Boker 440c hold up well?

BITEME

Gold Member
Basic Member
Been wanting to get a Boker 3000 lightweight w/440c steel but not sure how good the edge will hold up,I see some of their real budget knives also using 440c,kind of makes me wonder anyhow anybody have personal experience with the 440c in the Boker 3000? thanks guys.

Well, I don't have a 3000 but I have a Hyper and Subcom with Bokers 440c. Its a good steel for that price range. Edge retention is pretty good but it also depends on what you are cutting on a regular basis. I think Boker delivers a pretty good knife for the money.

^what he said.

If your expecting edge holding like s30v or something, you'll be disappointed, but it's a good step up from the Chinese cr-mov's or 420hc... Fine Steel for the price IMO.
(And fwiw, most of Bökers budget models use 440(a))

I have a Boker Arbolito in 440C. it wasn't too awful many years ago that 440C was one of the premium steels. I am very very satisfied in the overall performance of that steel.
e8a3e6c67444a0b36a57cb93683e24bc.jpg

I have this Boker War Toad in 440C, and it takes a razor sharp edge, and holds it pretty decently. I agree its better than Chinese CR MOV steels, and I like it better than AUS 8 too.

...and I like it better than AUS 8 too.

Makes sense, because on paper aus8 is all but identical to 8cr13mov... 8cr has a tad more maganese, aus8 has more then twice the nickel (making it theoretically a bit softer). Aus tends to usually perform a bit better, like a really good batch of 8cr, most likely due to better processing and heat treat parameters (typically as simple as Japan and Taiwan vs. China regarding quality control during the manufacturing process), but a good batch of 8cr is right on par: Aus tends to take a finer edge, but at the end of the day loses it just the same... So again, theoretically, provided it's produced properly and heat treated well, 440c should out perform it...

I personally even like 440a better then 8cr or aus8, (which is much more within the same ballpark as them metallurgically speaking, and performance wise). It doesn't have the small bit of the harder carbide former vanadium or the small bit of nickel added, but it has a good amount more chromium (2-4%) for better stain resistance, and more then 3x the molybednum, which keeps it right on pace with others cuttingwise with more overall carbide formers, and in my experiences, a good batch takes just as fine an edge as aus8, holds it just as well, but is a tad easier to sharpen to get that fine edge... I've owned knives in all 3, and aside from dud batches, most often found in 8cr's, it's certainly not night and day differences between the good ones of each flavor, more like milk chocolate made from Mars, Hershey, and Nestlé; the differences are very subtle, but I actually wish more manufactures like CRKT, Schrade, even Kershaw, would make their budget stuff with 440a instead of 8cr or even aus8; (not to mention the cost some folks are stull chargeing for production level aus8 can be absurd! Like some $200 Al Mar's, or a $100+ SOG Kiku!? SMDH, but hey, people apparently somewhere are buying 'em).

Not in the 3000. But have a boker Titan drop point in 440c and found i couldn't get a proper edge on it (spyderco sharpmaker... I' m not the best sharpener but usually am able to put a decent edge on). Anyhow, on this model the 440 c must've been done improperly because the 440c in my spyderco cat is excellent and from what I've read, in general, 440c is adequate to good...

A little update,got me a Boker lightweight (440c) and I really like it ,I did a mini-test whittling oak and pine then some cardboard was still cutting phonebook paper nicely,it is a real easy pocket carry due to its thin profile,I got the g10 version but am also going to get the cocobolo one shortly -mine came with an excellent fit&finish definitely a keeper for ~$35.thanks to all the guys that chimed in.

Makes sense, because on paper aus8 is all but identical to 8cr13mov... 8cr has a tad more maganese, aus8 has more then twice the nickel (making it theoretically a bit softer). Aus tends to usually perform a bit better, like a really good batch of 8cr, most likely due to better processing and heat treat parameters (typically as simple as Japan and Taiwan vs. China regarding quality control during the manufacturing process), but a good batch of 8cr is right on par: Aus tends to take a finer edge, but at the end of the day loses it just the same... So again, theoretically, provided it's produced properly and heat treated well, 440c should out perform it...

I personally even like 440a better then 8cr or aus8, (which is much more within the same ballpark as them metallurgically speaking, and performance wise). It doesn't have the small bit of the harder carbide former vanadium or the small bit of nickel added, but it has a good amount more chromium (2-4%) for better stain resistance, and more then 3x the molybednum, which keeps it right on pace with others cuttingwise with more overall carbide formers, and in my experiences, a good batch takes just as fine an edge as aus8, holds it just as well, but is a tad easier to sharpen to get that fine edge... I've owned knives in all 3, and aside from dud batches, most often found in 8cr's, it's certainly not night and day differences between the good ones of each flavor, more like milk chocolate made from Mars, Hershey, and Nestlé; the differences are very subtle, but I actually wish more manufactures like CRKT, Schrade, even Kershaw, would make their budget stuff with 440a instead of 8cr or even aus8; (not to mention the cost some folks are stull chargeing for production level aus8 can be absurd! Like some $200 Al Mar's, or a $100+ SOG Kiku!? SMDH, but hey, people apparently somewhere are buying 'em).

I have a Maserin knife (Italy) that use 440a and your right it is an excellent edc steel and gets super sharp,initially I had my doubts but I did a similar mini-test as I did with the Boker and was happy with the results...I have not had the best results with 8cr13mov but others seem to really like it so maybe I have had a few lemons??

440C is a fine steel, In the 80's early 90's 440C was one of the finest steels around, a super steel of its time! Yeah, its no s30v, zdp 189, 20CV ect but its still a damn good steel. Holds an edge well, easy to sharpen and make scary sharp. Plus Boker does fine justice to 440C. I think you'll be happy with Boker's 440C I feel.

it's great! if you like sharpening your knives, but still want something that can hold an edge, boker 440c is great! m390 and 20cv takes forever to dull. plus, 440c has been around forever, so theres no excuse for a poorly heat treated one

I had a set of the Boker Prestidges, or however you spell it, kitchen knives with 440c. good steel, decent heat treat. Indeed, a few steps above most "generic" stainless steels. You won't be disappointed. I feel Boker leaves stuff a little softer than they should be, however.

Heat treatment is more important then the steel used. Dont let all the super steel talk fool you into thinking you must have S110V or the knife wont hold an edge. Well heat treated 440C is great steel and once, not so long ago, was the current super steel. It is still a great all around stainless steel and has a good balance of properties.

My experience with Bokers 440C has been good. They are made in Solingen after all(a famous steel/blade city).

Thanks for the comments guys totally appreciate it,I felt the pocket clip was a little long for my tastes so I shortened it,and I think it looks a bunch better,still feels good in the hand-oh btw I got lucky on the cocobolo mine came with some beautiful scales,I will try to post a pic.http://i.imgur.com/OcmfSwD.jpg

Boker 440C

A timely thread. Recently I put my ordering where my mouth is and received a Ti handled knife. I had recommended a Ti handle when some one asked for "Bomb Proof" in a handle material. They said it was TOO expensive. I suggested $150 was not too expensive in a world where pocket knives go for a thousand dollars or more.

In the end I found this Boker with decent steel for . . . .
wait for it . . .
. . .
less than $45 with shipping and came in three days.

I have not sharpened it yet. Out of the box it slice cuts magazine paper (chokes at push cutting it). Has some trouble slicing down a length of those plastic pillow packing pads but gets 'er done.
Over all I think we can be friends. The knife is way better than I expected.
It'll be a beater for me. I didn't even wipe off the box tape glue before the photo.

sooooooooo
I am glad to read what all any body has to say about Boker 440C.

Last edited:
I have an Exskelibur in 440C and I agree that it is very similar to AUS8 and kinda VG-10. Easy to sharpen and I can get it crazy sharp. I enjoy sharpening, so the edge retention not being the best doesn't bother me.

This Ti Boker 440C was my first 440C. I sharpened it a couple days ago. I am really happy with how it responded on the Edge Pro sharpening jig with Shapton stones. Hardly any foily wire edge and it came off easy and became hair whittling pretty easily. The grind was pretty darned even and centered side to side. Some much more expensive factory knives have left me cussing because I have to compensate and adapt so much to sharpen both bevels that are no where near the same or centered. Leaves me thinking that they shouldn't let people who drink at work sharpen knives.

Now she push cuts magazine paper (would only slice cut it from the factory), and as I said trims curls off hairs on my arm.

For anyone thinking of getting one of these I must say it is very easy to open and handle. Some of my other larger knives I got to plan the trip and hold my tongue just right but this Boker I just pull it out and open it and the lock is easy enough to depress I can, one handed, depress it and flip the blade over to close it. A friendly useful knife for sure. Cuts well. I took some of the tension off the pocket clip a tad and now it works with all my pants thin to thick.
Good stuff.

Last edited:
Lol, Boker has very few knives that are 440C. Most of their stuff is 8cr13mov labeled 440C. A VERY large portion of their "440C" knives are just relabeled pre existing Chinese knives from companies like Sanrenmu and Enlan. Just like how a lot of their knives marked "Solingen" on the tang are marked "Made in China" under their epoxied on grip panels. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but it still amazes me anyone buys their knives anymore.

Lol, Boker has very few knives that are 440C. Most of their stuff is 8cr13mov labeled 440C. A VERY large portion of their "440C" knives are just relabeled pre existing Chinese knives from companies like Sanrenmu and Enlan. Just like how a lot of their knives marked "Solingen" on the tang are marked "Made in China" under their epoxied on grip panels. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but it still amazes me anyone buys their knives anymore.

Take my reply in the friendliest way :

I wouldn't be surprised.
The knife I bought is too inexpensive for what it appears to be.
although in the same breath I really like it as I said above.

any links to or photos of the stamping on an actual knife with the epoxied on grips removed ?

Back