BOB Backpack suggestions

I've been a serious slacker about not getting a BOB put together. Now that my wife is pregnant I'm going to need a bag for "the big day", so I figure it can also be the family BOB.

I want it to be a backpack so I can carry it easily. Around 40 liters (2440 cubic inches) is a good size. I already have a nice Lowe Alpine 40l but it's not setup like I want for a BOB. I'd like it to have a big main cargo compartment and a good multi-pocket organizing area under a flap. I want a bit of an internal frame, at least a rigid backsheet. It needs to fit tall people. It needs to be high quality, mountaineering worthy. No canvas or other heavy materials. The Maxpedition stuff all looks a bit awkward fitting compared to modern backpacking packs.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I’m not a pack expert but I did a lot of research for my last pack (50 L range) and went with the Kelty Redwing 3100 (now called the Redwing 50). Decklin here on the forum and I PMed back and forth a bit and he also ended up going with the Redwing. He did a post of his 3-day kit contents that was quite impressive.

They also have a 2650 (now called the Redwing 44 I believe) that is the same pack just scaled down a bit which might be close to what you’re looking for. You can get last year’s model for under $50. In fact I might snag one for myself.

Overall I’m really happy with my Redwing. Durable materials, single aluminum stay, just a nice pack overall. The only thing I might like is if it had more attachment points on the outside, something MOLLE-like where a person could attach a few odds and ends.

I’m not a pack expert but I did a lot of research for my last pack (50 L range) and went with the Kelty Redwing 3100 (now called the Redwing 50). Decklin here on the forum and I PMed back and forth a bit and he also ended up going with the Redwing. He did a post of his 3-day kit contents that was quite impressive.

They also have a 2650 (now called the Redwing 44 I believe) that is the same pack just scaled down a bit which might be close to what you’re looking for. You can get last year’s model for under $50. In fact I might snag one for myself.

Overall I’m really happy with my Redwing. Durable materials, single aluminum stay, just a nice pack overall. The only thing I might like is if it had more attachment points on the outside, something MOLLE-like where a person could attach a few odds and ends.

+1 on the kelty redwing 2650..campmor has them for 50..i think i may pick one up.i also got me a coyote for extended hikes for really cheap as well

+1 :thumbup: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825548&highlight=day+loadout

The Kelty Redwings are great packs. If the 3100 is too big they do make another model that is just a little smaller.

Are we talking about a bug-out-bag or a backpack? I consider the two completely different.

I'm going to mess around tomorrow and take some pictures of my Eberlestock Gunslinger II loaded down. I know how effective they are while hunting, and I think it would be a great BOB pack. If I'm forced out, I'm taking the AR. It will fit completely concealed in the pack yet still be readily available.

Are we talking about a bug-out-bag or a backpack? I consider the two completely different.

All depends on how much crap you wanna bug out with... Typical Bug out Bag is 72 hour supply, I would say a large backpack should fill that role nicely

There stuff is usually undersconstructed and made with crap materials. I went through 2 of their bags before I got the mapped equivalent.

Thanks. That is a big help. Going to check the local surplus shop and REI's outlet ...

I have an Eberlestock FAC track, 2500 ci, and a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack, 2000 ci. MR also has larger stuff. I would recommend either. The FAC track is great. If you look on Youtube there are a couple of really good reviews.

I have an Eberlestock Halftrack which should be here in the morning. The Eberlestocks and Kifarus have great suspension. I shied away from recreatrional packs of the same size deu to durability concerns. The lighter weight is nice, but not at the expense of durability under long term considerations.

I ordered mine in Dry Earth color which is a solid color that blends well in a variety of environments but isn't overtly tactical in appearance.

Back