Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

Augie

Gold Member
Hoping to get a thread going where everyone can post pictures of knives, documentation, links to information on Bob Cargill and Cripple Creek knives. I've searched the forum and unfortunately a lot of pictures have been lost and links are dead. I think these knives are important enough to traditional knife collectors that we need to keep the information going for future collectors.

From what I understand Bob started out by doing repair work for Case and making custom knives before opening Cripple Creek Cutlery in 1981, I'm thinking this Barlow with just Cargill on the tang and the number 95 on the back of the tang may be one of the early custom made knives. really a beautifully made knife, great stag and a spear blade profile that looks a lot like the spear on the late 1800's English Barlows.

IMG_8509.jpg IMG_8510.jpg IMG_8511.jpg IMG_8512.jpg

I hesitated on a Cripple Creek Eureka jack over on AAPK that's gone now. Should have grabbed it, but I was ignorant about the value. Bob made them by hand himself, and that's just awesome. They look really fine.

Nice bunch you are posting, Augie. I had a couple but traded them away, mostly.:(
I always liked these Barlows because they carry my initials!:) I still have one of them.
The "Uncle" Barlow is a pre-CrippleCreek Cargill.View attachment 877700 View attachment 877701

I like the spear and swedge on those barlows! I'm not usually a spear point fan, but those look extra pointy to me for some reason.

I'll leave my entry here. Great thread.
W4tzhRl.jpg

Nice ones guys, the Queen made ones are from after Bob sold the company from what I understand and are well made knives. The shape of the spear blade is very close to the original Knife World spear.

Charlie, that Uncle Barlow is a great knife and probably a better size for use and cary than a Granddaddy Barlow, it has very eye pleasing proportions to it.

Couple of Queen Cripple Creeks,

IMG_8125.jpg IMG_8128.jpg

I have a friend up by Monett, Mo. who wanted to learn how to make pocket knives. He approached Bob and was turned down. Later he got a call from Bob who told him to come to his shop. Bob had the contract for the 4000 Knife World first knives and was behind. My friend learned on the job helping to finish the last of that group.

I'm pretty sure they were made under Bill Howard's leadership - at Queen!
Charlie, your top 2 are Effingham IL knives. That would have been during the Blackjack period, correct? Was Queen under contract with Blackjack at that time?

Some nice looking knives here! Unfortunately I do not have any pi to contribute...

I have a few Cripple Creeks. And yes, the barlows with the CC and arrow were made by Queen when Black Jack (Effingham stamp) was producing a few patterns of Cripple Creeks.
Cargill got his trademark back when Black Jack folded and continued to make more Cripple Creeks. Cargill didn't have hardly any "hands on' dealings with the CC's with the Effingham stamp
after he put together the protoypes of 5 or 6 patterns Most of which were never produced thru Black Jack. The large Buffalo Skinner is the only Cargill "pattern" that was produced
and was most likely made outside of the Black Jack shop.
Greg
Concerning post #10 above, there were 2000 of the 1st Knife World knives.
That is by far the most of any one pattern that Cargill made.
With most of Cargill's time in 1982 being spent on this project, any other knife pattern with a '82 stamp will be low in number.

The website that I used to store my photos has gone bust. All photos I have posted in this thread are gone......for now.
Greg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Few more. Some of the images were taken years ago with a point and shoot camera and aren't as quite as detailed as others.
Greg

Some Copperheads

orig.jpg

Banana Trappers

orig.jpg
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Saddlehorn
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Greg, thanks for posting, that Saddlehorn is fantastic.

Here's a few more.

The Firestone Barlow with 10 carat gold shield. A Sowrat or Muskbelly. Notice the curve in the barlow. It keeps the tang from snagging in your pocket.

orig.jpg

Notice the different master blades in the 2 shown below.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back