BM 535 Bugout is Awesome - but I think the name is wrong. What should it have been named?

I use use the crap out of my EDC work knives Sharp. A normal day for my EDC consists of stripping yards of Electric cable such as 500 MCM which is thick as a garden hose and has a thick thermoplastic coating. cutting through dozens of tie wraps on bundled cables in which I have to use a prying action for (Yah I know) and it has to withstand occasional drops from from 12 foot ladders onto concrete. I also work in cold conditions were (I) don't feel confident in a Thin composite fully skeletonized handle is going to hold up. I have seen the Thermoplastic insulation on the 500 MCM cable snap and crack coming off the spool and I'm not confident that the Bugout scales would fair much better. In those conditions I grab my Kershaw Blur or my new favorite work knife the SOG AEGIS. Again don't get me wrong Sharp because I love the knife and the way it carries but the name "Bugout" and what it refers to are just not accurate and cold be deceiving to people ordering one online. Maybe it should be called the BenchMade Petite. I hope that explains my thoughts and opinions. No BenchMade hate here:cool::thumbsup:. Almost forgot to answer one of your questions, I expect Steel liners to give it More torsional strength.

No skin off my nose, I don't make the thing. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm in a similar trade and have a couple inherited drivers in my tool kit that are 40 years old and have been beat to hell... with thermoplastic handles. That said... I just paid extra for a Bugout with g10 handles. Lol.

Lots of really good ideas. But I really think Benchmade can still change/shorten this name to just the "Bug". Makes way more sense to me than bugout.......

The Bugout is fascinating to me. I loathe the feel of the handle. Seems as durable as it needs to be. I simply don’t like it. That blade is awesome, though.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better knife for customizing.

Therefore, I think the most apt is...

Swapout

I agree about concentrating on the low weight. I would call it the LightWeight, or if S&W didn't already take the name, the AirWeight.

No skin off my nose, I don't make the thing. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm in a similar trade and have a couple inherited drivers in my tool kit that are 40 years old and have been beat to hell... with thermoplastic handles. That said... I just paid extra for a Bugout with g10 handles. Lol.
Now G10 sounds much more solid than the stock "Grivory" scales. What the is Grivory anyway:confused:

Name's fine.
Lots of folks who obsess about "bug out bags" weigh all the components and get all picky about ounces.
Just think of how many more bullets you could shove in that bag due the knife's lighter weight! ;)

If you are doing some prying task with a folder in a bug out scenario, then either your planning was poor to begin with or things have gone very wrong, the latter being worth keeping in mind when doing the former. I’d say the Bugout is admirable as a folder with either a hatchet or a fixed blade, or all three. Personally, I’d concentrate on shelter, water and food in a BOB. The cutting tools should be almost supernumerary, in terms of need. Stove, lighter, decent shelter and warm clothing: you are done. Bullets, is what someone else mentioned. Well, I guess my plan would be to move away from other people at pace. Always good to have a weapon when everything goes wrong societally, but I would be heading to safety, which means not where the idiots are.

I don't have one but "PF" comes to mind = Pocket Friendly
You know how there is the UK PK (United Kingdom Pocket Knife).
Maybe PF PK

You could call it Audrey . . . after Audrey Hepburn . . . too skinny but nice to have around.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an absolutely terrible name, it's simple and catchy enough, but it makes me feel like I'm definitely not the target demographic.
For better or for worse, it brings to mind the ridiculous promo they did with bladehq.

I agree. Lame name. Maybe they named it like that because it's cheap enough (as Benchmade goes) to stash and forget.

I think it should've been called the Standard. It's bound to take over that role from the Griptilian or Mini Griptilian.

I don't think it's an absolutely terrible name, it's simple and catchy enough, but it makes me feel like I'm definitely not the target demographic.
For better or for worse, it brings to mind the ridiculous promo they did with bladehq.
I agree that was ridiculous and if I had seen the Vid first I may not have bought the knife but luckily I didn't. If they were going for the Gray Man scheme then they should have left the pocket clip off so it would sit at the bottom of your pocket Unseeno_O

Awesome video link by the OP...I enjoy Advanced Knife Bro on YouTube immensely. He includes a lot of useful information in his reviews amongst a lot of humor.

Back