BOB/Get Home Bag Fixed Blade

I am putting the finishing touches on my Get Home Bag that I plan to keep in my car. I had planned on putting my RC3 in the bag as my fixed blade, but after reading several posts here about BOB's being stolen out of cars, I would like to put in a cheaper knife, around 30-40 USD.

The three I have right now, that I am thinking about are:

1) Cold Steel SRK (second) in Carbon V - the only thing that would blow if it got lost is replacing it would now cost about $75.
2) Mora2000 - I would have to buy another since I keep mine in my wife's truck
3) Cold Steel Bushman (second)

I am not opposed to buying a new knife for the bag (stupid statement, since everyone here is addicted to knives) so suggest what you like, but please keep in mind the price point I am looking at.

I would go with the SRK as well out of your choices that you listed. You already have it so I would use it.

I keep a Buck 119 in my truck. Since it`s stainless I don`t have to worry about rust from the changes in temperature around here.

Himalayan Imports R-10. I got mine for 50 bucks. Not the prettiest knife, but it takes a truly frightening edge and it's built like a tank.

I would stick with the RC3, If your bag is plain jane and does not scream tactical in anyway and is outta sight,I would not worry to much about it

+1 on the R-10, it really is one of those knives you could drive into a telephone pole and use as a step, and yet will easily take a shaving edge. I kind of feel bad, I have knives MUCH more expensive, yet my R-10 gets most of the outdoor time.

Oh, and they aren't that ugly, even with a patina:
R102.jpg

R101.jpg

It looked like this, new:
R-10a.jpg

You could also go for a bag small enough to carry EDC, thats how I get away with all the crap I take.:D

I'de say go with the SRK since you already have it but if your looking to purchase a new blade then how about the KA-Bar/Becker BK11 & someone also said the USAF pilots knife :thumbup:

You could also go for a bag small enough to carry EDC, thats how I get away with all the crap I take.:D

I thought about going with a messenger type bag, and taking it with me into work, but my new employer has a knife policy, and being as I just went through the whole unemployed-thing, I don't want to push it.

The BK11 would be a good choice, definitely in the price range. I could add some slabs to make the grip more comfortable for extended use, or if I cord wrap the handle, I would gain some extra 550 cord in my bag!

I may have to look into that HI R-10, I don't have anything from them yet. It could be the start of a beautiful new brand addiction;)

As always, you guys are a great resource.

Last edited:
I thought about going with a messenger type bag, and taking it with me into work, but my new employer has a knife policy, and being as I just went through the whole unemployed-thing, I don't want to push it.

The BK11 would be a good choice, definitely in the price range. I could add some slabs to make the grip more comfortable for extended use, or if I cord wrap the handle, I would gain some extra 550 cord in my bag!

I may have to look into that HI R-10, I don't have anything from them yet. It could be the start of a beautiful new brand addiction;)

As always, you guys are a great resource.

In that case, don't risk it.:D

some the size of the BK11 is handy, but not good for hard work, the other thing would be to add a small wonder bar to the bag, not a heavy but a mini for anything that might pop up, I carry one with me and it is very handy.:thumbup:

i've used mine for: ;)
diggin frozen snow of the wheel well of the car
fixing doors, the hinges and things.
Replacing molding

Just a few, but I will say one thing, there have been so many times in my life that If I didn't have that bar, a set of pliers wether on a multitool or not and a knife, some of the situations would have sucked big time, these three tools are in all seriousness life savers.

I hear you on the mini wonder bar, in the nature of tools, I also included a pair of fence pliers, a vice grip, crescent wrench, and a 6-in-1 screwdriver...except for the fence pliers, I got all the other stuff free-after-rebate from the home improvement center.

The fixed blade will be backed up by a medium CS Voyager, a SAK Huntsman, and a Gerber Autoplier. The Voyager has a broken pocket clip so I don't carry it anymore, not the best choice since it has a tanto blade (I bought it during my mall ninja phase) but I had it laying around, and the Autoplier was a gift, not the best mutitool, but better than nothing.

I keep a CS Bushman in my truck for this purpose too. If it's stolen (I'm in the burbs around Detroit), I'm only out $20.

Check your auto insurance policy for stuff stolen out of your car too. Some are better then others in replacing stuff.

I hear you on the mini wonder bar, in the nature of tools, I also included a pair of fence pliers, a vice grip, crescent wrench, and a 6-in-1 screwdriver...except for the fence pliers, I got all the other stuff free-after-rebate from the home improvement center.

The fixed blade will be backed up by a medium CS Voyager, a SAK Huntsman, and a Gerber Autoplier. The Voyager has a broken pocket clip so I don't carry it anymore, not the best choice since it has a tanto blade (I bought it during my mall ninja phase) but I had it laying around, and the Autoplier was a gift, not the best mutitool, but better than nothing.

In that case your good to go, a BK11, maybe an Izula would work perfectly. Alternatively some thing in the 5" would be nice, maybe a new BK2?
Not too expensive, but built like a tank.:thumbup:

+1 for the BK2. It's not that much more than the BK11, price wise but, as Fonly says, it's built like a tank (maybe stronger).

Last edited:
Back