Blades upon Books - Traditionals

IY5VRpgl.jpg

Is a notebook considered a book for this thread?

I read Les Miserables back in 12th grade. In English, of course. You could probably find Hugo with original and translation on facing pages.

I thought this looked interesting at the antique mall, but not $25.00 worth. Got it from Abe for a little under $6.00. Also interestingly, the book at the antique mall was in new unused condition, and so was the cheapest one at Abe's, despite the twenty one year old copyright date. Maybe somebody lost their nerve and didn't release it? Not every psychology enthusiast wants to hear about the Bible, and not every Bible enthusiast want to hear about psychology.
FT66TvW.jpg

Colonel Edward Sexby was an officer of the English Parliament's army raised for the civil war against the King. This pamphlet, "Killing no murder", written and published in 1657 called for the murder of Cromwell.
Hard times.

Dan.

Colonel Edward Sexby was an officer of the English Parliament's army raised for the civil war against the King. This pamphlet, "Killing no murder", written and published in 1657 called for the murder of Cromwell.
Hard times.

Dan.

Interesting choice.

Cromwell however, put to death the servile notion of The Divine Right of Kings. There are contemporary examples of similar arrogance and hubris that need decapitating;)

Pity Cromwell was such a Puritan killjoy otherwise....but his demise led to the formation of the US in some ways...

Fine knife too:D

Interesting choice.

Cromwell however, put to death the servile notion of The Divine Right of Kings. There are contemporary examples of similar arrogance and hubris that need decapitating;)

Pity Cromwell was such a Puritan killjoy otherwise....but his demise led to the formation of the US in some ways...

Fine knife too:D

Sexby was a "Leveller" as many of the soldiers of the "Parliament army" directed by Cromwell. Roughly said the Levellers were liberals and Cromwell a tyrant although some British can disagree and consider him as a liberator. The mutiny of the levellers against the invasion of Ireland in 1649 has been the opportunity, for Cromwell, of a repression which settled a bit more his power.

The formation of the U.S. and the Constitution owes much more to the liberal philosophers of the 18th century, influenced by the ideas of the Levellers, than to a dictator. That point is questionable, of course, it's more based on my readings than on an historical knowledge.

About the "contemporary examples of similar arrogance...":"Unhappy the country whose King is a child and whose Princes eat as soon the morning".The Ecclesiast. I won't say more.

Dan.

Back