BM Crooked River vs. Spyderco Military

I've owned both, and I prefer the Military for its ergonomics, blade geometry, light weight and thin profile. It's one of my favorite knives.

I didn't own my Crooked River for very long. It's nice looking, but the ergonomics didn't work for me.

Military because I'm annoyed with benchmades poor qc. Tho the military I have is titanium and carbonfiber and substantially more in costs I'd still buy it over the two mentioned in the op.

Edit also I have zero issues using the version of the military I have with my left hand. Actually enjoying finger flicking it with the spiderhole. It's a reeves integral lock version tho.

Yes you can left hand flick the Millie but a tip down right handed knife carried in the left pocket is terrible. A tip up right hand knife is easy and good to carry in left pocket.

To all you people out there saying you don't like or trust liner locks. A well built liner liner lock is fine in my experience. Its only flawed liner locks that you need to worry about.

What I will never understand is how some people say they trust a frame lock, but not a liner lock. They are the same thing. Framelocks relief cut goes down to as thin as a linerlock.

I think one of the reasons people don't trust liner locks is because most $5 gas station specials are liner locks. Not surprisingly, they are far from done well.
Hence lots of people will equate liner locks with garbage knives.
I have 4 Millies, 1 RIL, and every one of them is rock solid. There is no reason to have doubts about a well done liner lock.
Joe

Yes you can left hand flick the Millie but a tip down right handed knife carried in the left pocket is terrible. A tip up right hand knife is easy and good to carry in left pocket.

To all you people out there saying you don't like or trust liner locks. A well built liner liner lock is fine in my experience. Its only flawed liner locks that you need to worry about.

What I will never understand is how some people say they trust a frame lock, but not a liner lock. They are the same thing. Framelocks relief cut goes down to as thin as a linerlock.

I think one of the reasons people don't trust liner locks is because most $5 gas station specials are liner locks. Not surprisingly, they are far from done well.
Hence lots of people will equate liner locks with garbage knives.
I have 4 Millies, 1 RIL, and every one of them is rock solid. There is no reason to have doubts about a well done liner lock.
Joe

I agree with that. Also probably bad experiences with lock slip on folders like Emersons. I have had 2 Emersons with lock slip. However I have had framelocks with lock slip too.

For some reason knives with bad liner locks = all liner locks are suspect

Vs.

Frame lock with lock slip = it's just this knife, framelocks are good to go.

I have a military in S110V and 2 crooked rivers. Bot knives are fantastic. If you want something for a little more hard use, go with the CR. If you want a slicer and are thinking you'll do a lot of food prep, the military wins hands down.

Better yet, get both. I wouldn't part with either of mine.

For the military I am referring to the plain jane s30v black g10 (I'm left handed and that is all they offer)

I'm looking for a bigger folding knife to carry while hunting/camping etc. I've narrowed my search down to these two fine blades.

Both are around $160 or so.
Both cater to a lefty.
Both have a 4" blade.
Both have s30v steel.
Both are beautiful knives in my opinion.

I can only have one.

Which would you chose? Better yet, has anyone owned both? Any other 4"+ folders you'd suggest (keep in mind I'm left handed).

I have owned neither.

Thankyou! I look forward to your answers.
I'm a big fan of the Millie; It'd be my choice of the two.

For your use though, I'd skip them both and get a Manix 2 XL:

spyderco-manix-c95gp2.jpg

More robust than the Millie, better ergonomics than the CR, full ambi and cheaper than both. I think the blade shape is better suited to hunting/camping tasks as well.

Never handled a BM Crooked River. I have, and want to like, a Spyderco Military. It's got an acid etched & stonewashed blade, and contoured OD micarta scales....but it opened in my back pocket and tried to cut it's way out of (what was at the time) my favorite pants. I don't really hold that against it; but, I have to say it's just a little too long. It just doesn't sit/feel right in my pocket. (I also should have made it tip up carry when I ordered the scales; but I thought tip down was the right choice for its intended use/carry).
For a 4" blade, my choice is the ZT0200.
I did have a Manix 2XL, which I would have loved if not for the peel ply carbon fiber scales. They just rubbed me the wrong way, so to speak (hated the feel of them). I had intended to get a g10 version, but never got around to it.

I actually have owned a manix 2 (not the xl version). You are certainly correct, the knife just molded to my hand. I am not a huge fan of the leaf shaped blade however. I'm going to check out the different eclusives the manix xl has though. I imagine it's cheaper than the other 2.

You can Buy a plain Jane Military on the For Sale Forum for closer to $110 give or take. At $160 you're closer to a Sprint Run.

The Military is a slicer with the flat grind.

Unfortunately if I wait for a left handed mili to show up on the exchange, I won't own one for probably a year or longer. They never show up.

There have been a couple of good alternatives to the Cooked River and the Military mentioned in this thread. I m surprised no one has mentioned the Cold Steel Recon 1.
I ve never held the CR, but the Recon 1 is a bit heavier than the Mili but seems much stronger, which is no small accomplishment. Well balanced and comfortable in hand. Comes with a spare clip to convert to L handed use. The flat ground spear point version seems ideal for outdoor use. FFG blade of xhp-cts. Has a history of great durability.
And,oh yeah, it costs a bit less than 100.00!
It s been great for me as an outdoor work knife and fine for edc. Seems as though it would be ideal as a camp knife.

As for looks, it looks fine. If a person buys a hard use camp knife based on looks, then his criteria for the purchase are different from mine. ;)

cold steel has never been on my radar but I have seen more and more pop up. I like that they are ambidextrous and include a clip for lefty carry.

I've owned both. The Crooked River gets my vote especially for what you're describing. I think its the better design overall. I never cared for the handle on the Military.

Benchmade also has a better warranty/more services after the sell. If you happen to break the tip off of the Military, etc Spyderco will grind the knife for you but won't/can't replace the blade. Benchmade will replace the blade for 30 bucks. If you break the clip you pay for it with Spyderco, not so with Benchmade.

So yea, there's a slight price difference but I feel it's worth it. The Crooked River is an exceptional folder.

The ones I’ve handled, I could shake the blade out. I can’t do that with any of my PM2s or my Para 3s. That’s where.
You can do that with the CR as well... and most knives with a ~4" blade. A detent strong enough to pass the NYC gravity test with that much steel would also make it incredibly difficult to open.

Every Millie I've handled had a perfectly reasonable detent, but yes, they were easier to shake open than a PM2.

For the military I am referring to the plain jane s30v black g10 (I'm left handed and that is all they offer)

I'm looking for a bigger folding knife to carry while hunting/camping etc. I've narrowed my search down to these two fine blades.

Both are around $160 or so.
Both cater to a lefty.
Both have a 4" blade.
Both have s30v steel.
Both are beautiful knives in my opinion.

I can only have one.

Which would you chose? Better yet, has anyone owned both? Any other 4"+ folders you'd suggest (keep in mind I'm left handed).

I have owned neither.

Thankyou! I look forward to your answers.
I love the Crooked River. Has looks to kill, most especially with the wood handle. A perfect vortex of old school looks and sexiness (can't believe I'm saying this about a knife) with modern manufacturing & materials in addition to a the smooth functionality of an axis lock which I think feels better the larger/heavier a blade gets.

If your main intent for this new knife purchase is hunting and camping, and you can accept a strong 3.5 inch blade, look at the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter. Like a poor man s 4Max. It will surprise with its ergonomics and high quality blade. An excellent folding bushcraft knife. Also ambidextrous with 2 clips.
If you're buying this knife because of the looks, I m talking to the wrong person. If you're buying the knife for high quality functionality as an outdoor tool, think about this post. Better yet, look up reviews of the Ultimate Hunter on the internet.
Can currently steal one at MW USA.

Last edited:
I bought a lefty mili couple of months ago....it's amazing. Only thing I like as much so far in a folder is my lefty Sebenza 21.

And if I go into the woods I'd pick the Mili over the 'benza.

Honestly, a leftyhanded liner (or frame)lock was a revelation to me. Been using righthanded locks all my life. Never hated them but when I used my lefty for the first time I was like "Ooooh!! THAT is why all those righthanded people love their righthanded locks."

It just kind of clicked into to place.

I have both. The thicker bolster and thinner scales of the CR make it feel very agile for carving. The Millie has a great overall feel, no swedge, and all belly. Personally, as an all around EDC I prefer the 710 in M390 to both (if you don't mind the recurve).

That being said, I would grab my BM Boost over all of them if I was to head out the door for an impromptu camping trip. Many people don't like plastic/rubbery scales, but for me it has good grip, good handle ergos, full steel liners, and I don't worry about dropping it on concrete, rock, etc. which happens occasionally in my uses.

Back