Bookie's Different Kniv

Yes, kniv is the proper spelling for what you're about to see. Rummaging through some junk in a closet an old funny Danish cigar box was discovered. Not remembering what was inside, it was opened and a flint bladed kniv appeared. Many years ago trips to Denmark were in order that I could give instruction and get instruction. Sword making and flint knapping were the subjects. The combined photos depict my fairly decent stone age Danish hand kniv. Don't ask me what the wooden handle is as I have forgotten--if I ever knew in the first place. The cord is NOT artificial sinew, but some natural long, tough reed secured with some genuine "stone age" epoxy.:rolleyes: It took a couple of hours to make, not being a skilled knapper, but not bad for a first attempt even though there is a flaw in the stone on one side. Appears whitish in the photo. The flint was picked up across the fence where I studied. The area had a very large stone age community and artifacts abound. This is the same flint that English gun flints are made from. What do you think?
3f744ce167.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thats incredible Steve. Curious how you cut the hole to attach the handle?

Way too cool to be languishing in an ole cigar box.

That is damn cool, I love hand made, "back in the old days" knives. I've seen videos on flint knives and such, and it ain't easy to make knives like that out of it. Kudos to you buddy. As bawanna said, definitely not something to be hidden away!

Very cool, and I bet it is incredibly sharp, Looks like those edges would slice turnips thin enough for reading through em.

Curious how you cut the hole to attach the handle?

Axel's ancient Dansk stone age 1/4" drill, of course! Kunne du forstå Dansk?
Med venlig hilsen. Bookie

YOU DIDN'T KNOW THEY HAD ELECTRICITY BACK THEN?!

I just love it when he starts speaking in tongues. You gosh durn norwegians are all alike, keep reverting back to your native tongue and all.

Man thats cool! Ive got flint knapping on my list of new trades. That looks pretty dang impressive for a first blade. Well done. I have some pieces of black obsidian I collected in Mexico from Popocatepetl Volcano Ive been wanting to play with. Theres flint all over the place around here. Looks like those would make a good spearhead too. Well done!
Are the rat tail or chirruwa :D

Would have really liked to have had some laha back then. Flint knapping can be very dangerous, health wise. Pity, Axel is dying from breathing the ultra-fine, no seeum flint dust over the years.

Very nice there Bookie, It looks really nice and knapping is extremely difficult to do right. Has just a certain simplicity to it which is just perfect. What other junk came out of the closet, quit hording man :D

Friggin super cool man! Love the primitive stuff, it has a certain utilitarian allure to it that cant be denied.

I just watched a 2018 movie, "Alpha," set in prehistoric times. It could have been titled "A Boy and His Wolf" because the story is about a teenage boy and a young wolf, both injured and separated from their families, who help each other to survive (after first nearly killing each other).

The reason I mention it here is because the opening scene shows a group of boys flint knapping as part of a manhood ritual. Tribal elders inspect each completed blade and give a grade: Pass or Fail. The passed blades seemed very good to my eye. One of them drew blood from the examiner, which met with his approval.

The movie is available on dvd. It has a lot of good stuff, and great visuals. Like when the boy uses maggots to clean the wolf's wound, then both of them eat the extra maggots. Or when the hunters are moving on their bellies toward a herd of buffalo and a line of ants crawls up onto the leader's hand. Without missing a beat he lowers his head and eats the ants. I really enjoyed this movie.

Ill have to watch that movie! I got plenty of home time lately. Wow! That was before I started to learn flint knapping! Now I are one! Ill pass on ther maggots tho. Yeah I have a kniv from Asel J too! Funny it came in an old Danish cigar box too? The box is really cool! Mr. Jorgesen (sp?) was about as famous as a knapper could be. He mastered the Danish dagger which is something i got to do before I eat too much silica dust.

a7f13b57dccb4a2c4990da76d147f034

I did learn to make these neolithic tri-facial replica points that were found at the same time as the daggers. The originals are found in the Dainish National Museum.
c4d5ec2e175cd83967e8db0ead226087

Heres one you wont find in a museum:D

Thanks my friends! They are a pain to make because they like to break at the waist as you might expect. That one is on the wall at the Bookie Museum of Natural Wonders.

Hi Kamidog! Been kinda tardy in these parts and most any other parts the past few months. Looks like the VA is getting most things turned around for me as of late. (That pesky Bawanna give me a sneaky run-around on Face Book a few back, but I toughed it out. Sneaky devil he is.)

That particular kniv is still on the wall. A Doctor from out of town heard about it and came to take a look see. Offered up to $350 eventually for it, but you know how it is. There's those of us who have gen-u-wine Danny rocks and those who don't.

Have a new Grandson-In-Law and guess what? He is a khukphreaque, too! Think we gonna get along just fine, eh?

Hi Kamidog! Been kinda tardy in these parts and most any other parts the past few months. Looks like the VA is getting most things turned around for me as of late. (That pesky Bawanna give me a sneaky run-around on Face Book a few back, but I toughed it out. Sneaky devil he is.)

That particular kniv is still on the wall. A Doctor from out of town heard about it and came to take a look see. Offered up to $350 eventually for it, but you know how it is. There's those of us who have gen-u-wine Danny rocks and those who don't.

Have a new Grandson-In-Law and guess what? He is a khukphreaque, too! Think we gonna get along just fine, eh?

Glad to hear the VA is getting you turned around. Funny thing about the Doctor wanting the khuk rock. Just goes to show that sentimental things that represent time, and effort, and friendship, and kindness, and giving, are worth so much more than money. You'd think a Doctor could buy whatever he wants, but he cannot buy a gen-u-wine Danny rock that was destined to rest in the Bookie Museum of Natural Wonders.

Sounds like your grandson-in-law is a lucky one. All my grandparents are no longer with us, but I married into a family with an amazing grandpa-in-law and he took me in and told me many of his life stories. I count myself very fortunate for that. I love the rock knive and I love the story. Hope you continue to get better. I still need to get my hands on one of your handmade ukuleles one day!

I still keep this on my desk at work to help remind me that I might be as cool as you guys when I grow up.

Last edited:
Back