Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

Thanks Greg for putting the references at the bottom of the posts as it relates to other posts. Super helpful.

I'm glad it helps ya pmek5. I know it helps me keep things straight.

This is the pattern Cargill called a Jack, like the old New York Hammer Brand Style. It was introduced in the
Green River Rendezvous Series as Cargill mentions in the 1985 Smoke Signals on page 11. The New LI-4.
Below is a photo of the knife Cargill used for this pattern.
Greg
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The Nutmeg State Barlow mentioned in the same 1st quarter 1985 Smoke Signals that was made for Pete Baribault. Just 30 of them were made.

orig.jpg

Cargill lists in the same Smoke Signals on page 11 he made some 3 blade Canoes with the Cargill Stamp in '84.
The color of the bone is off a bit in this photo but it clearly shows the stamps.
If you check the amount of these made in the Smoke Signals you will find that there are only "3" of these.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Updated list of knives made and the Second Cut Proto. If it wasn't for Shane and Bryan's help a lot of the information
posted in this thread wouldn't be available to us.
Greg

orig.png

orig.png

orig.jpg

The Ira Hayes knife is limited to 30 pieces. Notice the difference in the bone of these 2 knives. Regular versus second cut.

orig.jpg

This Proto is listed in the 1985 update.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I believe these are the same knives Cargill mentions in the Smoke Signals above.
They are all customized original patterns of the 10 Little Indians from Mr. Loy's Collection.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Fascinating stuff Greg. May I ask how many of Bob's knives you have and how long you've been at this? I have yet to see anything comparable for any brand of knife.

I found Bob's take on blade play of particular interest. As I closely examined my newly purchased Sachem #3 I did find a bit of blade play. It struck me as odd given all the care that went into these knives, but now I understand.

Greg , I've not seen the Sachem #3 yet in Bob's listings. Did I miss it?

Sachem #3 has an Old Fort, TN stamp that starts in 1987. We haven't gotten that far yet. When Cargill was talking about "blade play"
he was most likely referring to it in machinist terms or as clearance /gap /distance. Not wobble.
Greg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the 1985 list. That explains the 2 different Chief Anderson's trappers. 20 of the spey blade and 10 of the 2 blade.. All your work is greatly appreciated!

Glad you pointed that out Mitch, I missed it. I just now realized that there are 2 patterns that are 1 of 20 unlike the rest that are 1 of 10.

The info for Chief Anderson Knives is on page 3

By the way, does this knife look familiar to you?
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Second Edition 1985.
I'm not sure if the updates above were mailed along with these pages or if the updates came after in 1986.. The way it reads it sounds like the updates were sent out after the Smoke Signal below.
Greg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Re-post of the 4th Anniversary knife mentioned above.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you pointed that out Mitch, I missed it. I just now realized that there are 2 patterns that are 1 of 20 unlike the rest that are 1 of 10.

Greg

orig.jpg
that does look like mine is there another one?

Greg

orig.jpg
It's hard to believe I've had that for 35 years.. Thank you for posting.

1st Edition of the 1986 Smoke Signals. This is the year that Cargill moved to Old Fort, TN and to my knowledge this is the final Smoke Signals.
From 1987 forward Cripple Creeks made in the standard line will be stamped Old Fort, TN.
For those of you that are saving the Smoke Signals I suggest converting these JPEG files to TIFF or PNG files once they're on your computer or storage device.
Greg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Photo of last knife made in Lockport, IL.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
The Question is do any of these old dealers Dave Singer, Phelps, Hughes, Gilbert still have any old stock left

Frank Phelps past away last year, he didn't have any left. I believe Dave Singer was a dealer not a collector.

Of course not. It won't do any good to try and contact any one of these folks. It's good to see that you are reading the info tho. Hat's off to ya for that.
It's been nearly 35 years and any of these people who are still with us would be in their 70's or 80's. Let's not bother them.
This thread, that was started by Augie, is meant to provide info and the history of Bob Cargill Cripple Creek knives.
This thread's purpose is not to provide a means to acquire them.
Any of the phone numbers in the old ads will not put you in touch with anyone that knows anything about knives.
Let's be respectful.

Greg

Last edited:
Frank Phelps was only a dealer for the Chief Anderson series. Frank actually traded the family's station wagon to Bob Cargill to get the series started. Dave Singer carried the entire line of Cripple Creeks.

5 inch Stag Toothpick from Mr. Loy's collection. The first quarter 1984 Smoke Signals on page 10 mentions this pattern being used to make an AECA club knife.
Levine's Guide on page 9 also tells us they were made in 1984. 52 for the AECA and 48 like the one below.
Greg

orig.jpg

The AECA version.

orig.jpg

The second Honeybone Sunfish of only 2 made. You can see both Sunfish on page 8.
Actually, There were 4 Sunfish made. One was Pearl and Cargill gave it to his wife, June.
Another was a customized Pearl Sunfish Whittler that appears later in this thread.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back