BM Crooked River vs. Spyderco Military

Anderdale

Gold Member
For the military I am referring to the plain jane s30v black g10 (I'm left handed and that is all they offer)

I'm looking for a bigger folding knife to carry while hunting/camping etc. I've narrowed my search down to these two fine blades.

Both are around $160 or so.
Both cater to a lefty.
Both have a 4" blade.
Both have s30v steel.
Both are beautiful knives in my opinion.

I can only have one.

Which would you chose? Better yet, has anyone owned both? Any other 4"+ folders you'd suggest (keep in mind I'm left handed).

I have owned neither.

Thankyou! I look forward to your answers.

Between the two, I'd go with the Spyderco Military because it's an ounce lighter and the thumbstud on the the Benchmade is above the cutting edge. I'm not sure about this last thing, but it appears to have free spinning screws, which is another negative for me.

Other than that, a distinguishing thing to note of is that the Spyderco is tip-down only and the Benchmade is tip-up only.

If looks matter then it would be Crooked River hands down; at least to me. That thing just has those old school my grandfathers ole traditional knife look to it. Plus that Bowie blade. Mmm mmm. For sheer cutting I would go the Millie because of the full flat ground blade. Flat ground blades slice like the dickens but I find them boring personally. Then as the previous poster said, there is the weight. If that does not matter then you are back to whichever you enjoy looking at the most I reckon.

Here's my vote

tOTb4C4.jpg

Where can you get Benchmade Crooked River for ~$160? Every reputable dealer I checked sells it for $195, while Spyderco Military for $160.

$35 price difference is not small.

EDIT: with $195, I will choose the knifeworks exclusive cts-204p Military any day of the week.

That notch in the blade tang of the BM when closed looks strange (I know why it is there). Tip up carry is indeed a plus.

I like ffg so in the end I would pick the millie.

Last edited:
IMG_2949.JPG IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2998.JPG I have both and would be hard pressed to choose one over the other.
Tip down vs tip up and FFG vs Bowie style are the 2 big differences.
They are both built EXTREMELY well.
Both excellent flickers, if that matters to you. It does to me.
CR feels better in hand and is better looking, to me.
CR is a little heavier, but not really enough to make a difference in your choice.
I'll get you a side by side pic in about a half hour.
Joe
PS.....have you looked at the BM 710?? Another 4" wonder knife!!

Last edited:
Joe, you mention Tip up/Tip down and FFG vs Bowie for two big differences...

Do the locking mechanisms offer a significant difference in these pieces to you?

Axis VS Liner lock is often a consideration to me when I'm looking at two choices, wondered if you'd weigh in.

I agree with sharp_edge.

The BM CR costs $35 more than the Military. So for me , the Military is a better deal right off the bat. Plus , I find the Military to be the better looking knife and I much prefer it's blade shape.

The Military definitely gets my vote. No contest.

My vote goes to the Military. I prefer the FFG on the Millie for better cutting geometry. Plus, the Millie comes in all different flavors, colors and steels. Axis locks will tend to develop blade play over time and to me, that's the deal breaker.

I vote CR. Never been a fan of the Millie/PM2. Don't like the pointy blade shape and easily released liner lock of the Millie for an outdoor blade. I believe the Millie would be better for food prep.

The difference in weight is a none issue for me.

An alternative suggestion would be the 810-1401 Contego Knifeworks exclusive.
nkHdReI.jpg

My vote goes to the Military. I prefer the FFG on the Millie for better cutting geometry. Plus, the Millie comes in all different flavors, colors and steels. Axis locks will tend to develop blade play over time and to me, that's the deal breaker.
Can you elaborate on the statement that Axis locks develop blade play? I've had a 710 forever and not an issue. Also have a 940 and not an issue. Just curious what your experience has been.

For me Vel??? I'm so familiar with both, no consideration. I prefer the Axis, BUT the Spydie liner lock is a VERY well done lock and I have never doubted it once.
Joe

Joe, you mention Tip up/Tip down and FFG vs Bowie for two big differences...

Do the locking mechanisms offer a significant difference in these pieces to you?

Axis VS Liner lock is often a consideration to me when I'm looking at two choices, wondered if you'd weigh in.

My experience with fairly hard use axis locks, has been they will develop slight up and down play, but it tends to go away, because the lock will continue to move inward over time and they tighten up.

Haven't seen this either.
Had a brand new Ti Millie develop up and down movement.....quite a bit after very little use.
Spydie replaced it so I don't even know what happened.
Joe

Can you elaborate on the statement that Axis locks develop blade play? I've had a 710 forever and not an issue. Also have a 940 and not an issue. Just curious what your experience has been.

I've had numerous Millies in various steels but always seem move them on. Still have my CR. The tip down only, amount of pocket real estate it takes up, and the liner lock are all negatives for me on the Millie.

That said, the Millie is indeed the better slicer of the two due to the blade geometry/grind. However, I much prefer the aesthetics of the CR, and it handles my EDC cutting duties admirably.

Both are well made, large folders. Buy what you're drawn to. Good luck in your choice!

Military because I'm annoyed with benchmades poor qc. Tho the military I have is titanium and carbonfiber and substantially more in costs I'd still buy it over the two mentioned in the op.

Edit also I have zero issues using the version of the military I have with my left hand. Actually enjoying finger flicking it with the spiderhole. It's a reeves integral lock version tho.

Last edited:
Military all the way.

If it had a four position pocket clip it would be close to a perfect knife.
I understand not liking the liner lock but it is still very capable and in my experience holds up great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
Military. I can’t recommend it enough. Such a great blade, and an even greater story about how it came to be.

Reactions: Mo2
Back