Blonde/honey/marble horn

jdm61

itinerant metal pounder
What critter produces it and where the heck do you find it?

Water Buffalo and most any knife supply like Jantz, TKS, etc.. Just FYI, I used some when I first started and I found it to be VERY unstable.

Latama.net has cow horn slabs in various colors.
If cutting your own pieces from solid horns (like yak) be sure to age them for at least a few months. Light horn has a tendency to shrink.

I was interested in the stuff for ferrules, spacers, buttcaps, etc for wa handles, so hollow horns do me no good.

Don't know if this helps ya, but I bought this buffalo horn from Bob Schrimsher in the seventies. I hate the chit, it's been in the cabinet ever since. If you can use it, It's yours.
buffalo3 by Mi Co, on Flickr
buffalo2 by Mi Co, on Flickr
buffalo1 by Mi Co, on Flickr

WKFL: I am interested in the horn for postage or whatever else you may need for it.

John Lloyd

When I think of a marbled honey/blonde horn, I always think muskox
Priced more like ivory than Buffalo horn though...

image.jpg image.jpg

I got these scales from fleabay a long time back. They were described as dyed jigged bone. I believe they are cow shin bone. After shaping they produced a light yellowish color. I like the look

I am looking for the translucent look without having to pony up hundreds of dollars for a hard to find thick piece of musk ox, which would be the ultimate horny stuff. Size is an issue with what I have seen so far other than whole yak horn tips, but I ma not sure how big the hollow portion is on those.

Here you go, I got one 14-16cm wich will make a handle with some spacers in front. The 16-20cm should make a full handle
Nice and solid

HTB1cyMwKXXXXXaqXpXXq6xXFXXXe.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nat...32518016309.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.2BJJS5

WKFL: I am interested in the horn for postage or whatever else you may need for it.

John Lloyd
Hey John, unable to send you a conversation message, send me your contact, and I will float ya some buffalo horn.

Back