Boot soles coming apart?

These are brand new, have seen about 3 miles TOTAL dog walking to start breaking them in. Small separation of the sole layers as shown below. This is a Goodyear welted construction with Vibram outsole. Is this normal or should I see if a shoe repair shop can cement it up?

r0cg0n.jpg

2nbhgzb.jpg

I had a pair of boots that did that, and it never got any worse, and I put a lot of miles on them. I bought them online, and was to lazy to ship them back.
I would take them back if you can. If not, have it glued.

What brand are they ?

I would not say it is normal but I too have experienced similar gaps on Goodyear/Norwegian Welt boots without it increasing to the point of failure. That being said I would seal it up so not to give it the opportunity to spread and/or let mud or other debris get in there.

If they are surplus, its likely that the glue there just didn't bond. Id glue it to take strain off the other glue that might not be so strong. and hopefully the two don't react.

I never get shoe glue to hold worth a crap. I'd take them to a boot repair shop if they can't be warrantied. Even if the crack never gets worse (I'd be surprised of that), it's a place to collect sand and dirt.

The last 2 or 3 pairs of workboots that I've had have failed like that long before they're wore out. Whoever thought that was a good idea for workboot construction should be shot. In my experience it only gets worse and I've only had one pair that I've been able to salvage to some extent with industrial grade glue. I have yet to find anything in the $100 price range in shoes that aren't made the same way and that I can get more than about 8 months use out of before they fail.

Danner has a good warranty and offers rebuilding services for their boots. I have a couple pair that have done multiple combat tours and were worn everyday. That's high on the list of reasons they're the only boots I buy. I'm happy to pay more for products that last.

Are they Jungle Boots - judging from the profile of the sole, they are?

AFAIK Wellco Jungle Boots are imported. You shouldnt expect too much from these, as they are relatively cheaply made, but three miles is too soon for almost any boot to fall apart.

Take them back. Even better - get a refund and buy a quality pair of boots. Cheapo boots will destroy your feet.

I bought a pair of US made Altama Jungle Boots years ago, quickly replaced the sole with a VIBRAM heavy duty sole in the same style as the original, but FAR better for use on tarmac. Theyve held up fine. Ive used the boots on hard surfaces every year for many years since I got them. They are amongst my favorite summer footwear.

Dont use the generic hard soled jungle boots for use on hard surfaces only. They are murder on your back.
There was a time when some soldiers used these hard soled boots for running on hard surfaces during training. Ask them, if they would go back and change that decision, if they could.

IIRC the same company which owns Wellco also bought Altama. My Altamas predates that buyout by many years.

As for quality versus cheap boots, I bought a pair of LOWA boots a couple of decades ago - the sole only delaminated a couple of months ago. I used the boots very hard but also took good care of them. No eyelet ever gave way and the boots (non-Goretex) held their waterproof capability just fine with proper care and waxing. They only ever gave up the waterproof spirit after using the boots when digging in water filled holes in a swamp for a week. Color me impressed.

Buy quality over 'carp.' You wont regret it.

Last edited:
They are ICWB and per the specs (and markings) they are vibram soles. Anyways they are going to eBay because even with good insoles the fit just isn't right .

They are ICWB and per the specs (and markings) they are vibram soles. Anyways they are going to eBay because even with good insoles the fit just isn't right .
ICW - intermediate Cold Wet boots are often used with an inner bootie. If not, you have to wear thick socks in order to not have them fit sloppily.

Keep an eye out on hitthebreakroom.com sign up for their news letter its Danners clearance site lot of really really good sales there. Pretty hard to beat their boots, i never cared for wellco, belleville last a lot better for me. Fit better too.

Back