Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

If you should happen to look at the "updated 10 Indians" on the upper part of page 12 you will find how many of these were made.
Greg

Speaking of updated Indians, Bob offered the pattern knife for the LI4 second pattern Jack on ebay, and I was fortunate to get it. (He refers to it as LI5, but the LI5 was the stockman knife, not the Jack. Bob suggests it was probably a Hammer brand knife sold by HSB hardware. An interesting piece, in any case, I believe.
thought Bob Cargill ebay listing.jpegughHJSB  pattern.jpegLetter sent with knife.jpeg

Last edited:
Speaking of updated Indians, Bob offered the pattern knife for the LI4 second pattern Jack on ebay, and I was fortunate to get it. (He refers to it as LI5, but the LI5 was the stockman knife, not the Jack. Bob suggests it was probably a Hammer brand knife sold by HSB hardware. An interesting piece, in any case, I believe.
thought View attachment 1080797ughView attachment 1080798View attachment 1080799
Very cool to see letters he has written and the care he took to explain the knife he sold. A real standup guy and some great history here. Love seeing this stuff!

A photo Bryan sent me of some Cargill Customs. The Seminole ,Tippecanoe, Lockback and a fixed blade. I believe the fixed blade has Bakelite scales.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
I photo Bryan sent me of some Cargill Customs. The Seminole ,Tippecanoe, Lockback and a fixed blade. I believe the fixed blade has Bakelite scales.
Greg

orig.jpg
That Tippecanoe looks like a beast. Can’t see the thickness. The fixed has quite a handle compared to the blade size; especially the cutting edge. With the finger chili, it’s a shorty blade. Very classy knives.

I photo Bryan sent me of some Cargill Customs. The Seminole ,Tippecanoe, Lockback and a fixed blade. I believe the fixed blade has Bakelite scales.
Greg

orig.jpg

I have a fixed blade from ~1990 with similar looking scales. The maker, Mike Franklin, told me they are paper micarta. It yellows over time. What sticks out of the sheath yellows differently than what is inside too.

That Tippecanoe looks like a beast. Can’t see the thickness. The fixed has quite a handle compared to the blade size; especially the cutting edge. With the finger chili, it’s a shorty blade. Very classy knives.
The Tippecanoe is certainly a beast, and a part of what I've always considered a "set" of similar looking knives. the Sundance, (first below) is 3 5/8" closed, the Sundance II is smaller, at 2 5/8" closed, and the Tippecanoe is 4 3/8" closed. It's that wide paddle of a blade that really makes it look mean, for me.Sundance:SD2:Tippecanoe.jpg

That's a Cripple Creek Classic I haven't seen before. Big honker.

The 2nd Anniversary knife. This isn't a dainty little piece. Measures just over 4 1/4" and has some heft to it. Only 10 of them made.
A very, very nice piece.
Greg

orig.jpg

The Second Anniversary knives came with a letter from Cargill.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
That's a Cripple Creek Classic I haven't seen before. Big honker.

The 2nd Anniversary knife. This isn't a dainty little piece. Measures just over 4 1/4" and has some heft to it. Only 10 of them made.
Greg

orig.jpg
"83" on the shield? As in 1983??

Yeah. Why? You didn't think the real Cargill Cripple Creeks were made recently did you? If you did, you certainly haven't been paying attention.
I suggest starting on page one and do some reading if that is the case.
Greg

Yeah. Why? You didn't think the real Cargill Cripple Creeks were made recently did you? If you did, you certainly haven't been paying attention.
I suggest starting on page one and do some reading if that is the case.
Greg
No I knew they were made a while back and I know some of the circumstances with him and his knives. I was just not sure how far back his knives were made so I thought I would ask at this time.

Nothing wrong with asking. But I suggest reading thru this whole thread to get a better understanding of Cripple Creeks and Cargill.
You won't be disappointed and you will most certainly learn from it.
Greg

Nothing wrong with asking. But I suggest reading thru this whole thread to get a better understanding of Cripple Creeks and Cargill.
You won't be disappointed and you will most certainly learn from it.
Greg
Excepting for the few knives Bob has made in the past decade or so, there hasn't been a genuine Bob Cargill Cripple Creek since, what, 1994? Most of the 21st Century pieces he's made have been from that "retirement pile". He's even made a few knives he's called Cherokee Trace, as this 2-blade JHB copperhead, one I was able to get directly from him.Cherokee Trace JHB Copperhead 2010.jpeg

Cargill did make some Cripple Creeks (after the Black Jack deal) in 1995=96. The ones made in "96 have different dated tang stamps but the true date is stamped into one of the blades.
I should have a few examples and will post them soon. There is a 1995 brown bone trapper on page 21 with 95 tang stamps.
The "after Effingham knives" are kind of like saying "Hey, I'm still around!
Greg

Last edited:
95 JBB Trapper by BC?.jpeg
Here's one I haven't been able to completely figure out. Trapper pattern with a 95 stamped blade and a type and color of bone I have not seen before.
1995 would have been in the Effingham era and there is no trapper pattern like this in the one page ad of knives that were supposed to be produced.(page 4)
The clip blade is stamped Cripple Creek.
I lean toward the idea that it was made by Bob. The color of bone used on this piece is not like anything he previously made in the CC line of knives.
The jigging does resemble the type used on the Green River knives (page 7) but I can't say for sure..

Cargill did get the Cripple Creek trademark back after the closing of the Effingham shop in 1995 and it is entirely possible that he made it towards the end of '95.
You don't see many '95 dated Cripple Creeks.

Greg

orig.jpg
I did have one of these brown bone trapper--an odd color, its seems to me, for Bob. For some reason I took it to be another of the EFFINGHAM knives done just before Bob was able to get the brand back from the Blackjack Fiasco. Happier with your idea, Greg, that Bob made it AFTER the fiasco.

Last edited:
Back