it'll give you completely different taste than the neck pour, IMO.
The Dalhwhinnie is great neat w/o water and a bargain at only $50 at Trader Joe's, where I can also buy Laphroig 10 for around $40.
Totally agree, the Dalhwhinnie is great Scotch for the money ! Laphroig - not my cup o'tea... :rolleyes: Never developed taste for such peated juice.

I'd say, maybe you're experiencing the "neck pour" effect... :D It's possible you feel the ethanol more strongly in the first pour, if you leave it for a month or two, I bet it'll taste differently.
One thing to keep in mind for everyone that like 1792 - In one of my go-to stores in Tampa, I heard from the owner, that Sazerack sold the label and the store owner had to remove all the bottles from the shelf till further notice from the new owner (distributor). So they will be lots of stores that will take 1792 off the shelves and who knows if they'll show up again with the same quality...
So I'm stocking on few of those Full Proof bottles in case they disappear as the Bourbon N Rye from Pinhook or as the 5 years old, first release of Old Scout, both of high value right now if you can find them on the secondary market... :cool::thumbsdown:
Otherwise, I did love the Barton labels still when 1792 was 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, later Brown Forman sued them because the label was too close to "Woodford Reserve" and won, so they changed the name to only 1792. Still, I don't care about the name, it's great juice IMO... :D:thumbsup:
I still have left overs from a very special Ridgemont Reserve, as well as I'm enjoying the 1792 Fool Proof.

44sn5h.jpg

1oFXjn.jpg

That was my hope on the Full Proof, to put it away for a little bit and try it again. It definitely was not that I didn't like it, but between the ethanol feel and the crazy amount of flavors going on I was not sure how I felt about it. The Bottled In Bond 1792 this year is absolutely stellar, top 10 all time favorites for me for sure. I had a similar experience with Old Ezra 7, that stuff was so darn hot initially that I felt like I couldn't even taste it, so I put it away for a month and when I revisited it I had a whole different experience. Brad

My precious... Princess Leia, Bourbon and tantos. Cheers Gents !

xS8jiK.jpg

Ah, you're killing me!

A bottle of Weller 12 is still sitting on the shelf at my LLS (local liqour store) priced at $250, which is what? - about 6x's retail? Well, it's there for the taking if I break down and just buy it but I'm resisting.

For how long, I can't say. LOL! ;)

BTW, I'm sipping on a dram of Johnny Walker Double Black as I speak.

... The Bottled In Bond 1792 this year is absolutely stellar, top 10 all time favorites for me for sure. I had a similar experience with Old Ezra 7, that stuff was so darn hot initially that I felt like I couldn't even taste it, so I put it away for a month and when I revisited it I had a whole different experience. Brad
I absolutely agree, this is the way to do it IMO. :D:thumbsup:
A bottle of Weller 12 is still sitting on the shelf at my LLS (local liquor store) priced at $250, which is what? - about 6x's retail?
Man, we had the Wellers tonight and it was unbelievable experience, I'll see if I can find you a 12 YO cheaper, friend of mine gave it to me, got it from the ABC Vault for $36 or so...
Please, don't pay $200+ for it, it's worth every penny but still this is way overpriced...
Cheers Gents !
SCi0pv.jpg

EgpfGf.jpg

kXIgvZ.jpg

Reactions: JAB
Man, we had the Wellers tonight and it was unbelievable experience, I'll see if I can find you a 12 YO cheaper, friend of mine gave it to me, got it from the ABC Vault for $36 or so...
Please, don't pay $200+ for it, it's worth every penny but still this is way overpriced...

Can't/won't promise anything.

I realize the bottle of Weller 12 that I've seen at my LLS is way overpriced BUT it's the ONLY such bottle that I've seen anywhere for any price in my area.

Given that I routinely spend $100-200 on a bottle of wine that I can drink in just an hour or so w/dinner (including the 2 bottles of Silver Oak 2010 Cab that I just spent $250 on), spending $250 on a bottle of bourbon that will probably last me years (because I have so many others to drink) doesn't really concern me.

I'm actually at the point that there are few other bourbons that I care to buy and (like knives) a "bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."

Not ready to buy it quite yet but, if there's nothing else left that interests me, I may buy it just to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.

We'll see . . .

Can't/won't promise anything.

I realize the bottle of Weller 12 that I've seen at my LLS is way overpriced BUT it's the ONLY such bottle that I've seen anywhere for any price in my area.

Given that I routinely spend $100-200 on a bottle of wine that I can drink in just an hour or so w/dinner (including the 2 bottles of Silver Oak 2010 Cab that I just spent $250 on), spending $250 on a bottle of bourbon that will probably last me years (because I have so many others to drink) doesn't really concern me.

I'm actually at the point that there are few other bourbons that I care to buy and (like knives) a "bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."

Not ready to buy it quite yet but, if there's nothing else left that interests me, I may buy it just to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.

We'll see . . .
Lol, on the other hand, if I had a supply of Weller around my parts at $36 a bottle I'd need to find the nearest rehab.:confused:
Kind of glad the premiums are priced accordingly.

Lol, on the other hand, if I had a supply of Weller around my parts at $36 a bottle I'd need to find the nearest rehab.:confused:
Kind of glad the premiums are priced accordingly.

OBTW, this is what people are apparently willing to pay for Weller 12 in Europe at an auction ending tomorrow.

See: Whisky Auctioneer - Current Bid for a Bottle of Weller 12

This is the current "high bid" for various lots of Weller 12: £132 = $181.31 US plus £60 = $82.42 for shipping to the US plus a 10% buyers fee ($18.31) and a 3% ($5.44) damage/loss insurance for a total of $287.48.

Of course, the bid for this lot (or other lots) of Weller 12 to sell for even more. So, this doesn't make the bottle of Weller 12 at my LLS for $250 plus 9.25% sales tax for a total of $273.13 seem like such a "bad deal" at all.

LOL! ;)

Update:

The bottle of Weller 12 above sold for £192 or $263.73. So, if you bought it for shipment to the US, the total cost would have been $380.44!!!

There were other bottles that sold for much less, the lowest bid for those was £112 or $153.84 with a total cost of $256.26 shipped to the US, which at that price is pretty much a wash in cost w/the one for sale at my LLS for $250.

Last edited:
Too much money in this thread :) I just got a $17 Fighting Cock, 6yo (per liquor man) and 103 proof. Nice change from my usual $18 a handle 90 proof Ezra Brooks.

Back