Bob's "BIG DEAL" Gumbo recipe

Bmurray

Gold Member
Some people have asked me for this, so here you go....

Bob’s “Big Deal” Gumbo

Ingredients:
2lbs – medium shrimp peeled & deveined
2lbs – smoked sausage (I prefer Dickes) or andouille, cut 1/4 “ thick and then halved
2packs – frozen & cooked crawfish tail meat
1 – large onion chopped
1 – large bell pepper chopped
1 c – celery chopped
6 – large garlic cloves fine chopped (more is better)
1 – 28oz can of diced tomatoes
2 – bags of frozen okra
1/2 c – bread flour (you can substitute with all purpose)
1 c - cooking oil divided
1 Tbsp – of each, dried oregano, basil, paprika, parsley, Tony’s creole seasoning, gumbo file
4 – bay leaves
1/2 tsp – sat & pepper
1 box – seafood stock (you can substitute with chicken stock)
1Tbsp – each of corn starch & water whisked together
4 cups – instant rice cooked as directed

Directions:
Heat large skillet, add ½ cup of oil, onions, bell pepper and celery. Cook till crisp/tender approx. 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for two more minutes. Remove skillet from heat and add all dried herbs and spices and stir. Pour in a bowl and set aside. Re-heat skillet and sauté chopped smoked sausage until starts to brown. Remove from heat and set aside

In large pot over medium heat add remaining oil and add flour (roux). Whisk until desired color is achieved and don’t stop whisking or the flour will burn. I like a really dark brown color. Add seafood stock, tomatoes, and previously sautéed veggie/spice mix. Reduce heat to low and cook for approx. 15 minutes.

Add sausage, shrimp, and crawfish. Cook 5 minutes or until the shrimp done. Add frozen okra and corn starch mix and continue cooking until desired thickness. Cook rice as instructed on the box.

Serve in bowl with a scoop of rice in the center and spoon in gumbo around the outside.

Additional Notes:
- Taste before meat is added and add more Tony’s creole seasoning for personal taste.
- Add a bag of frozen sweet corn for a nice twist.
- You can also add seasoned grilled chicken if desired.

Back