Review BM Bailout design critique (pre-release)

Critical Update Edit
CPM-3V is an excellent steel as described below and discussed later in the thread... but it cannot shine when under-hardened. It should be pushed to the higher end of 59-61, particularly for a thin slicer. Well after creating this thread I've read listings and reports that Benchmade is only hardening it to 56-59, most likely the low end of that range. That is an unacceptable waste, the edge will dull easily by deformation. There was no need to increase toughness. Benchmade should be ashamed and make corrections by issuing a recall, not for safety, but for performance approaching the high price. I'd advise customers against purchasing any 3V blade at low HRC.

• ATTN Benchmade
  • The critics of the Bailout's design choices really don't seem to get it. They assume that CPM-3V excels only for choppers & other hard use fixed blades and that Bugouts & Bailouts in GRN are flimsy. They couldn't be more wrong.
    • Because of its toughness/ductility/impact resistance 3V also excels in ultrathin grinds with ultraslicey edge angles that still hold up where other steels would chip or break. Thus it can be run at higher hardness to resist edge roll. Wear resistance is still high despite the lower alloy content because of the narrow geometry (the primary factor) and hardness it supports, and the vanadium content. Most people haven't experienced that kind of cutting power. Chuck from AKS has called it his favorite knife steel, though Z-wear may surpass it. It's a perfect choice in an ultralight knife that sees reasonably heavy work.
    • Anyone who doubts the durability of the thin blade and minimalist GRN reinforced with steel at the lock--any folders Achilles heel--should watch this abuse testing video. The Bugout gracefully withstood tip gouging, transverse batoning & axial batoning around a knot, being dropped from a second story building, and run over by a large vehicle. Slight flex under force lends impact strength, not fragility. Benchmade called this the highest strength to weight ratio in a folder, and that actually seems reasonable. If you really screw it up, send it in to be serviced.
  • The aluminum lanyard pommel is a major improvement over the Bugout's oversized lanyard hole that prevented me from rounding off a the back corner for a small ergonomic improvement. Lanyard holes ruin so many knife designs! This one can be ground off flush if desired for ergonomics or for discreet carry with the deep pocket clip. That should be an offered option. It also strengthens & protects the handle in accidents or hard use, though we understand that abuse will ding it up. The handle guard flare enhances safety.
  • Yeah, I'd like to see a more durable coating-- ONLY IF it doesn't require a suboptimal heat treatment-- but the Cerakote is much better than satin or Teflon on a non-stainless steel. The important thing is to nail 60 HRC with Roman Landes' low temper for optimal edge stability, then sharpen it to <12° per side and <0.015 behind the edge, and let users adjust it from there.
  • The tanto adds variety of function and appearance. It's the easily penetrating tip, not the reinforced type. The top swedge could be reduced. The secondary tip is perfect for opening boxes, a main purpose for some customers. I'd prefer the perfect Bugout drop point shape and high grind in this slightly longer length. I carefully compared the two with photo manipulation and found that that the Bailout just adds extra pointy parts without subtracting much steel anywhere. I'd also like to see a less tactilol version with friendly colors like a dark blue or burgundy or green (not OD), or even desert sand.
  • I expect a hardened steel lockbar would last much longer than Ti and be worth the sleight weight, but at least they'll replace it if necessary. I like the redundancy of omega springs.
  • Now besides the shape, color, pommel & lanyard-free options, and the HT & sharpening points I've mentioned, Benchmade really does need to get on top of its quality control, ensuring a smooth, near-drop-shut & axis-flick open action and perfect centering in any assembly configuration. They also need to reduce the price by at least $40. It's only GRN after all, and some Chinese companies are surpassing them in quality and value.
  • I'm not at all a BM fanboy, I'm an engineer and outdoorsman who makes a few fixed blades, but the Bailout's efficiency excites me more than any folder design since the 710. It and the Bugout have the phenomenal total cutting edge to oz ratio of 1.7. A good ratio is ~1, and even the 3.8in/3oz CS Broken Skull and the aluminum stiletto RS Metamorph have only 1.3. With its slim profile, and the toughness of 3V, Axis Lock, and PB washers, the ultralight Bailout is likely to become my preferred medium+ duty knife. It's a knife, well designed to cut a wide variety of materials well, not for throwing from castle walls to dislodge ninjas like some Medfords. For anything more demanding, I'll grab a fixed blade.
  • Benchmade, could you inform us of general plans and time frames for possible variations of the platform, please?

Last edited:
I'm still unsure if I'll ever buy the 537, but I said the same thing about the 535 and it's almost as beloved as my 940's.
I find it rather amusing as some people complain about the 3v steel. They complain if Benchmade (or Spyderco for that matter) uses "crappy old" s30v and demand that better steels are used. Then when they get a "better" steel, they still complain. Damned if they do....

I'll never buy it simply because it's a Tanto blade. If it was a drop point I'd already have one pre-ordered.

Another fail by Benchmade. Oh well, Spyderco is still killing it with their new releases.

I’ll almost certainly get one. Have the thumbstud removed and ground to a wave and have cf scales put on.

So that’s the plan.

I'll never buy it simply because it's a Tanto blade. If it was a drop point I'd already have one pre-ordered.

Another fail by Benchmade. Oh well, Spyderco is still killing it with their new releases.
Another fail? When was their last fail knife wise? Because the bugout is doing incredibly well.

They’re marketing this as a Black Class. I’d be more interested if it was a drop point, but maybe that will come if it catches on. It would be nice to check it out in person, but my local(ish) dealer hasn’t restocked their Benchmades in over a year. Nothing to see there...

Another fail? When was their last fail knife wise? Because the bugout is doing incredibly well.

I wasn't referring to a knife....

Oh, and I agree about the Bugout. It kicks a lot of nicer more expensive knives out of my pocket every day.

I will buy it because of the fact its a tanto and spydercos releases have left a lot to be desired this year but different strokes for different folks.

• The critics of the Bailout's design choices really don't seem to get it.

You're right, we don't.

They assume that CPM-3V excels only for choppers & other hard use fixed blades and that Bugouts & Bailouts in GRN are flimsy. They couldn't be more wrong.

It's well known that 3V is best in knives that require toughness, and that the Bugout is famously known for having flimsy handles that can be squeezed together by someone's fingers.

• Thus it can be run at higher hardness to resist edge roll. ...

Then why does Benchmade run it 1 Rockwell softer than the S30V in the Bugout? That's also 1 Rockwell lower than Crucible recommends it to be run at.

It's a perfect choice in an ultralight knife that sees reasonably heavy work.

Heavy work such as???? Chopping with a tanto blade knife with no belly that weighs 2 oz.?

• Anyone who doubts the durability of the thin blade and minimalist GRN reinforced with steel at the lock--any folders Achilles heel--should watch this abuse testing video. The Bugout gracefully withstood tip gouging, transverse batoning & axial batoning around a knot, being dropped from a second story building, and run over by a large vehicle. Slight flex under force lends impact strength, not fragility. Benchmade called this the highest strength to weight ratio in a folder, and that actually seems reasonable. If you really screw it up, send it in to be serviced.

Could be anecdotal, but I batonned with my Contego and it immediately developed lock rock because it dented the liners. Benchmade had to replace everything but the blade to make it go away. The Contego lock is twice as strong as the Bugout lock, and the liners are thicker. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. If you want to send your Bailout in every month or so to have it rebuilt, that's on you I guess.

• The aluminum lanyard pommel is a major improvement over the Bugout's oversized lanyard hole that prevented me from rounding off a the back corner for a small ergonomic improvement. Lanyard holes ruin so many knife designs! This one can be ground off flush if desired for ergonomics or for discreet carry with the deep pocket clip. That should be an offered option. It also strengthens & protects the handle in accidents or hard use, though we understand that abuse will ding it up. The handle guard flare enhances safety.

Pommels are meant to cause damage (as shown by the Benchmade promo video). If you want to think of it as an enhanced lanyard hole, go ahead. Kind of making lemonade out of lemons.

• Yeah, I'd like to see a more durable coating-- ONLY IF it doesn't require a suboptimal heat treatment-- but the Cerakote is much better than satin or Teflon on a non-stainless steel. The important thing is to nail 60 HRC with Roman Landes' low temper for optimal edge stability, then sharpen it to <12° per side and <0.015 behind the edge, and let users adjust it from there.

Benchmade won't be hitting 60HRC with their 3V.

• The tanto adds variety of function and appearance. It's the easily penetrating tip, not the reinforced type. The top swedge could be reduced. The secondary tip is perfect for opening boxes, a main purpose for some customers.

I find that tantos turn one useful edge into two smaller less-useful edges that are harder to sharpen. To each their own.

• I expect a hardened steel lockbar would last much longer than Ti and be worth the sleight weight, but at least they'll replace it if necessary.

Hardened steel would last ages longer than Ti, which is why almost all high-end Ti frame locks have hardened steel lock faces bolted onto them.

• Now besides the shape, color, pommel & lanyard-free options, and the HT & sharpening points I've mentioned, Benchmade really does need to get on top of its quality control, ensuring a smooth, near-drop-shut & axis-flick open action and perfect centering in any assembly configuration. They also need to reduce the price by at least $40. It's only GRN after all, and some Chinese companies are surpassing them in quality and value.

10000% agreed.

• I'm not at all a BM fanboy, I'm an engineer and outdoorsman who makes a few fixed blades, but the Bailout's efficiency excites me more than any folder design since the 710. It and the Bugout have the phenomenal total cutting edge to oz ratio of 1.7.

But that edge is broken up into two non-continuous edges. Transitioning from one edge to the next is not smooth, and is awkward at best. Maybe I'm just bad at using tantos?

I'm not trying to change your opinion. Merely pointing out that your highly-specific theories behind this knife don't really jive with what everyone else is seeing.

Could be anecdotal, but I batonned with my Contego and it immediately developed lock rock because it dented the liners. Benchmade had to replace everything but the blade to make it go away. The Contego lock is twice as strong as the Bugout lock, and the liners are thicker. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. If you want to send your Bailout in every month or so to have it rebuilt, that's on you I guess.
This is interesting. Is it normal for such a large folder to get screwed up by batonning? I am assuming you though it could handle the job or you wouldn't have done it.

This is interesting. Is it normal for such a large folder to get screwed up by batonning? I am assuming you though it could handle the job or you wouldn't have done it.

Batonning is one of the worst things you can do to a folder. It puts a LOT of stress in places that aren’t designed to take impact forces. There are plenty of folk that say you shouldn’t even baton fixed blades. I did it to my Contego out of sheer curiosity. I went into it knowing full-well that it might destroy the knife.

Batonning is one of the worst things you can do to a folder. It puts a LOT of stress in places that aren’t designed to take impact forces. There are plenty of folk that say you shouldn’t even baton fixed blades. I did it to my Contego out of sheer curiosity. I went into it knowing full-well that it might destroy the knife.
A tip If you Need to baton with a folder... Undo the lock so the blade is not locked. Then baton. I'm not condoning batoning with a folder, but that will solve the one issue of damaging the lock in general. Of course you still have to worry about the blade possibly cracking but if you needed to in a pinch.

All the complaining is why great knives like this get discontinued long before they're appreciated...

Production 3V in a folder at an affordable price is a blessing in my opinion, especially when more and more companies are obsessed in "500 run sprints" that get bought up in 5 minutes.
If they released a Tanto, they'll release a drop point sure enough. Just gotta be patient. At least IF you manage to break/lose this beast of a knife in day to day tasks, You'll be able to buy another one.

I honestly dont care about its design. Tanto shmanto, Im a city boy who's not skinning every animal I come across. I see 3V and 2 ounces.

Think of how comfortable sweatpants can be! I can actually go jogging with this thing and not feel like I've got a role of nickels in my pants.

Batoning an Axis folder with the blade fully deployed will create up and down blade play due to the Axis lockbar denting/permanently deforming the stainless liners. My Adamas told me so.

Back