Blitz

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just got this in, action is exceptional, lockup is solid as expected and the scales, well, those scales could do double duty as a file ;) especially for pants pockets !

I tried once...only once...to get the knife into my Carhartt pants, they have the extra material just for carrying clipped knives, I could not get the knife fully onto the pants pocket. And even the partial bit it was grabbing the material very strongly. So, I ended up removing the scale and sanding down about half the length of the scale so now I can actually clip the knife, doesn't look pretty but then it will be palm side during use so out of sight out of mind. And sanding that off doesn't affect the grip of the knife during use.

I'd love to see WE make a nicely done scale like this, perhaps the entire side as smooth leaving the show side to be grippy where your fingers have their purchase anyways. IF they ever do...I could use one :)

Otherwise, a very nice and sharp knife, VG10 takes quite a keen edge and it is thin behind the edge as well.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

quite deep and great traction

I usually tie my lanyards around one of the stand offs anyways, nice to have one dedicated for such use

Here's the ugly side of life, also note that I rounded the notch end of the edge so that if material falls into that area it will ride up and onto the edge, instead of being hooked by that sharp point.

G2

That is understandable, hopefully they can come up with a fix, just that one side would help, I sanded mine a little more so that area is relatively smooth now.

The grip this provides in hand is remarkable, lately I place a higher value on a knife that doesn't slide around in my hand, safer all the way around.

Also I hope WE takes a strong look at how the edge starts, my preference would be to NOT have a notch there at all, but I know design wise and for the sake of those that have trouble sharpening with out it being there, it's something that will be around a long time. But, it could be at more of a 45 degree and not perpendicular to the edge, so when material falls into that area it doesn't snag and possibly grab the knife from your grasp while using.

The radius I made allows for material to slip up and onto the edge, a compromise but I think a good one.
G2

In a pinch - you could use those scales to get your truck out of a snow bank. ;)
I agree that a grabby choil is a troublesome detail.

Good luck with it.

Ray

Edited to eliminate a dumb question. :( I was obviously reading too fast. :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks and yes I sanded down under the clip a necessary action for sure
G2

Those scales were exactly what I didn’t like about the Blitz. I thought about sanding them down, but gave it away instead.

Worth the effort to do that, as the grippiness is great in use and the blade shape is fine as is the grind.
I had forgotten what a great edge that VG10 takes.
G2

Thanks Henk, I agree !

looks better in person, the area by the clip is now nice and smooth and still holds ok by the clip in the pocket

For those that want to put paracord in the lanyard area, mine is pretty heavy cord, so cut the paracord at an angle to help it get around that post.
G2

I don't think you mod looks bad at all. I was ready to believe the knife came shaved under the clip.
You can't go wrong on the price either if the action is as good as I've been reading.
VG-10 has always been one of my favorites. I don't abuse my edges but if I do
the VG-10 restores easily and as noted, gets keenly sharp.

Ray

Nice images above :)
For some reason many people I talked with doesn't like this knife, but hey I like my Blitz! :)
isDMShO.jpg

S Speadge I like the Blitz also. Light weight, not too large and very snappy action. And of course, the controversial part, a lot of grip. In the end it's all about what you like!

You can put me down for new scales if they ever become available. Like the knife, the scales not so much.

Back