"Bond. Leatherman Bond."

If I didn't already have a handful of multi-tools I'd seriously take a look at this.

Question for those that also have the old original PSTs - how much of a difference is there in the feel in-the-hand?
The original PST is a very “petite” tool, noticeably slimmer than the Bond. The Bond fits nicely between the PST and Rebar size wise. I’m having a hard time choosing between the PST and Bond as my EDC multitool. The Bond has more robust, updated tools, but the original PST is fit so nicely together, it’s almost like a piece of jewelry. What makes the Bond more carryable than the PST is the pocket clip. You hardly notice the Bond at all when it’s clipped to a pocket. In the hand, I do notice a difference between the two. The PST is so narrow, whereas the Bond fits the hand a little better. Weight wise in the hand, I don’t notice a difference. There is less than an ounce difference between the two.

the release of the new Leatherman Bond
I had a LM Bond in hand for the first time 2 days ago when I stopped in at SMKW wile traveling through the area to visit family in NC. The Bond felt great in my hand and functioned well as I would expect of any LM. I would have trouble, however, EDCing a Bond, because I would be giving up so much of the capabilities I'm accustomed to with the fully accessorized Surge I usually carry. If I had only $50 to spend, I'd find a used Wave, though I realize it might take a little hunting to find a good one for cheap. I'd even consider EDCing an Ozark Trail Multiforce18-in-1 mt from Walmart; I already own one, and I like the quality and it's features. Good luck finding one, however, as I stopped in a Walmart a couple days ago and found they had none in stock. Online Walmart advertises them for about $38 with sheath, pocket clip, and bit extender. On that big auction site on the web, they seem to go for more than Walmart sells them for! Lots of folks like to bash anything labeled "Ozark Trail", but I suspect those folks have probably never held a Multiforce in their hands. Just my opinion. T-A

So today, I was replacing the damaged serrated blade on my parts bin Charge ALX and while I had my bag of spare parts out I saw I had a pair of Rebar jaws just sitting there. So I figured I would give them a try while I had the Loki wrenches out. They fit no problem and complement the other mods I have done to the tool.

So today, I was replacing the damaged serrated blade on my parts bin Charge ALX and while I had my bag of spare parts out I saw I had a pair of Rebar jaws just sitting there. So I figured I would give them a try while I had the Loki wrenches out. They fit no problem and complement the other mods I have done to the tool.
Very nice! Those pliers match the rest of your Bond perfectly.

Hey, Thanks. I bet the Wave + plier heads would also work since the Rebar fit. I wonder if someone has fit a wave+ pliers head into a Bond yet.

JonesE

The original PST is a very “petite” tool, noticeably slimmer than the Bond. The Bond fits nicely between the PST and Rebar size wise. I’m having a hard time choosing between the PST and Bond as my EDC multitool. The Bond has more robust, updated tools, but the original PST is fit so nicely together, it’s almost like a piece of jewelry. What makes the Bond more carryable than the PST is the pocket clip. You hardly notice the Bond at all when it’s clipped to a pocket. In the hand, I do notice a difference between the two. The PST is so narrow, whereas the Bond fits the hand a little better. Weight wise in the hand, I don’t notice a difference. There is less than an ounce difference between the two.

Been a few weeks since looking here, and for some reason your quote of my post didn't trigger a notification.

Thanks for the comparison.

Looks like a decent update to the original.

Hey, Thanks. I bet the Wave + plier heads would also work since the Rebar fit. I wonder if someone has fit a wave+ pliers head into a Bond yet.

JonesE
I'm sure they would fit the Bond, since the Wave+ pliers are identical in their outer dimensions to the older plier design that the Bond has.

. I ordered one last week and just came across this thread. It will be my first Leatherman, I've been a Buck 112 edc for a while, but decided to give a multitool a try.

How does the Bond w/ pocket clip compare to the Skelatool?

I’m looking for a LM with a clip to carry in my front pocket.
- Wave - great tool. Too big and heavy for this purpose.
- Skelatool - size is good. Toolset is fine. Too many sharp edges and weird ergos for me both when using the pliers and when trying to slide my hand in my pocket to get whatever else may be in that same pocket.
- Juice would be good if it had a pocket clip.

Last edited:
. I ordered one last week and just came across this thread. It will be my first Leatherman, I've been a Buck 112 edc for a while, but decided to give a multitool a try.
" but " ?
Would you not still carry the 112 ?
A multitool doesn't really replace a pocket knife in my opinion.

I'd even consider EDCing an Ozark Trail Multiforce18-in-1 mt from Walmart; I already own one, and I like the quality and it's features. Good luck finding one, however, as I stopped in a Walmart a couple days ago and found they had none in stock. Online Walmart advertises them for about $38 with sheath, pocket clip, and bit extender. On that big auction site on the web, they seem to go for more than Walmart sells them for! Lots of folks like to bash anything labeled "Ozark Trail", but I suspect those folks have probably never held a Multiforce in their hands. Just my opinion. T-A
I actually just purchased one of these Ozark Trail Multiforce tools out of curiosity a few weeks ago from my local Wally World. Although I’ve not used it much yet it seems to be a good quality tool and is built well. It’s a great value cons you get the tool with the sheath and bit extender all for $38 bucks.

Got the bond today!

WsMtInm.jpg

It’s so slick! The pictures don’t quite tell it but in hand this is perfection. In to my jacket pocket it goes and straight to daily carry. So happy that I got this after all. I was not so convinced on the signal- it was just too busy and hot spotty design for me - so I had to let it go. I have been wanting to get out of knives lately (as of acquiring them) and I think this one will help me do it. Such a timeless design!

Got the bond today!

WsMtInm.jpg

It’s so slick! The pictures don’t quite tell it but in hand this is perfection. In to my jacket pocket it goes and straight to daily carry. So happy that I got this after all. I was not so convinced on the signal- it was just too busy and hot spotty design for me - so I had to let it go. I have been wanting to get out of knives lately (as of acquiring them) and I think this one will help me do it. Such a timeless design!
Way to go.
I wasn't 100% sold on the bond when I first got it because I'm used to closing my old fuse one handed against my thigh and it's very stiff to close, but the initial pivot tightness is freeing up some and the extra strong back springs aren't that hard to deal with actually.
Those bronze or washers should prove beneficial down the road too.

Way to go.
I wasn't 100% sold on the bond when I first got it because I'm used to closing my old fuse one handed against my thigh and it's very stiff to close, but the initial pivot tightness is freeing up some and the extra strong back springs aren't that hard to deal with actually.
Those bronze or washers should prove beneficial down the road too.

Definitely. I have to put some victorinox oil in the joints - that usually gets things going smoother.

Definitely. I have to put some victorinox oil in the joints - that usually gets things going smoother.
Mine seemed to have oil so I didn't bother but I probably should have.
Btw I looked and they're hard to see but the very thin washers kind of look like copper.

I don't really know what kind of metals they're using for knife pivot washers these days though so I'm probably completely wrong about what it is.

Btw I looked and they're hard to see but the very thin washers kind of look like copper.

I don't really know what kind of metals they're using for knife pivot washers these days though so I'm probably completely wrong about what it is.
Yeah, I noticed the washers too yesterday. Should definitely help.

How does the Bond w/ pocket clip compare to the Skelatool?

I’m looking for a LM with a clip to carry in my front pocket.
- Wave - great tool. Too big and heavy for this purpose.
- Skelatool - size is good. Toolset is fine. Too many sharp edges and weird ergos for me both when using the pliers and when trying to slide my hand in my pocket to get whatever else may be in that same pocket.
- Juice would be good if it had a pocket clip.

Lightweight go with sidekick or wingman.

Most of the washers between the tools are steel, but there are a few of the thin bronze washers that Leatherman uses on the blade pivots of the Wave. How do I know this? From disassembling and reassembling my Bond multiple times. I've gotten very good at locating dropped washers on the floor! I'm pretty sure that the washers on the plier pivots are the same bronze type as well.

Back