Boker USA Patriot

A-MAC

Gold Member
Boker USA Patriot - Model # 01BO370

Boker offered me a discount on this product for review.

Specifications
* Blade Length: 3.375"
* Overall Length: 7.5"
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
* Blade Style: Drop Point
* Blade Finish: Satin
* Handle Material: Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon
* Locking Mechanism: Lockback
* Pocket Clip: Tip-Up, Left/Right Carry
* Weight: 2.1 oz.
* Made in the USA

I've been carrying this one for a week or so now and so far I am really liking this knife. It feels great in the hand, is lightweight, opening and lock up are solid and it has handled EDC tasks flawlessly. Food prep, package opening and cardboard breakdown have been a breeze. The high hollow grind on the blade makes it a great slicer and the ricasso is just big enough to fit the tip of your finger in for a little added control, I wouldn't advise trying to use it as a choil though. It came shaving sharp out of the box with a fairly even grind all the way to the tip.

The design is great. Disassembly is accomplished with a T6 and T8 Torx driver. The back lock is one piece making reassembly a breeze, if you've ever disassembled a Delica then you can appreciate this. The pivot washers are integrated into the handle scales, they are physically milled as part of the scale making it impossible to loose them but also impossible to replace them. Time will tell how durable they are. The handle, pivot and pocket clip hardware (screws and barrels) are all the same size making them all interchangeable. The backspacer is milled as part of the presentation scale, again making it impossible to loose but also impossible to replace. Additionally, for those that live in places (mostly Europe) where you can have a one handed opening knife or a locking blade but not both this knife can be conformed to those criteria with the removable thumb stud, simply remove the screw that holds the two halves of the stud together. A sturdy deep carry pocket clip from the factory keeps the Patriot locked into your pocket out of sight. My problem with deep carry pocket clips is that they usually sit on top of the scales adding thickness to the handle. Boker has mitigated this by milling channels into the handle allowing it to sit a little lower, this also makes it possible to only have one pocket clip screw, the channels keep the clip from rotating.

Right out of the box the action was gritty and tight, as is with most new lock back knives due to the nature of the locking mechanism. A little time and a little Flouro grease on the blade where the lock rides all but eliminated this. One handed opening was never a problem and one handed closing is fairly easy also. All in all the Patriot is definetly worth a look. It's pretty simple by the design to see what this knife directly competes with. Being roughly 1/2" longer and slightly thicker makes the Patriot more comfortable in hand for me than the Delica. With the deep carry pocket installed from the factory this makes it a better knife for me. That's not to say the Spyderco isn't a great knife but if you like the Delica I think you'll like the Patriot, it being made in the US doesn't hurt either. Packaging seems to be a hit or miss for people. Some care what kind of box their knife comes in and won't buy a a knife second hand without the factory packaging. Others throw it in the garbage as soon as the knife has been removed. The box the Patriot comes in is just a simple, nice box. It's clean and has a magnetic closure making it a great gift box.

All things considered I'm fairly impressed with this knife. From the design to the feel in hand it is a great offering from Boker USA that is produced right here at home. I've carried it for a week or so now in jeans and shorts, no problem with either. It's so light and low ride that it all but disappears when clipped in your pocket. You get the Patriot with a black, blue, orange and tan handle all with a plain edge satin blade. A black handle, black serrated blade offering can be had also.

Enjoy the pictures and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

9c342ebe3d1e04184e4d6b052c954cbe.jpg

ffdec5b258576b4a5e5dd1717c7b8689.jpg

af4a512b23f5693609dbb18793d7014f.jpg

f1221dd8dd94e8b53c361dbe35052731.jpg

922df53c1033b7e40b53bd3b8006d23a.jpg

5b7ad32d240d7ac1a50ff0d377199422.jpg

a8d95cbf1da7f0101afe1035ec19cb2b.jpg

4b4db767ebcb297de0c755b398dc50a9.jpg

780a5c67be8d7b7aae08c6b2c43c74ba.jpg

178b13874eab9dd105da28f215c76fee.jpg

d1ac665d8da2485871200be941fb6167.jpg

0557e70a277ec6d777abcbe3f08153d8.jpg

ea1a999784d1f38b598d4786d6766660.jpg

6ee14b425df33fea5f9ef4e452e6fe10.jpg

45450a607992a30ee7efd56109715d47.jpg

25add9cdca63891bb99143c7811e0191.jpg

8465648707beef2f9ef7fe825a2017e9.jpg

Great pics and review,thank you. I like the looks of this knife,inside and out, but its a little on the small side for me. If this model competes with the Delica, Boker should make one a little bigger to compete with the Endura with a 3.75" blade or so. But anyway thanks for the review,I might just get one anyways.

Nice knife :thumbup:... maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see a long life for the spring.

very different and interesting design for that midlock than ive ever seen before. thanks for posting op good review and very informative.

This knife has had my interest for awhile now. Interesting to see it taken apart and how some of it works. Still with everything it has to offer I think I will need to pick one up at some point. Thank you for the review.

who is making it for boker in the usa?

why doesn't it have phosphor bronze washers? /:

See picture #12. The blade washers are built into the handle. My guess is this cuts cost of procuction, the back spacer is built into the handle also. More accurately, both are milled into or injected as part of the handle. Stops you from losing either. When I disassembled it it was dry, I kept it dry when I reassembled it with no problems, no lube needed. I did add a little to the spot on the blade where the back lock rides but not to the pivot area.

I'm a little confused when you say the washers are "built into the handle" they're just molded, right? It's all plastic? So eventually the metal of the blade will wear away the plastic and there will be blade play and since they aren't even replaceable nylon washers the knife will be useless. For a knife in this price range I would expect replaceable washers.

See picture #12. The blade washers are built into the handle. My guess is this cuts cost of procuction, the back spacer is built into the handle also. More accurately, both are milled into or injected as part of the handle. Stops you from losing either. When I disassembled it it was dry, I kept it dry when I reassembled it with no problems, no lube needed. I did add a little to the spot on the blade where the back lock rides but not to the pivot area.

I'm a little confused when you say the washers are "built into the handle" they're just molded, right? It's all plastic? So eventually the metal of the blade will wear away the plastic and there will be blade play and since they aren't even replaceable nylon washers the knife will be useless. For a knife in this price range I would expect replaceable washers.

I suppose it's a possibility but personally I've never needed to replace washers on a knife. Grit between the two surfaces might eventually wear the "washer" away but a smooth blade against a smooth washer shouldn't produce much friction. I guess we shall see how it holds up. I'll report back findings.

I bought a Patriot a while ago because it ticked so many of the boxes of what I'm usually looking for in a folder. I do really like the knife, but I had a couple of issues.

It was stiff when I got it and was actually getting stiffer with more opening and closing. Took it apart. Not exactly sure what caused the problem, but there was an odd wear mark on the blade cutout that the lock bar rides in. I didn't want to bother with sending it back, so I did some smoothing and polishing, and it works fine now.

I had to bend the pocket clip to get it to sit securely in the indentations in the handle. It's alright now, but I can't help wondering if those indentations should have been made a little deeper.

It's a lot of knife for the money, and I'm happy with my purchase in spite of the issues.

I got a blue one sitting in my mailbox waiting for me to get home.

Have high hopes being a Delica/Endura fan.

I don't have an Endura, but the Delica has been one of my favorite knives for years. I think you'll like the Patriot.

I got a blue one sitting in my mailbox waiting for me to get home.

Have high hopes being a Delica/Endura fan.

Got it. Really like it so far. Nice ergos, bladeshape, ideal edc size for me, nice blue color, looks good.

Deployment isnt very good out of the box but I'll help it wear in with some tweaks. Currently it is centered and no play at the sacrifice of smoothness. One hand close is iffy until it gets smoother. Applying some lube already made it better.

Choil is great but a little narrow but for the most delicate cuts. Blade could be ground thinner especially the spine, but that's just my preference.... Others may prefer the added robustness.

For some reason, all the pictures and videos with the Delica and Patriot side by side makes it seem like the Patriot is significantly bigger than the Delica to me. But no, it's very close to the Delica's size which is great. Straight into the rotation.

Last edited:
Back