Boker "Tree Brand Classic" & Solingen made traditional knives

I’m really taken by the earlier examples from this fine company. A very stout Barlow, very well made and easily worth the cost after all this time. The bolsters were the initial draw, the nickel pins a nice touch and when in hand, there were no regrets. This one is covered in rosewood.
6601F1ED-7316-4DC3-91A9-ABDFB9CF5A53.jpeg27790FED-4E19-4E6B-B441-8FA63C2EAA75.jpeg

I've been eyeing up one of the newer German-made Bokers with carbon steel blades that are branded as "Tree Brand Classic Solingen". They are priced closer to a GEC so I was wondering if anyone who has experience with these knives can tell me how the fit and finish compares relative to GEC and Case.
My experience is with older Boker knives made in Solingen. Fit and finish were excellent, almost on par with Great Eastern. What they called red bone, looked more like purple to me. The steel they use is good and it's well treated, but I recall that they didn't retain their edge quite as well as my Old Timers. Bear in mind, the last one I bought was in 2006.

zLzetow.jpg

Heres a boker with the castle wood. It looks like it could give you a splinter but i think you would need to do quite a bit of picking at it to develop any rough edges that could cause a splinter. This knife felt a little rough at first but after flushing, its wonderful.

Id say they are up there with gecs more recent productions. Gec seems to have been slipping a lot as of late yet they are still credited with over the top fit n finish though i think its more their qc is the issue.
Beautiful knife. Their beer barrel knives had a similar "splintery" look but they were quite nice, and surprisingly light.

Those are some fine looking knives. I love the acid washed finish on them.
Me too, that’s the only thing holding me back from buying the Ironwood. I’m sure N690 is great steel, I’m just not into the higher end steels. I think that’s why I like traditional knives the best.

I’m really taken by the earlier examples from this fine company. A very stout Barlow, very well made and easily worth the cost after all this time. The bolsters were the initial draw, the nickel pins a nice touch and when in hand, there were no regrets. This one is covered in rosewood.
View attachment 1557108View attachment 1557109
You can tell that they put some love into that one.

Yes they do. 🤠:thumbsup:
There's going to be one in horn as well.
Given the quality of their past few runs, it may be hard for me to say no to one of those.

Keep in mind that it’s synthetic horn. Still beautiful though (and no smell!).

I’d kind of like to add a Boker or three this year. These Swell End Jacks, the Club Knife, the Barlows and Barlow Primes all look interesting. I’ve got a few other commitments coming up in May but after that I’ll take a closer look at these ones. I think these Barlow Integrals also look nice.

1620073690555.jpeg

I grew up in the 1950's working part-time in my father's small town hardware store. I can't guess how many times I was reprimanded for standing over the Robeson floor display when i was supposed to be sweeping the floor or doing some other assigned task. I remember asking for one of the Camco Lone Ranger knives attached to a cardboard counter display. Sometime afterwards-late teens perhaps I lost interest in pocket knives.My first pocketknife purchased as an adult was a Boker medium stockman made in USA (Newark, New Jersey?) bought in 1968 in anticipation of a camping trip. Since then I've "accumulated" many knives but not another Boker until last week when i ordered a Boker Prime Barlow.

Back