Blades For My Razor?

I would also recommend getting the variety pack and trying a bunch for yourself. Everyone's face is different. I didn't find much difference between the brands above, so after the variety pack was gone, I just bought on price. I think I'm on Astras now, but will buy whatever is reasonable when they run out.

I've had my dad's old Gillette Fat Boy since I was a kid. I wanted to try it out so I got a sample pack from West Coast Shaving a few years ago. I found (after trying many different blades)that I like Lord Platinum best. They are from Egypt and have consistantly given me great shave after shave. Once I knew this I bought 100 blades from ebay. I get about 5 shaves per blade so they are very economical. I love DE shaving and would never consider getting a "modern" razor.

Having such a great legacy your battle's more than half-way won. I prefer Israeli Personna Red blades; but with opinions being what they are, pickup a few sample sets of blades. That way, without spending much $$ at all, you will have your best chance at finding a combination that will please you.

I've used entirely Personna or Feather in the last 5 years. A little different, both work great. I wouldn't necessarily say Feather justifies the higher cost, but some feel it does.

I started on Merkur, made a quick switch to Persona Blue and then went to Astra Platinum. I don't think there is a single answer that fits everyone though.

I really like the Astra Platinum blades as well they are not as sharp the Feathers or the Gillette sharp edge is what I they are called,but I find the Astra blades to hold their edge longer and I can get more shaves out of them.I find the Feathers and the Gillette sharp edge blades dull faster as they have to make the edge thinner to get a sharper edge and of course that means it's going to wear faster.

I get all of my shaving stuff from this company they have great service and great prices as well,they also have a really god rewards program and the point add up quickly and are worth a fair bit unlike some rewards programs.If you like them on Facebook and Twitter and so on you also get a really good amount of point's I was very surprised at the amount of point the I got and what I could get with them.

They ship to Canada and the USA.

https://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/safety-razor-blade-packs

Last edited:
It is well over half a century since my Dad gave me my first razor, a Gillette adjustable. In spite of using a variety of other razors - mostly plastic and not all that great, but convenient and easy to find - I have managed to hang on to it for all these years, stuck away in one draw or another through a number of household moves. I am posting this note because I recently came across it and decided to try using it again.

First problem: I discovered my local drugstores do not carry plain old double edged blades! Lots of fancy (and overpriced IMHO) multi-blade refills for equally overpriced plastic razors, but nothing for this one..

Second Problem: Went on line and it is exactly the opposite. Lots and lots of ads on eBay and other sources, with a whole range of prices and no clue as to what the difference is. Well. Having bought bargain knock offs from China, I have learned that you get pretty much what you pay for, but a bit of guidance would help

So: can anyone who uses an old fashioned type razor like mine recommend a brand/source for double edged blades?

Thanks!
Hi Maury ,
I just joined today. 3 , 2 , 18
I collect anything antique , vintage ,
Shaving related items . straights ,
D. E.s , blades , sharpeners , strops ,
A very large collection . I probably have your blades in my collection. Tell me the maker of your double edge and I would be glad to send you some. These are original.
b.flowers7440@gmail.com .

I own a handful of Merkurs. Love the razor, but not the blades they come with. After trial and error, my choice for DE blades are the Israeli Personna. I have sensitive skin with a tough beard, and with these I always get a good shave. :cool:

I enjoy switching between the 2 Merkur razors I have-
- a merkur-futur-safety-razor-polished-chrome &
MERKUR PROGRESS LONG HANDLE ADJUSTABLE SAFETY RAZOR.
I found that the blades I use/don't use make all the difference in comfort.
I like the Astra platinum & Dorco platinum blades.
Used to use an electric portable shaver then I switched over to the old school safety razors, & now I look forward to shaving each day, or night.
Calming, therapeutic & my "me time".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 6
I use West Coast Shaving and Amazon for soaps and blades.
Astra and Red Personna blades are my favorites!

I use both the Personna and Feather blades. They both give consistent, smooth, close shaves. I also strop the blade and by doing this
you can get much more life and shaves out of one blade. I'm glad to see so many like double edge shaving. DM

Growing a beard now, but when I shaved Wilkinson Sword (German made) was my go-to blade. Very consistent and comfortable. Feather is great, too, but costs more.

I'm just getting started well into DE shaving. So far, I like Merkur, Wilkinson, and 7am. I tried Astra Platinums, didn't like them very much. Nor Personna Red from Israel.
I can get 3 - 4 shaves out of the Merkur, Wilkinson, and 7am. Those others are done after 1 or 2. Some of it may be that I haven't been consistent on cream media. Now I'm shaving all the time with Cremo off the shelf from a department store (Target, Walmart, etc.). With that, I'm one pass, against the grain, followed by clean-up of a wet face before a good rinse. Use the potash alum crystal to close up the pores afterward, topped off with Proraso after-shave creme (no alcohol). No bad razor burn, no cuts. Good clean shave. Have some Feather blades, but haven't broken open the package yet.

I'm another user of Feather blades (sources from Amazon). I have found that I can shave for about a month (shaving about 3 times a week) with a Feather in my Futur.

Back