Bladesports Competition Knife at Work

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This video of me cutting at the Bladesports Middle Tennessee Competition is getting thousands of views.
I had my best cut yet and the video is proof to show it.
With an almost flawless cut I managed to bring home the Overall win.
My time was 47.29 seconds and I scored 92 points.
I was 7 points from a perfect cut.
I cut out of the 5 pt target zone on the 3/4" oak dowel into the 3 pt zone, literally missed it by a hair.
I missed the tip of the second "bendy" straw.
Overall I could not be more pleased.
As of this posting it has passed 835,000 views.
Hopefully this link works and you can watch the video.
https://www.instagram.com/big_chris_custom_knives/

Here is the knife I used

CompKnife4.jpg

After the competition it would still shave hair and cleanly slice newspaper.
Made from CPM 4V.

Thanks

Chris

This is great, congrats!
I saw the thread earlier and then a friend from work emailed me the video link asking if my knives can do this.
The friend has no interest in knives, so this has definitely gone viral.

Big Chris - thanks for posting this - I think I'm starting to get the fever.

Great work! I just today started looking into this. I'm always looking for another hobby.

I read this article http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2016/06/bladesports-has-a-problem/

Which as somebody who has done some competitive shooting only C class in USPSA SS before I had to stop for the last 8 months) and I know that for that you're looking at at least close to a grand to have your whole rig together, and then additional cost per match you shoot. 1000 for a knife doesn't seem bad, he'll even if I had to replace one every years it's less than shooting two matches a month between fees and ammo.

May I ask you some questions? Or is there a place to find out more? (I did find some answers on their website, looks like there isn't a single instructor in CA, closest is Oregon)

1. How hard is this on the back? That's my primary concern. I have a bad lower back, I actually just had another micro discectomy done and that's why I'd been out of shooting. I may be able to get back in after a few months but I was down to that as my only hobby and am looking for another one that's isn't rough (I just can't bend or lift a lot of weight)

2. How many people do this? Are we talking a couple dozen nationally or hundreds? (From the linked article above if one company is sponsoring half the competitors it doesn't sound too large)

3. Is it setup similar to USPSA where a person can compete locally but be ranked nationally because the challenges are setup the same? Or is it basically practice a lot at home then travel somewhere for the competition?

4. Is the ball the hardest? In watching that just seems like timing would make it difficult to get the hang of

5. How long do the knives last? And do most makers resharpening for you or you need to be capable of that?

Thanks. Awesome video again. Seems like a lot of fun.

Red

Kickin ass and takin names! Best Bladesport performance I’ve seen, and the tomato slicing followup should be included in the competition!
Way to go.

Very nicely done, Chris! Congratulations. You’ve become a great competitor quickly! Mike

DAMN great work Big Chris! My gf said, "hearing the video in the background, I thought it was gunshots." :D

Strange that the video has gone so crazy viral. There are so many cutting videos out there.

I saw it, and commented on it when it first came out trying to educate a few of the angry commenters. Then gave up.

Just keep doing what you do!

that was super impressive cutting, and not just for technical merit, but style and technique as well. Calm, cool and collected- just what you wanna see when we're talking about 6'6"+ behemoth of a man with a big, sharp knife. At least in regards to competition cutting...

that was super impressive cutting, and not just for technical merit, but style and technique as well. Calm, cool and collected- just what you wanna see when we're talking about 6'6"+ behemoth of a man with a big, sharp knife. At least in regards to competition cutting...

That's right. If you needed Big Chris to say, hold a strategic bridge with a broadsword and shield against an incoming horde, I bet you'd see a different demeanor...or would you? :D

Thanks for all the supportive comments.
I really enjoy competing in these competitions and am constantly trying to improve my form and technique.
I am also trying to squeeze as much performance from a 10" blade as possible.

Great work! I just today started looking into this. I'm always looking for another hobby.

I read this article http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2016/06/bladesports-has-a-problem/

Which as somebody who has done some competitive shooting only C class in USPSA SS before I had to stop for the last 8 months) and I know that for that you're looking at at least close to a grand to have your whole rig together, and then additional cost per match you shoot. 1000 for a knife doesn't seem bad, he'll even if I had to replace one every years it's less than shooting two matches a month between fees and ammo.

We are aware that the cost and availability of the knives are limiting factors.
However, don't let that stop you from attending an event.
There are always a couple extra knives there that you would be able to use.

May I ask you some questions? Or is there a place to find out more? (I did find some answers on their website, looks like there isn't a single instructor in CA, closest is Oregon)

1. How hard is this on the back? That's my primary concern. I have a bad lower back, I actually just had another micro discectomy done and that's why I'd been out of shooting. I may be able to get back in after a few months but I was down to that as my only hobby and am looking for another one that's isn't rough (I just can't bend or lift a lot of weight)

The stress is not entirely focused on the lower back, but due to several of the cuts and movement involved it could be slightly painful.
However, everyone finds their own cutting technique that works for them.
The follow through on the rope and waterbottles would be most taxing on a back, I think.

2. How many people do this? Are we talking a couple dozen nationally or hundreds? (From the linked article above if one company is sponsoring half the competitors it doesn't sound too large)

There are a couple dozen men that compete and about another dozen women.
There used to be an international branch but I'm not real sure what happened there.
I do know there are still a lot Thai cutting competitions going on but they are not associated Bladesports.

3. Is it setup similar to USPSA where a person can compete locally but be ranked nationally because the challenges are setup the same? Or is it basically practice a lot at home then travel somewhere for the competition?

The rules are that you must attend two events to be eligible to compete at Nationals in Dallas.
Those two comps. can be local to you.
All competitors in Dallas compete for the opportunity to cut at Worlds which is held on Saturday at Blade Show.
Only 10 men and 5 women compete at Worlds.

4. Is the ball the hardest? In watching that just seems like timing would make it difficult to get the hang of

I had a learning curve with the ball, but honestly it's a "see and react" type movement, I don't really think too much about it.
The hardest for me is cutting the tip off the flexible drinking straw.

5. How long do the knives last? And do most makers resharpening for you or you need to be capable of that?

The knives will last for a long time.
I could easily cut in two or three competitions before touching up the edge would be needed.
I do a lot of cutting between comps. and only lightly touch up the edge right before the next competition.
I am currently on my fourth knife, each slightly different than the previous.
I am planning a new knife right now with some new handle shape and geometry.

Thanks. Awesome video again. Seems like a lot of fun.

Red

Expand the window above, I typed my answers in BLUE

Thanks very much for the answers! It sure looks fun. When I am recovered enough I'll have to try it out if I can. I really find it amazing that a single knife can handle so many types of job. And to hold the edge like that. Really cool

Red

I don't even know what bladesports ARE. But it sounds badass. Kinda like your blade. Congrats on the win, man!

Back