Bladesmiths in Hawaii

I believe there are a handful....Tom Mayo...Keith Ouye...Matsuda(Kolona Duck I think is his makers mark) Not sure if Ken Onion is still over on Oahu (Kanehoe area Marine Air base)
Well know that everything is either Flown In or Shipped in from the Mainland it's all very costly...Think $10.00 gallon of Milk with one week expiration date! Oh and the power is sketchy at times....Gas prices are high but the islands have decent Public transportation...:rolleyes: BUT the fishing is excellent and LOTS of BEACHES!!!!

The Locals are not fond of Haolie's if you stray from the beaten paths...Some are COOL but beware. Places like Waikiki Beach are safe due to the tourist industry. Takes a little while to feel your way around and make a few contacts.

The Locals are not fond of Haolie's if you stray from the beaten paths...Some are COOL but beware. Places like Waikiki Beach are safe due to the tourist industry. Takes a little while to feel your way around and make a few contacts.

Safe during the day...
Not so much at night if you’re a young group of Marines with alcohol on board hehe
Or dating one local wahine

I lived there for years and most of my brothers and sisters are still there. Thy are nice to tourists but not so to mainlanders. But it just takes time living there to be excepted and once you are your just about family. Everything rusts and power is very expensive. Shipping is expensive and termites eat any wood thy can find. It’s a nice place but if your not born there it will wear on you and the island will get to you. I had to move as it was just to confining.

I also have family (Ohana) there..."Kama'aina" is the word for "Locals" people that are either born to the island or have been accepted by the locals as JT said it just takes time....Once you learn to speak the "Pidgeon" english you will start getting Local discounts for being Kama'aina....Flip-Flops and Board Shorts are considered dress attire:cool::thumbsup:
It is confining...you can only go so far in one direction before you have to turn around and go back the other way:(

Last edited:
Which island is your family on Busto?
My wife is from the big island. We’re going back to visit next month. Hopefully the airport isn’t covered in magma by then.

Oahu....I like the Big Island little town called Havi it's on the windward side turn around point for Ironman Bike part of tri-athlon.
Yeah the flow is crazy right now...saw a video of a Ford Mustang swallowed by a 6 foot wall of magma:eek: Yeah I'm heading over for a couple months of fishing time:cool::thumbsup:

Oahu....I like the Big Island little town called Havi it's on the windward side turn around point for Ironman Bike part of tri-athlon.
Yeah the flow is crazy right now...saw a video of a Ford Mustang swallowed by a 6 foot wall of magma:eek: Yeah I'm heading over for a couple months of fishing time:cool::thumbsup:
That’s cool! I was stationed on Kaneohe from 96-2000. It was a blast, but super expensive. My friends are shocked when I show them a “sale” ad for milk at $8 for a 1/2 gallon.

That’s cool! I was stationed on Kaneohe from 96-2000. It was a blast, but super expensive. My friends are shocked when I show them a “sale” ad for milk at $8 for a 1/2 gallon.
That $8 was then it up $10 now...I like going to visit and fish but I need a little more space to roam and Oahu is crowded...Kaneohe is super expensive but the windward side of the island is definitely Nice...Devil Dog stationed there at the Air Station I guess there are worse places...I did my time in SE Asia pearl of the Orient during VN era 68-72...Semper FI

Thy are not called flip flops, thy are called slippers

Thy are not called flip flops, thy are called slippers
True...Where I live here in the Southwest there are "Chanclas"...House slippers, Flip-Flops all the same look different name.

Back