Boker Kwaiken Flipper Compact

JonesE

Gold Member
I was wondering if Boker could share more photos and more info on this new Kwaiken that looks to be available 1/26/2018. From the product page, this Lucas Burnley design will be manufactured in Solingen. It will feature contoured titanium scales. The knife will be a framelock with an over travel stop. Blade to be made of CPM-154. The item number is 110664.

JonesE

This looks interesting, but not something I'd get. It's basically a fatter framelock mini kwaiken with better materials. I wasn't a super huge fan of the kwaiken though so, I would personally pass on this.

A very exiting looking new knife! This may be my first foray into this price point, but it's still a cheaper habit than watches. ;-)

Jeff C

After owning two Bokers, a Burnley Khion and JWS SD3, I’m very interested in this iteration of the Kwaiken. The German Bokers have a very special feel to them, IMO.

Only own one Boker that I love and it is an Exskelibur 1 framelock made in China.

They tried to go cheap and so thus made the thinnest framelock I have ever seen. Well it turned out great. Definitely not a “hard use knife”, but extremely slicey. The quality is actually quite surprisingly good.
wRbSyjS.jpg

Look how thin this sucker is.
pCH23T6.jpg

As for the Kwaikens I would have definitely considered one if they were making good thumbdisk version ones. Then I could mod it into a flipper myself. I think these modded Kwaikens are the only ones unique and cool enough for me to consider.
(Note how the corner of the liners/scale is cut by the pivot to expose the corner of the tang. Creates an ultra low profile flipper)
maxresdefault.jpg

My first memorable Boker purchase was the Burnley Khion. It's a lot of knife for the money. Great size, weight and design. If you can get over the "made in China" part it's a pretty high quality knife. Perfectly centered, no blade play, one of my favorite steels. Disassembles and reassembles without having to "tweak" anything. Lockface appears to be "carbidized" and never sticks. Also, It flips faster than the four Shirogorov's I previously owned.

The JWS SD-3 was made in Germany. It's not perfect (there is a YouTube review that nitpicks all the flaws) however, having owned an actual JWS SD-3 custom of the same model, I actually prefer the Boker version for a number of reasons. My only complaint is that they should have done a milled pocket clip. The factory clip is a little weak on retention.

Anyhow, I'm going to start saving for the compact framelock Kwaiken based off my experience with the two models I just mentioned. I do agree, it would be nice if they added the thumbdisk.

Only own one Boker that I love and it is an Exskelibur 1 framelock made in China.

They tried to go cheap and so thus made the thinnest framelock I have ever seen. Well it turned out great. Definitely not a “hard use knife”, but extremely slicey. The quality is actually quite surprisingly good.
wRbSyjS.jpg

Look how thin this sucker is.
pCH23T6.jpg

As for the Kwaikens I would have definitely considered one if they were making good thumbdisk version ones. Then I could mod it into a flipper myself. I think these modded Kwaikens are the only ones unique and cool enough for me to consider.
(Note how the corner of the liners/scale is cut by the pivot to expose the corner of the tang. Creates an ultra low profile flipper)
maxresdefault.jpg

I have the CF framelock version of the Exskelibur 1 and it has the same thin handle. I think it's a coherent design for weight reduction: lighter material and thinner frame. I doubt they're being cheap. They can make another one with the thicker handle (like the G10 version), just charge a bit more if necessary. I'm sure I will buy that one too to add to my collection. I already have 7 Exskelibur models (4x I, 3x II).

I have the CF framelock version of the Exskelibur 1 and it has the same thin handle. I think it's a coherent design for weight reduction: lighter material and thinner frame. I doubt they're being cheap. They can make another one with the thicker handle (like the G10 version), just charge a bit more if necessary. I'm sure I will buy that one too to add to my collection. I already have 7 Exskelibur models (4x I, 3x II).

The folder the Excalibur 1 is based on uses thicker Ti scales. I wasn’t saying that the boker version feels cheap. I was saying that in Boker’s attempt to bring this Ti framelock in at a lower price they used thinner Ti scales. By using that thinner ti they made an insanely light folder.

I was complimenting them on the outcome, not saying that I wanted a thicker Exskelibur I framelock. I have been super impressed with my full Ti Boker Ex1.

I couldn't hold out... I already placed my order for the Compact Kwaiken. My only concern is that it might be smaller than I prefer. My sweet spot is 3.25-3.5" blades. I'm currently using a SALT Tasman nearly everyday so depending on how it feels in hand, I may start using 3" blades more frequently.

I hate bokers made in China. Good change to the model. At least I hope. Too expensive though.

And you still have all the regular problems...

Anyways..

The great popularity of the Kwaiken Flipper by Lucas Burnley is impressively reflected in the number of variants which we offer in the Boker Plus line. It is thus only a logical consequence that we have decided to meet the wishes of numerous collectors with a high-end version from the Boker knife manufactory in Solingen to round up the line. Designed as a titanium frame lock, the Kwaiken Compact is shorter than the standard version, but still has almost the same handle thickness. The titanium handle scales are contoured and given our new marble titanium finish, which gives the titanium a polished surface in which one discern a structure that looks almost like a mineral. The finely satined blade made from powder metallurgical CPM154 is bearing-mounted and opens like a normal flipper. A lock-stop prevents the lock from overextending. With reversible clip (tip-up / l-r).
These are the images from bokers site...

STANDARD-2548559a3aa012c220-600x500.jpg

STANDARD-2579659a95cbc028cd-600x500.jpg

Last edited:
That new Kwaiken looks good. I have the standard version and it's a decent quality knife. The design is what makes it special. So if this new one is better built it could be a real winner.

Ooh! I'm liking the CPM-154 blade.
I would LOVE to get a satin CPM-154 blade on the full size Boker Plus Kwaiken. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just got the notice that it hit customs in NY. Hoping to have it in hand by Weds...

I’m pretty excited about this one. My only concern is that it might be a little too small but we’ll see when it gets here.

Finally received my Compact Framelock today! Initial impressions out of the box are good. I was worried about it being too small but in the hand it feels "just right" and it's in line with what I've been carrying lately WRT size. I'll post my thoughts and some pics in a week or two after I've carried it around a bit.

Thanks shady,

Look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions.

JonesE

Alright, here are my thoughts at the moment. Love the knife, totally different style, size and shape than I am accustomed to carrying. Probably, my first "true" kwaiken, although I have owned a Hoback UHEP before. It is definitely a nice, slim EDC or gentlemen's carry knife. Pocket clip is also nice and understated. I don't normally like deep carry clips but this one works well.

- Overall: fit and finish are good. Knife flips like a rocket. No wrist action required. Finish on the scales is pretty cool. Stonewashed with a "polished" finish is what I recall. However, they are so smooth that it feels like a lacquered finish. You would think it would be slippery with such a smooth finish but they are actually a little tacky. Part of me is curious to know if they put some kind of clear coat over the scales.

- Blade: the blade did not come very sharp at all. The grinds are all even and clean but the edge just wasn't there. I have no issues sharpening a blade. About 10 mins on a DMT Fine benchstone and finished on a Spyderco ceramic rod gave it a nice sharp edge. This was not the case with my Boker JWS SD-3, which came with a pretty sharp edge.

- **Lock-up**: Okay, full disclosure, I almost sent this back up until last night. Out of this box, this thing has had some of the worst lock stick I have ever encountered. After a 50 or so flips my right thumb is still sore. I attempted cleaning the lock face and tang and used a Sharpie on both surfaces. No dice. Lock up was at about 60%. On the positive side, there was no chance of the lockbar slipping. This was disappointing since my two previous Boker purchases had zero lock stick. After two complete disassemblies of the knife I decided to flex the lockbar a bit. If you are not mechanically inclined I do not recommend this, however it is a relatively simple procedure. I am happy to report that after a slight adjustment to the lockbar it is flawless. Still flips like a rocket and lock up is at about 50% with no stick.

In sum, I like it and will most likely keep it just because it is so slim and just darn cool. I cannot in good conscience recommend this as a purchase due to the severe lock stick, for 95% of the knife enthusiasts out there. But for the 5% that don't mind tinkering around to make it perfect, this is a pretty cool knife.

I will update with a link to my imgur account for pics, shortly.

https://imgur.com/a/rVgrL

Last edited:
Reactions: AF
Thanks for the review.
I just watched the gpknives demo vid and that example also has terrible lock stick.

Hahah! Either that guy has steel thumbs or it’s not nearly as bad as mine. I watched it and it did display lock stick but mine was crazy, almost took two hands to disengage. I feel like whoever set the lock at the factory was worried about the detent not being strong enough.

Btw, I paid less than GP’s advertised price for mine. IMO, they need to handle the lockbar issue and make it a 200.00 knife. Also, the lockface is carbidized.

Reactions: AF
Back