Blades upon Books - Traditionals

Wow!
What's the pearly one above the green queue?
This is a XVIIIth century Rouennais, made in Rouen, mother of pearl, bolster and coat of arms in gold. Usually this a horse dealer, farmer knife, without bolster. The owner of this one surely had sold many a horse! ;)
Here a more usual rouennais :
rouennais.jpg

There is no Queue de poisson in the book, but a Breton knife with an ermine at the head (cul-ass here) instead. Ermine is one of the (little) Britain symbols.

bzh_hermine.gif

poisson.jpg
(both pictures from Lemasson's book.

I enjoyed trying to figure out which knives are on the book, and which knives are on the book! :D
I wish I had those on the cover!:)

Last edited:
Once upon a time you dressed so fine,
Threw the bums a dime, in your prime,
Didn't you?
I like a lot of Dylan's music very much, although I have to admit that there are many cases in which his lyrics are inscrutable to me. Like a Rolling Stone is a marvelous tune, and I admire the rhymes, and I love singing along in the car, but really have no idea what it's about. Am I supposed to realize stuff like this??
https://www.reasontorock.com/tracks/like_a_rolling_stone.html
Give me straightforward lyrics that a simpleton like me can understand: Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (best break-up song ever) or Forever Young (one of the best benedictions ever).

Here's a knife I'd use if I were working on Maggie's Farm:
pile.4open.pliers.jpg

- GT

Boker-Vox Nessmi knives inspired by Nessmuk. Picked the book up at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, NY some years ago. They've got a nice exhibit on Nessmuk. I canoed many of those lakes as a teen and young adult with my father, brother and friends.
These little knives remind me of those bygone good times.
10k2zFU.jpg

Added this image of Nessmuk's preferred carries from his book "Woodcraft and Camping".
ATPA3XH.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm....it's his greatest. What's "Masters of War" doing there? And "Everything is Broken"? His first Greatest Hits album from 1968 probably has his real greatest hits. But your book is a guitar book, isn't it?
I never heard of either of those, or the Spanish boots, either. And I'm not sure I need two versions of Blowin' in the Wind. I'm glad Just Like A Woman and Tangled up in Blue are there. It is too bad about Rolling Stone.
And yes, it's a guitar book. A little ambitious of me, since four strings are more than enough trouble for me. But it was marked $2.00 and on sale, so I got it for $1.59 including tax. Maybe I can train myself like a monkey to play one or two of the songs.

Boker-Vox Nessmi knives inspired by Nessmuk. Picked the book up at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, NY some years ago. They've got a nice exhibit on Nessmuk. I canoed many of those lakes as a teen and young adult with my father, brother and friends.
These little knives remind me of those bygone good times.
10k2zFU.jpg

Added this image of Nessmuk's preferred carries from his book "Woodcraft and Camping".
ATPA3XH.jpg
I have that book, too.
I'm still annoyed that he gave no dimensions, and I doubt that any two of those are drawn to the same scale.

I re-read this book in early or mid summer, but kept forgetting to post it here. It's one of my all-time favorites. :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
It's about family, faith, fatherhood, fugitives from the law, coming of age, miracles, love, justice, westerns, poetry, underground fires in the Badlands - the usual stuff. ;) Almost every page has some sentence or phrase that makes me grin; it's a delight to read! It reminds me a little bit of To Kill a Mockingbird, since it's written from one of the kids' perspective and the kids find out more about their father throughout the book. There's also a trial involved, and the interaction between the 2 youngest kids is a major aspect of the story. Besides that, the title comes from one of my favorite hymns that I found out after his death was also a favorite of one of my grandfathers.

It was a good counterbalance to a bunch of dark books I had read just prior to grabbing this one off the shelf.

enger.peace.like.a.river.jpg

- GT

I never heard of either of those, or the Spanish boots, either. And I'm not sure I need two versions of Blowin' in the Wind. I'm glad Just Like A Woman and Tangled up in Blue are there. It is too bad about Rolling Stone.
And yes, it's a guitar book. A little ambitious of me, since four strings are more than enough trouble for me. But it was marked $2.00 and on sale, so I got it for $1.59 including tax. Maybe I can train myself like a monkey to play one or two of the songs.
Well, I have heard them all. I think I have most of his albums, for some reason. Best decade was the first one. But Time Out of Mind won the Grammy for Album of the Year in 1997, and a few years ago he put out a great album called Tempest, the title song being about the sinking of the Titanic. Good stuff. I heard he even got a Nobel Prize for Literature a couple of years ago.

Well, I have heard them all. I think I have most of his albums, for some reason. Best decade was the first one. But Time Out of Mind won the Grammy for Album of the Year in 1997, and a few years ago he put out a great album called Tempest, the title song being about the sinking of the Titanic. Good stuff. I heard he even got a Nobel Prize for Literature a couple of years ago.
Yeah, he did get a Nobel. He took a while to respond because he was flabbergasted.
He put out a Christmas album a couple of years ago, too. One reviewer said he made "I'll be home for Christmas" sound like a threat.

Yeah, he did get a Nobel. He took a while to respond because he was flabbergasted.
He put out a Christmas album a couple of years ago, too. One reviewer said he made "I'll be home for Christmas" sound like a threat.
If by "couple of years" you mean more like ten, I have that album. Bought it only for Must be Santa, a wonderful polka song with a funny video. The rest of the album is kinda bad (in the old-fashioned meaning of the word "bad"). I much prefer Bing and Frank and guys like that.

If by "couple of years" you mean more like ten, I have that album. Bought it only for Must be Santa, a wonderful polka song with a funny video. The rest of the album is kinda bad (in the old-fashioned meaning of the word "bad"). I much prefer Bing and Frank and guys like that.
Hey, man, I guess I'm in the eternal now. Total enlightenment must be just around the bend.
0qLUXnE.jpg

I haven't read this yet. Shambhala Publications was having a sale.
[I'll be darned. On the Road to Shambhala was by Three Dog Night.]

Last edited:
Back