Boker Celebrates 150 Years

Whew! Great Knives, Herder you can bump this Thread anytime with fine old Knives like that!!!! Wow!

A big old Boker ( not that old - as that Great Boker Book tells me its in the pre WW2 era - the Bone is nice The blades are pretty Rugged!

9zaaEin.jpg

vPdHI7C.jpg

Fdfh06c.jpg

This one here again has very nicely jigged Bone, and is the Block lettering Stamp - so again the book tells me pre WW2, possibly a bit later than the Knife above? Im not too sure on that.

rDdZzy4.jpg

y1bRSDy.jpg

u5LSl2X.jpg

41ZD2fN.jpg

eUJjapD.jpg

Another Boker - Block Letter stamped E/O Knife- I really like this one..
MBomZK4.jpg

GsHegBa.jpg

eaZjam1.jpg
I spoke with Duncan last night as I noticed the EO he posted. I have one with very similar traits, same bone, same blade shape, nick and pin placement. The differences are no EO and this one has a shield and has BELKNAP HDW & MFG. CO for it's tang stamp as Boker was one of many that contracted knives for John Primble/Belknap Hardware Store's.

Now where it gets muddy for me is I was under the impression that Boker knives made for Belknap had a star stamped on the back tang? I also remember hearing that there was a tie somehow between Boker and Remington??? So, although I think this is a Boker made knife, I also wonder did Remington make knives for Boker? is Duncan's knife a Remington?

Now, I ask my friend herder, please help me here:D

Alright, here's my pic's and please pardon the setting as this is what a knife nut does while waiting in line at the drive thru;):)
iy9v0D.jpg

8L91EW.jpg

d2C0fX.jpg

ikMu58.jpg

aBPYX0.jpg

I found this reference near the back of herders Boker Book referring to dates and shields. So this may narrow it down to being made between 1941-1956? Also the model # is 6748S
nsOSmz.jpg

The Bone Jig Work is deep enough and beautiful enough to slot into Remington’s Family of Bone but I don’t know and look forward to seeing Herders response on your questions Paul.

I do notice a big difference between your knife and mine Paul and that is that mine is a lot better lol :D

The Bone Jig Work is deep enough and beautiful enough to slot into Remington’s Family of Bone but I don’t know and look forward to seeing Herders response on your questions Paul.

I do notice a big difference between your knife and mine Paul and that is that mine is a lot better lol :D
Ha!!! Duncan, now it is however better photographed;) I did look at the model number in back of the Boker book and it does list a #6748 (no S) but lists it as a 3 bladed Whittlero_O

bflying, wonderful picture with some neat items shown, but I especially like the large Boker hunter/trapper model.

r8shell, while that Valley Forge may have originally been a two blade model, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it was offered as a single blade variation.
Enclosed is a very similar Boker two blade Jack from 1914 which should help to give a date for your fine old knife.

Will Power, Great picture and great knife, I love the handles on that model!!!

BF Boker cat 1914 Washington Jack.jpg

I spoke with Duncan last night as I noticed the EO he posted. I have one with very similar traits, same bone, same blade shape, nick and pin placement. The differences are no EO and this one has a shield and has BELKNAP HDW & MFG. CO for it's tang stamp as Boker was one of many that contracted knives for John Primble/Belknap Hardware Store's.

Now where it gets muddy for me is I was under the impression that Boker knives made for Belknap had a star stamped on the back tang? I also remember hearing that there was a tie somehow between Boker and Remington??? So, although I think this is a Boker made knife, I also wonder did Remington make knives for Boker? is Duncan's knife a Remington?

Now, I ask my friend herder, please help me here:D

Alright, here's my pic's and please pardon the setting as this is what a knife nut does while waiting in line at the drive thru;):)
iy9v0D.jpg

8L91EW.jpg

d2C0fX.jpg

ikMu58.jpg

aBPYX0.jpg

I found this reference near the back of herders Boker Book referring to dates and shields. So this may narrow it down to being made between 1941-1956? Also the model # is 6748S
nsOSmz.jpg

Paul, first off, beautiful knife and thanks for showing it!!! It sure looks like a Boker made knife to me.
We didn't really cover much on contract knives that Boker made for other companies partly because we were running out of book space and partly because those waters are pretty "muddy" as you say.
I would be fairly confident in saying though that it is highly doubtful that Remington made any knives for Boker, or to the customers Boker exclusively supplied. The reason being, pretty bad blood between the companies at least from Boker's point of view. When Remington started up in 1919, they took Boker's top cutler/manager (Carl Tillman) and a few other good cutlers away from Boker. Remington also "borrowed" a few knife patterns that were classic Boker/Valley Forge models. So, I'm pretty certain that Boker would have wanted nothing to do with Remington after that. But who knows for sure? Business is still business... :)

bflying, wonderful picture with some neat items shown, but I especially like the large Boker hunter/trapper model.

View attachment 1217655

Thank you H herder . And I have to agree with you. That Hunter was the first gift I ever received from my in-laws, that wasn't really a veiled gift actually only for my wife's benefit. It's not an expensive knife, but one of my treasures.

Paul, first off, beautiful knife and thanks for showing it!!! It sure looks like a Boker made knife to me.
We didn't really cover much on contract knives that Boker made for other companies partly because we were running out of book space and partly because those waters are pretty "muddy" as you say.
I would be fairly confident in saying though that it is highly doubtful that Remington made any knives for Boker, or to the customers Boker exclusively supplied. The reason being, pretty bad blood between the companies at least from Boker's point of view. When Remington started up in 1919, they took Boker's top cutler/manager (Carl Tillman) and a few other good cutlers away from Boker. Remington also "borrowed" a few knife patterns that were classic Boker/Valley Forge models. So, I'm pretty certain that Boker would have wanted nothing to do with Remington after that. But who knows for sure? Business is still business... :)
That is whats so great about the mystery involving old cutlery companies. I find that very intriguing that there was bad blood between the two companies and yet interesting that cutlers where lured away from Boker. That said, one could see the Boker style/influence in Remington simply because those cutlers carried Boker dna so to speak. I too felt for obvious reasons my knife was of Boker decent due to the extreme likeness to Duncan's yet the bone covers seem so Remington like:thumbsup: There's a Remington pattern (R163) that is very similar sans the more squared front bolster and long pull vs crescent nail nick to the pattern Duncan and I posted. I then assume the model number is simply that of Belknap vs Bokero_O

Thanks for all your and Ricky Rays passion in bringing the Boker history to the masses:thumbsup:

Also herder would you feel the knife was made between 1941-1956 just due to the shield?

r8shell, while that Valley Forge may have originally been a two blade model, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it was offered as a single blade variation.
Enclosed is a very similar Boker two blade Jack from 1914 which should help to give a date for your fine old knife.

View attachment 1217655

Thanks very much. Thanks too for your scholarship and for the old catalogue picture, that's what it is to be a SPEAR:cool:

Regards, Will

View attachment 1217655

Thanks very much. Thanks too for your scholarship and for the old catalogue picture, that's what it is to be a SPEAR:cool:

Regards, Will
Thank you, herder! That catalog picture does give some context to my knife. As Will Power says, your scholarship is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

That is whats so great about the mystery involving old cutlery companies. I find that very intriguing that there was bad blood between the two companies and yet interesting that cutlers where lured away from Boker. That said, one could see the Boker style/influence in Remington simply because those cutlers carried Boker dna so to speak. I too felt for obvious reasons my knife was of Boker decent due to the extreme likeness to Duncan's yet the bone covers seem so Remington like:thumbsup: There's a Remington pattern (R163) that is very similar sans the more squared front bolster and long pull vs crescent nail nick to the pattern Duncan and I posted. I then assume the model number is simply that of Belknap vs Bokero_O

Thanks for all your and Ricky Rays passion in bringing the Boker history to the masses:thumbsup:

Also herder would you feel the knife was made between 1941-1956 just due to the shield?

It is amazing to read how many early American cutlery companies were formed and folded by family members and friends with both handshakes and backstabbing as continuous themes.

I would guess that that Belknap dates to early post WWII partly based on the shield as you noted. But also, all the Boker tear drop models that I see had long nail pulls prior to WWII.
That knife still has that quality "look" of the pre-war era knives which is also why I think it's a pretty early post-war model.

This is either flat out pattern theft or a subcontract situation!!:rolleyes:
View attachment 1218070 View attachment 1218071

Great examples, Charlie!!!
Oddly enough, that is one instance where Boker copied Remington. Boker introduced their humpback camper model in 1930, but the Remington model came out about four years earlier.
While Remington didn't invent that type of pattern, (older English and German variations looked a bit different) their model was the one that pretty much everyone else copied.

Thanks for the insight herder!!
Very interesting that Boker copied Remington on those scout/utility type knives!
All part of the struggles between them I guess!
Cutleries are still making Remington patterns, both authorized and not!!:D

Back