Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

I would ask how he did that honeycomb jigging (let's see that machine), how he put his shields in and the matchstrike pulls you mentioned early on in this thread. What does he think of today's traditional custom knifemakers? Thanks to everyone that has posted in this thread.

I try to do my best with the photos. And yes, another shout out to Augie. I hope the thread is helping to answer some of
his questions. With the info provided by other members, this thread has answered a few of my own and has helped others too.
Hopefully the folks that will follow will find it useful as well.
Greg

Greg, thank you and thank everyone else that has contributed to this thread. It has far exceeded my hopes and expectations when I started it looking for information on Bob and his knives.

We should all be thanking you Augie.

Mike, the jigging machine was a simple metal box with a dremel like motor. Your premium custom knifemakers use something similar today to recreate bone
jigging of the past. Hopefully Mitch will add to that. He has first hand experience on the device and the jigging process.
It wasn't a huge elaborate machine. Cargill had a way of simplifying a seemingly complex task with as little expense possible.
The guy's smart that way.
" Let's see that machine" Let's be realistic.
As for the Shields, you can probably figure that out by looking at the hinges on a door.
Greg

This info is from new Forum Member Mitch Phelps. He is the son of Frank Phelps. Frank and Cargill were good friends and when Cargill was president of the NKCA
Frank was Vice President. Frank was also the one who had Cargill make the Chief Anderson knives. Mitch was aquanted with Cargill and attended many knife shows with his Dad, Frank.
This is what Mitch had to say about the Jigging Machine:

One of my summer jobs when I was in college was jigging bleach bone and strawberry bone handles. Bob would send them to dad an I’d jig them.
I smelled like a dentist office all summer because the bone dust flying around.

It was a home made jigging machine, he bought it from someone, could of been Bob. It was a little aluminum box, with a Dremel like stationary motor.
You turned one handle for left and right and another to up and down..

It was basically an aluminum rectangle box. It had a stationary rotary tool with multiple bur bits that where probably .5” total across. I believe the box was about 10” wide by 16” long.
It had a clamp at one end to hold the handles down. It also had 2 aluminum handles one to move vertically and one to move horizontal

Last edited:
What would you, or anybody else, want to know? Seriously.
Greg

I'm not a Cripple Creek collector. I find the knives fascinating, and very well made. I like the history behind them. I'm not out looking to solve any puzzles. And I saw an opportunity to help contribute to others.

But the man that personally touched every single knife is still around, and easily accessible on the internet, and seems to be quite open with speaking with fellow collectors. If there is any information that is unclear, or any questions about processors or quantities or dates, etc. Now is the time to ask him. Because 20 years from now that opportunity may be gone.

I would ask how he did that honeycomb jigging (let's see that machine), how he put his shields in and the matchstrike pulls you mentioned early on in this thread.

In the 3 page article I posted from Dec 1992, Bob talks about how he did the matchstriker nail pulls. They were pressed in with a die.

The match striker question turns out to be pretty simple. I suggest reading that entire article. (the one with the big red letters on page 13)

You have been much more than helpful Rookie.

Most of the questions that will come up are answered in the material already posted.
Greg

Last edited:
If there is any information that is unclear, or any questions about processors or quantities or dates, etc. Now is the time to ask him. Because 20 years from now that opportunity may be gone.

No one said anyone would be talking directly with Cargill. I asked if you had a question for him, what would it be.
So far we are answering them ourselves.
If I were Bob, I wouldn't venture into an area where you will be continuously misquoted. That has happened far too often. At his age, who needs it.
I am sure there is nothing but genuine interest and respect within this thread but given time, it seems to change here on the internet.
So far we are doing pretty good on our own with the help of all who have contributed.

Still, what would you need to ask Bob if you had a chance to? Something other than " I heard **********. Is it true??
Greg

Last edited:
Moving back to the Old Fort knives. '89 Copperhead with some very nice stag.
The Copperhead was introduced in the Green River Rendezvous series.
Greg

orig.jpg

mckgreg, how long have you been a cargill collector? It seems you have probably the most extensive collection out there, are there any “grails” you have yet to pick up?

I've been at it since the 90's. Keep in mind that a lot of the knives and information in this thread are not mine. A lot of the photos were contributed
by other collectors that have recently become members of the Forum and current members. They have been, and continue to be, a valuable source.
Greg

Last edited:
Moving back to the Old Fort knives. '89 Copperhead with some very nice stag.
The Copperhead was introduced in the Green River Rendezvous series.
Greg

orig.jpg
Thanks for answering that question I was wondering about . It's a nice pattern, and yes that is some nice stag.

Your welcome pmek5. It's a nice pattern. That info is within this thread. The "ads" are an important source of info.
Look just above the Christmas Card on page 13.
Greg

Last edited:
1987 Peanut. You don't see this particular type of peanut pattern often. I have next to zero info on it.
The only info I do have on it is that I have one and it looks like this.
Greg

Wait a minute, I seem to remember something about a new peanut back a few pages. Guess I'll have to look.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
I carried one of these knives for over a year and have to say it's one of the best made knives I have ever used. The carved lettering gave extra grip to the knife.
I think Cargill did these knives this way just to do something different for that show.
I ended up giving that knife to a friend that needed one. He still uses it and I still miss it today, several years later. For me it's the perfect whittler pattern. You can't have a whittler without
a coping blade. It just wouldn't be right.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
That is a cool whittler Greg. Is that just smooth bone handle material, or an acrylic type of material?

It's smooth bone Rookie. There are only a few Cripple Creeks that aren't natural material. The lettering is deep. Not just a surface decal.
Greg

A very cool whittler, Greg!. If I was your friend I'd not carry anything else, ever.

I still got another Sunnyd !!
We've covered quite a lot so far in this thread. Basically, we know the Lockport, IL knives were made between 1981 to '86. The Old Fort, TN knives were from 1987 to '92-93.
Maybe it's time to move into some custom stuff with some of the Cripple Creek line mixed in.

What's that saying about "Bread and Circus"?

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Back