Blades & Bourbon

I haven't had a drink in about a week and a half :(

Good for you! :)

I've been booze-free for about a week too but, when I say that, that doesn't mean I've given up "drinking" entirely.

I was just drinking too much bourbon -- as much as 4-6 oz (3 glasses for me) -- a day and killing a full bottle in just 7-10 days.
That was WAY too much "booze," IMO.

However, I'm still drinking 1-2 glasses of wine per day and I'm starting to open some of my vintage and pretty expensive ($120-$200) bottles in the process. Like they say, "You can't take it with you." ;)

I hadn't made a decision to cut back, I just hadn't found myself wanting a drink. Doing 7x12hr nights in a row, and coming home exhausted was certainly part of that. Not being able to break the schedule sucks when I'm off for two weeks, lol; and the WT didn't help - I was up all night, then slept for 5 hrs in the morning.
I do want to sleep tonight, as I have a lot to do tomorrow; so I'll be looking for something to help me shut down in a bit

B Bradass80 I'm pretty sure all of the Bulleit varieties - rye included - have frontier whiskey on the labels (and bottles); but the differences are notable. The single barrel is less commonly seen - I believe the shop selects, and buys, the barrel.
This one is good, but not great. The Bulleit Blender's Select is still my favorite. (I'm going to have to grab a few more bottles, while it's still available)

6-E7-A608-F-69-BE-4-DD8-BADC-823-D1-F5086-DF.jpg

Monterey Bay Knives Field Trekker
Ray Laconico design
3V, Burlap micarta, fine convex edge
Basil Hayden (Out of bookers)

B Bradass80 I'm pretty sure all of the Bulleit varieties - rye included - have frontier whiskey on the labels (and bottles); but the differences are notable. The single barrel is less commonly seen - I believe the shop selects, and buys, the barrel.
This one is good, but not great. The Bulleit Blender's Select is still my favorite. (I'm going to have to grab a few more bottles, while it's still available)
I guess you're right, I never noticed that before. I guess I'm asking about the hand selected single barrel bottle. I also recently saw a Bulleit 12 year rye become available that is intriguing. Brad

Look what I found! :)

It's the 02-2020 "Boston Batch." That's Boston, KY not MA. Aged 6 yrs 3 mos 10 days and bottled at 126.5 Proof.

k0ct5bm.jpg

Found it in a community market near my favorite pizza parlor. I was early and just killing time til the pizza parlor opened and discovered that the market has a small but decent collection of scotch and bourbons but the surprise was to find three (only 2 now) bottles of Booker's sitting there.

Never know where you might find some hard-to-find bourbon. ;)

Adding it to my growing library of bourbons to be opened some time in the future.

Last edited:
Roughly X4 right now if you are lucky to get to the one or two bottles coming in the store, once in a Blue Moon...
This one came from Tampa FL, we were lucky to grab the only bottle for around $180.
I also remember Total Wine shelves full of Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and such, and nobody buying it because they were too expensive compared to the regular Jim Beam lines...
Well, times are changing... :cool:

Roughly X4 right now if you are lucky to get to the one or two bottles coming in the store, once in a Blue Moon...
This one came from Tampa FL, we were lucky to grab the only bottle for around $180.
I also remember Total Wine shelves full of Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and such, and nobody buying it because they were too expensive compared to the regular Jim Beam lines...
Well, times are changing... :cool:

Yeah, the pricing and scarcity of certain bourbons is really crazy compared with scotch.

I'm pretty much "done" collecting bourbon and am soon going to turn my attention back to scotch which is still my preferred form of whiskey and a much better "value" IMO.

Last edited:
I love scotch too but since my "scotch" price range is normally around $50-$70, that fits the bill for a good Bourbon with higher proof and quality,
since the Bourbon and Rye standards are higher here in the US than of the most Scotch companies are following across the pond...
Will see, as I mentioned - we are few guys that are getting together on Friday with whatever we find during the week and when we get to the expensive bottles,
we share the price so it's bearable, $30-$40 per person won't break the bank when we're talking something really rare.
Cheers anyway ! Hope everyone have a nice weekend !

lqgCVl.jpg

I love scotch too but since my "scotch" price range is normally around $50-$70, that fits the bill for a good Bourbon with higher proof and quality,
since the Bourbon and Rye standards are higher here in the US than of the most Scotch companies are following across the pond..

There are a few exceptions but $75-150 is currently my primary target range for a bottle of scotch or bourbon. That's also what I'll pay for a bottle of cab or pinot. What you can buy in this price range in my area is pretty extraordinary whether it's scotch, bourbon or wine.

Currently have nothing to do and am thinking about going over to BevMo to buy a $145 (after a $10 discount) bottle of Balvenie 17yr Double Wood .

I've had my eye on a bottle of Talisker 18 for that's been sitting for a LONG TIME in my local Safeway which I haven't seen anywhere else at any price. There's also a bottle of Weller Antique 107 sitting on the shelf of my LLS for $150 that I'm also still thinking about but still unwilling to pay $300 for a bottle of Weller Full Proof offered there too.

Just sold $3k in knives. So, I have more than enough $ on hand to buy them all (even the Weller Full Proof) if I like, even though I won't. ;)

Update: Bought the Balvenie 17 at BevMo and Talisker 18 at Safeway yesterday and today 5/3. Got a "deal" on the Talisker at "only" $180 (after a previously undisclosed mark down of $50 from $230). :)

Since they're not bourbons, I posted a pic of them here instead: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-whiskey-tribe-and-trade.1683525/page-9#post-20491153

Last edited:
Look what I found! :)

It's the 02-2020 "Boston Batch." That's Boston, KY not MA. Aged 6 yrs 3 mos 10 days and bottled at 126.5 Proof.

k0ct5bm.jpg

Found it in a community market near my favorite pizza parlor. I was early and just killing time til the pizza parlor opened and discovered that the market has a small but decent collection of scotch and bourbons but the surprise was to find three (only 2 now) bottles of Booker's sitting there.

Never know where you might find some hard-to-find bourbon. ;)

Adding it to my growing library of bourbons to be opened some time in the future.
That is my staple Bourbon!
Delicious!

sgt1372 sgt1372 good to see you won't pass up a bookers when it shows itself.

I've got enough to keep my occupied for quite a bit, but won't (can't) pass up certain items.
Was in Savannah, GA this past weekend and grabbed some Woodford Personal Selection from the Olde Pink House, a couple of Pinhooks, Koval Rye, Pikesville Rye, Johnny Drum Private Stock, and Town Branch - all of which are stuff I haven't found at home. Also scored a bottle of Van Winkle 13 Year Rye last week through the state lottery distributions.

Most of these will sit unopened until a special occasion, but I don't like keeping unfinished bottles around too long

sgt1372 sgt1372 good to see you won't pass up a bookers when it shows itself.

I've got enough to keep my occupied for quite a bit, but won't (can't) pass up certain items.
Was in Savannah, GA this past weekend and grabbed some Woodford Personal Selection from the Olde Pink House, a couple of Pinhooks, Koval Rye, Pikesville Rye, Johnny Drum Private Stock, and Town Branch - all of which are stuff I haven't found at home. Also scored a bottle of Van Winkle 13 Year Rye last week through the state lottery distributions.

Most of these will sit unopened until a special occasion, but I don't like keeping unfinished bottles around too long

A Booker's (any Booker's) was on my "must buy" list. So it was an easy grab, especially at "only" $80. In fact, I'm thinking about going back to buy one of the 2 left, so that I can open one and actually drink it. LOL! ;)

Only thing left on the "must buy" list is a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle but I don't think I'll ever see one, let alone find one at a price that I'm willing to pay. :(

No sign of any Koval's hereabouts but it's also on my "buy list" if I ever see one on a shelf.

Last edited:
Prices in CA are definitely higher than in FL, judging from what you're reporting in your post. Decent 18 yo Scotch runs around $140-$170.
Balvenie is one of my favorites, the Double Wood 17 yo is around $140 the most in my local TW.

Back