Boker "Tree Brand Classic" & Solingen made traditional knives

Continuation of previous post that was posted prematurely. Back to the Boker Prime Barlow: First, the qualifiers: As others have suggested, it does not follow the well-known Barlow configuration but is more like a "Boy's Knife", it's profile will probably be an acquired taste and, it has slab (as opposed to gently rounded) sides, though the intersection with the back is gently eased. Now, the very positive: fit, finish and action are excellent. For example, this is probably the only wood scale knife I have where the transition between the wood scale and the stainless bolster is not in any way discernible by passing a finger over the joint. The blade is centered and the action (including half stop) is smooth, as it should be. It's a delight to handle a production knife as nicely made as this.

I grew up in the 1950's working part-time in my father's small town hardware store. I can't guess how many times I was reprimanded for standing over the Robeson floor display when i was supposed to be sweeping the floor or doing some other assigned task. I remember asking for one of the Camco Lone Ranger knives attached to a cardboard counter display. Sometime afterwards-late teens perhaps I lost interest in pocket knives.My first pocketknife purchased as an adult was a Boker medium stockman made in USA (Newark, New Jersey?) bought in 1968 in anticipation of a camping trip. Since then I've "accumulated" many knives but not another Boker until last week when i ordered a Boker Prime Barlow.
I've had several Boker USA jacks over the years. I really liked them. I didn't get any Solingen Bokers until the 1990s, mainly stockman knives and whittlers.

Continuation of previous post that was posted prematurely. Back to the Boker Prime Barlow: First, the qualifiers: As others have suggested, it does not follow the well-known Barlow configuration but is more like a "Boy's Knife", it's profile will probably be an acquired taste and, it has slab (as opposed to gently rounded) sides, though the intersection with the back is gently eased. Now, the very positive: fit, finish and action are excellent. For example, this is probably the only wood scale knife I have where the transition between the wood scale and the stainless bolster is not in any way discernible by passing a finger over the joint. The blade is centered and the action (including half stop) is smooth, as it should be. It's a delight to handle a production knife as nicely made as this.
Totally agree, my Prime in Curley Burch has the best F&F and W&T of any knife I own. In my opinion, it is flawless (except it isn’t carbon steel). Your comparison to a boy’s knife is spot on, if you put them side to side they are almost identical in size.

Totally agree, my Prime in Curley Burch has the best F&F and W&T of any knife I own. In my opinion, it is flawless (except it isn’t carbon steel). Your comparison to a boy’s knife is spot on, if you put them side to side they are almost identical in size.
Thanks for the feedback on this model guys. I'm planning a road trip to Grand Prairie Knives next week and I plan to check out the Boker lineup while I'm there. The Prime Barlow looks like something I might like and it will likely be the first knife I look at. I particularly like that it has stainless steel liners instead of brass. The Spear blade is pretty attractive too.

bigfish64 said:

Thanks bigfish64 for validating my observations. The wood on mine is (European) hornbeam so we know they can accomplish that fine fit with at least two species.

Thanks for the feedback on this model guys. I'm planning a road trip to Grand Prairie Knives next week and I plan to check out the Boker lineup while I'm there. The Prime Barlow looks like something I might like and it will likely be the first knife I look at. I particularly like that it has stainless steel liners instead of brass. The Spear blade is pretty attractive too.
Looks like I'm not taking that road trip after all. I decided on the Ironwood Club Knife and GPK doesn't have it in stock. Just pulled the trigger a few minutes ago from a Bladeforum supporting dealer.

Boker Club Knife.jpg

Boker Club Knife.jpg
That's going to make a good looking knife. 🤠 :thumbsup:

I posted this new Barlow in a couple other threads but I’d like to see this thread continue to get traction.👍
View attachment 1561855View attachment 1561854

Beautiful! What do ya think? By the pics, it looks like Boker came through for you. :)

I dig that pocket slip too.

For some reason I was think I had posted my Boker's in this thread, but I guess that was the barlow thread and probably in the Boker subforum. I'll get some pics up in the next day or two to flood the thread. :D

Boker clan gotta represent!

I dont think i noticed or recall that this damascus was stainless. Ive had a few damascus knives and none were stainless. Though none of them were much for quality.

These are different and most definitely stainless damascus. Go read up a bit on Chad Nichols if you have a moment. :) The guy is a legend (as is his damascus).

These use his stainless damascus in the Ripple pattern.

BegBJoK.jpg

Beautiful! What do ya think? By the pics, it looks like Boker came through for you. :)

I dig that pocket slip too.

For some reason I was think I had posted my Boker's in this thread, but I guess that was the barlow thread and probably in the Boker subforum. I'll get some pics up in the next day or two to flood the thread. :D

Boker clan gotta represent!
Thanks for the kind words on the knife and slip! 😎I love the knife, agree with all you have already said about it. Heck, your post is why I pulled the trigger. 😉It’s been on my wish list at the “site that sends candy” for a month or more. I ordered it on Thursday, I think, and it’s already here.
I think you are right about Boker stepping up their game, if that’s possible, on this one. The only thing I will say is that at the choil the grind has an odd curve to it. Is yours like that?
I dont think i noticed or recall that this damascus was stainless. Ive had a few damascus knives and none were stainless. Though none of them were much for quality.
I didn’t realize that either, but I’m fine with it, likely, the only thing will cut with it is cigars!😊

I have two Bokers. I'm a half assed carver and whittler. Both of mine are the Congress style. The carbon steel one has wood panels and is marked tree brand and Solingen . Really sharpend well and holds it's edge. The other is a stainless marked knife with a reddish plastic like panels. Also marked tree brand but stainless stamped and probably not made in Germany. It too sharpened well and holds it's edge reasonably well. Stroping helps both knives. For carving and whittling they both do well but the carbon knife is preferred. They are good looking knives and have served me well for about two years. I don't carry either, just use them.

Back