Blown Away By This $30 knife

Don't knock the affordable knives..many of them are really good! Kershaw really does put out some nice knives such as the leek and the poor mans Hinderer the Cryo 2 ( not an insult, its the only hinderer I own LOL )
-I'll see your Cryo, and raise you
a Thermite :thumbsup:
Love my Concierge, great knife...kinda silly name...
-Pronounce it with the 'G' silent,
CON-SEE-AIR - who assists by performing various tasks for people....Seems a fitting name for
what looks to be a nice gent. knife
although, I have yet to obtain or
handle the Atmos or the Concierge...'yet' :cool:

" " " and sticking people too close to the junk/femoral artery. It’s honestly all depending on how much you trust that detent and lots of knives are fine to carry like this...just know your detents.
So...Know denuts and detents? :D

My SECOND Kershaw Chill just arrived minutes ago. Perfect ! The edge is nice and sharp all along it's length, no dings or flat spots felt when pulling it across my finger nail. Flipped open easily on the first and second try (only have opened it twice so far). No play; looks great all over (no holidays were they didn't grind something smooth / nice bead blasted blade finish, no sharp corners or rough G10).

Why, pray tell, do I need two super inexpensive knives of the exact same model . . . some one may ask ?

I am so impressed with this design (handle to blade ratio, blade shape, nice handle feel in use) that I wanted one pristine to just have around (I couldn't bring myself to obliterate the nice and fine lettering etched in the blade) and I am going to grind the old one's blade significantly thinner for an ultimate user.
I've been watching the prices. Just before I bought my first one the price jumped up a dollar or two just about the time I was going to click the Buy Button. This time the price plummeted well below the price previous to my first purchase. I just had to go again ! ! !

Heck before it is all over I could even see myself buying a third one to fool around with thicker handle scales. You know me and my thick grippy handle scale mod.
Suuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrre would like some serious tool steel blade alloy in one of these.
ohhhhhhhh welllll . . . sigh . . .

I have a thermite... Build quality is not as good as a cryo. Took mine apart and can't get it centered again. Might try again later. Sucks, I really like the spanto blade!

What the heck? I was going to order this from Amazon and they say they say this is illegal in NY. What?
I have the same problem. Amazon won't ship any flippers to NYS. From what I understand, it's because of NYC. They apparently don't want to be bothered with filtering which zip codes are legal, and which ones are not so they just ban them to all NY residents. Except, every once in awhile one slips through, especially if it is a more expensive knife. I guess bigger money makes them look the other way sometimes. For this reason, in addition to the clone risk, I refuse to buy a knife from them anymore, flipper or no flipper.

wow, how much did you end up paying for the chill? seems to be about $25 from some of the bigger bf dealers

wow, how much did you end up paying for the chill? seems to be about $25 from some of the bigger bf dealers
As I understand it discussing prices of various vendors here is a bad idea.
I paid about $25 for my first one.

My SECOND Kershaw Chill just arrived minutes ago. Perfect ! The edge is nice and sharp all along it's length, no dings or flat spots felt when pulling it across my finger nail. Flipped open easily on the first and second try (only have opened it twice so far). No play; looks great all over (no holidays were they didn't grind something smooth / nice bead blasted blade finish, no sharp corners or rough G10).

Why, pray tell, do I need two super inexpensive knives of the exact same model . . . some one may ask ?

I am so impressed with this design (handle to blade ratio, blade shape, nice handle feel in use) that I wanted one pristine to just have around (I couldn't bring myself to obliterate the nice and fine lettering etched in the blade) and I am going to grind the old one's blade significantly thinner for an ultimate user.
I've been watching the prices. Just before I bought my first one the price jumped up a dollar or two just about the time I was going to click the Buy Button. This time the price plummeted well below the price previous to my first purchase. I just had to go again ! ! !

Heck before it is all over I could even see myself buying a third one to fool around with thicker handle scales. You know me and my thick grippy handle scale mod.
Suuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrre would like some serious tool steel blade alloy in one of these.
ohhhhhhhh welllll . . . sigh . . .

The Chill is surprisingly good for what it is, accepting price and steel choice. It has the form of a gentleman's folder but with a tactical flair. The manual flipper works well enough and the lack of a speed safe keeps the opening non-frightening for any fearful sheep at the office. Overall, it's a decent little letter opener.

A year or two ago, a friend got one of these and wasn't totally impressed with the action. He brought it over. It was still basically new. So we took it apart and cleaned out the factory lube. From what I remember, there was a little grit or something on a washer. I've seen that in new knives before and it cleaned up fine. The scales had some sharp edges and were uneven in one spot, which was easy to fix with an emery board. I hit it with some non-toxic Lubriplate and put it back together. It was a big improvement.

does it use a teflon washer or phosphor bronze? I'm guessing teflon

I refuse to buy a knife from them anymore, flipper or no flipper.
One advantage of buying from the vendors that support this forum (or real knife stores in general) is demonstrated by my order / purchase a few days ago. I was ordering a knife with a damascus clad blade. The particular knife is notorious for having the very mechanical looking repetitive pattern, called "ladder" or some such, I much prefer the random looking damascus so one of the services they offer is to open some boxes and select a knife with the characteristics I am after; and generally look over the knife for any anomalies before shipping it to me.

I have seen the knife with random pattern cladding and own the smaller version of the knife which has just the pattern I like and why I bought the small rather than the large. Recently I remembered the knife stores will open boxes and got inspired to finally get the larger one that I wanted to start with so . . .
We will see what I wind up with.

Great knife even with ladder pattern. Boker Gent 1 with good full hand filling, smooth ebony wood, handle, liner lock, black parkerized clip. The blade steel is basic but very thin behind the edge and the over all blade is hollow ground and thin at the spine just the way I like them. I just love the subtle detailing : black liner, black clip, black pivot all in flat black finish with the semi gloss smooth black ebony wood handle.
Very cool I think.

does it use a teflon washer or phosphor bronze? I'm guessing teflon
Funny you should ask that.
I just looked at both with magnification under a lamp :
My first one purchased four months ago or so clearly has white thickish washers. Much thicker than the usual teflon washers I find in my Cold Steel knives.

The knife I just received has thin bronze washers and perhaps steel washers next to them or maybe some sort of stand off built into the liners (the steel "washers" are the same color / texture as the knife handle liners).

The action on the newest knife is really great and the action on the first one did, in deed, leave something to be desired but it wasn't bad.

PS : I just tested the old one with the white washers and it easily flipped open six out of six times while sitting on the couch.
This was with moderate use / break in, a little light oil on the pivot and a touch of adjustment on the pivot.
I mention sitting on the couch because I was dumb founded when I first got the knife because while standing at work the knife flipped maybe four out of five. While sitting on the couch it was mostly failed flips would swing almost all the way but then would stop before locking up. A little gravitiy on the blade while standing and holding it at a downward angle was making the difference.

Now, as I said, it is six for six sitting :thumbsup:

that is really interesting, thanks for the update, I hope kershaw are using phosphor bronze washers for all their budget knives - it would really put them a step above in the bang-for-buck measure

I have the same problem. Amazon won't ship any flippers to NYS. From what I understand, it's because of NYC. They apparently don't want to be bothered with filtering which zip codes are legal, and which ones are not so they just ban them to all NY residents. Except, every once in awhile one slips through, especially if it is a more expensive knife. I guess bigger money makes them look the other way sometimes. For this reason, in addition to the clone risk, I refuse to buy a knife from them anymore, flipper or no flipper.

In a bizarre way that makes sense, or at least offers an explanation. Frustrating that the entire rest of the state doesn't exist which happens a lot.

The Chill is surprisingly good for what it is, accepting price and steel choice. It has the form of a gentleman's folder but with a tactical flair. The manual flipper works well enough and the lack of a speed safe keeps the opening non-frightening for any fearful sheep at the office. Overall, it's a decent little letter opener.

A year or two ago, a friend got one of these and wasn't totally impressed with the action. He brought it over. It was still basically new. So we took it apart and cleaned out the factory lube. From what I remember, there was a little grit or something on a washer. I've seen that in new knives before and it cleaned up fine. The scales had some sharp edges and were uneven in one spot, which was easy to fix with an emery board. I hit it with some non-toxic Lubriplate and put it back together. It was a big improvement.

How IS the flipping action on the Chill? It's unassisted, and doesn't use bearings...

-I'll see your Cryo, and raise you
a Thermite :thumbsup:

-Pronounce it with the 'G' silent,
CON-SEE-AIR - who assists by performing various tasks for people....Seems a fitting name for
what looks to be a nice gent. knife
although, I have yet to obtain or
handle the Atmos or the Concierge...'yet' :cool:

So...Know denuts and detents? :D

I appreciate the effort although I know the word thanks, I still think its a silly name...

How IS the flipping action on the Chill? It's unassisted, and doesn't use bearings...

I only have experience with the one. It had a little gunk or grit in it from the factory, which can happen but I'd like to say is relatively rare with Kershaw. Once cleaned up, the action was "okay". I'm guessing that's close to what it should have been for a new one. Of course, I have noticed that a lot of new knives can improve slightly when carefully cleaned and relubed with a good oil.

For instance, my Tangram Amarillo had a "good" action right out of the box. I immediately took it apart, cleaned it with alcohol, relubed with Lubriplate, and put it back together. The action after that was "great". Another reason I like doing this is so I can see how the knife is constructed. Over the years, I've seen a lot of new budget knives with dirty internals, rough spots, tool marks, etc. Kershaw has always tended to be one of the better budget brands. The two Tangram knives I've done this with have been impressive. The Amarillo runs on bearings and had almost pristine internals. My only complaint is that I wish the detent was a little stronger.

The nicest budget knives I've had apart lately have been from Civivi. They've also had the best actions for their price point.

yeah, I hear you there... there is a civivi with d2 on massdrop which keeps calling to me, but I really don't need another lol... but it does seem to be a worthy deal

Lately I've been preferring the flipping action of my CRKT LCK which is on phosphor bronze washers instead of my Atmos which is on bearings. Yes, the atmos is smooth and has little to no rolling resistance, but there's a different kind of smooth feeling with the phosphor bronze washers that just feels more...secure? or stiff? I can't really describe it but I enjoy flipping my LCK over my Atmos now.

Back