Bomb proof handle scale material?

I want a handle material that, does not soak up/stain from blood, is not going to fail in temps until the epoxy on the tang does, and is just all around hardcore. Stabilized wood?
Micarta?
G-10?
Something else?

Bomb proof? Why the hell you going to blow it up? Blood proof ? Really what are u playing assassins creed?

Bomb proof? Why the hell you going to blow it up? Blood proof ? Really what are u playing assassins creed?

Come on, man. You have to know some people on this forum do hunt.

Back on topic... I'd think G-10 would do the trick. It's super tough and if you go with often used black, blood isn't really going to show whether it gets on it or not.

Mora (seriously)

If you are worried about keeping your blade clean the simplest solution is to use a fixed blade with hard plastics for the handle and sheath. Plastic is also light weight which is good if you are hauling a bunch of other gear around with you.

If you are going to be using it in cold weather you don't want any exposed metal. Metal conducts a lot of heat. Rubber, plastic and wood with no exposed tang are better options.

If you want a folder go for one with a flow through design. It makes cleaning much easier when you can just rinse the stuff straight through.

Come on, man. You have to know some people on this forum do hunt.

Back on topic... I'd think G-10 would do the trick. It's super tough and if you go with often used black, blood isn't really going to show whether it gets on it or not.

I hunt to

Just sayin with the combo of bomb proof and blood proof the cia should be here soon lol

G10 melts though right? I think maybe not

I hunt to

Just sayin with the combo of bomb proof and blood proof the cia should be here soon lol

G10 melts though right? I think maybe not

Now I think about it there is pretty much no sheath for a fixed blade that is that combo either

Not sure what you would be doing that would melt G10. Are you taking a safari on Mercury?

Seriously, any nonporous synthetic material (FRN, G10, carbon fiber, most micarta) is liquid, heat, and humidity proof to a degree that should be ample for uses on planet earth. If you need the knife handle to literally survive a bomb blast then why not buy a few things, strap them to a stick of dynamite, and EDC whichever knife survives?

Boltaron sheath material is an alternative to kydex and is fire resistant, tero tough is one of the more durable handle materials available. Good luck

Micarta is the most durable.
If you are doing any sanding working of it yourself. Wear a Respirator A real one, not a paper mask.

More durable than tero tuff? The tests I seen Storm crow do showed tero tuff being superior to other handle materials in flexibility and I think durability as well... can't remember though it was awhile ago.
Micarta is the most durable.
If you are doing any sanding working of it yourself. Wear a Respirator A real one, not a paper mask.

hotnurse.jpg

Alright Nurse Kervorkin .....I give just what do you need a bomb proof knife for................

G-10 is the way to go. It is strong, cheap, attractive, and impervious to blood.

Haven't seen any replies for frn.... That stuff is grippy as heck if properly executed, and is tough too

Anyyne make scales out of polycarbonate? I remember a place I worked had warehouse doors made out of the stuff.
Some employees did their very best to destroy them (high speed impact with u-boat carts, and pallet jacks, etc.), but nary a crack occurred.
Tough stuff!

Are people really taking the term "bomb proof" literally? I thought this was a commonly known and used hyperbole for something that's just really tough. Seriously, it's amazing how literal some people read things in text form.

But, yes, FRN is really great stuff too. I'd go G-10 or FRN. But please stay away from the bombs.

G10 is a variation of Garolite, and comes in a variety of "grades" (G7, G9, G11, etc) and a variety of types, including high-temp G11 (resistant up to 335 degrees), and ultra high-temp G7 (resistant up to 425 degrees). And it can possess a very high tensile strength, as well as impact resistance. I'm not sure how it reacts to extreme cold though. "Multi-purpose" G10 (commonly used for knife handles) has a maximum heat of 265 degrees.

As already stated, G10, FRN, and similar plastics would be your best bet for handles that can survive "rugged" use, not absorb liquids, and not absorb cold.

If a knife might be exposed to bodily fluids, one might consider a knife that can be completely disassembled for a thorough cleaning.

Are people really taking the term "bomb proof" literally? I thought this was a commonly known and used hyperbole for something that's just really tough. Seriously, it's amazing how literal some people read things in text form.

Yeah, i was reading these replies and thinking exactly the same thing. Who in the world takes "bomb proof" to mean that the OP wants his knife to survive a bomb blast?

Anyway, people have already mentioned some great materials here that quite frankly, will survive in harsher conditions than you will! If you're in an area hot enough to melt G10, you're in more trouble than just ruining your knife.

Back