1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottle openers obsolete?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by jaime_lion, Jun 27, 2017.

1. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    And unlike philosophy 206, that's likely to be valuable knowledge as he goes forward in life. :D

2. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman

Jan 1, 2012
    I love having the bottle opener on my Pioneer and Farmer.

3. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Mostly a liquor guy, but most of the beers I drink do not have a screw cap and I seldom drink beer by the can. So, still useful as hell!

4. Shanks4300

Shanks4300 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2015
    Bottle opener might be my most used accessory on my sak.

Pomsbz and mnblade like this.
  5. Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2006
    We used to need a cap lifter to open the cans.

[​IMG]
    Van Merritt and Grain Belt were pretty awful, Rainier Ale was pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    A.L. and Neko2 like this.
  6. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    In addition to using the large screwdriver feature, I mainly use the bottle opener on my SAK Pioneer to open cardboad containers containing cereal or other foods, without damaging the box. It makes a nice, light-duty prying tool.

Jim

Jeff_R and Pomsbz like this.
  7. ToneGrail

ToneGrail

Aug 4, 2006
    As a connoisseur of fine beers, its hands down the most used tool on my SAK along with the scissors.

lessershoe and Pomsbz like this.
  8. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    About the only beer I drink with a twist-off is Yuengling, all the rest require a cap lifter.

9. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    I have seen twist-offs once in 30 years, so yes, I think it's an american thing..

Pomsbz likes this.
  10. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    It is a cheap American thing it is what American piss water comes in and I won't drink it unless I really crave beer and that is all they have.

lessershoe, Pomsbz and mnblade like this.
  11. The-Stig

The-Stig

Jul 7, 2012
    I use my SAK bottle opener all the time for beer and Mexican sodas. Most of the stuff I drink isn't twist off.

12. orca8589

orca8589 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2007
    ^This. Pretty much anything I drink is out of a bottle. I have a collection of antique "church keys" in my tool box, and my Gerber Shard or my SAK are backup to those. I rarely drink soda, and when I do, it's usually the Mexican Imports, and all of them are lift-caps. High Fructose Corn Syrup is banned in Mexico, so the imported Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Sprite, etc. are made with sugar syrup, the way it should be.

I only drink two kinds/brands of beer; Anchor Steam if it's a lager or Rolling Rock if it's an ale. Both of those are lift caps as well.

I use a church key or cap lifter several times a month, more often in the summer.

~Chris

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  13. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    No way we use them for Mexican soda pop in glass bottles!

lessershoe likes this.
  14. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    I use mine regularly. Mostly on craft beers.

Also, I am surprised at how much use the corkscrew on my spartan gets.

15. lessershoe

lessershoe Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Mexican Coke with taco in the morning is heavenly.

+1 on using the bottle opener. 22oz bombers won't open themselves.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  16. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Used the combo tool on my Vic Walker tonight to open a couple for my wife and me to go with her home-made pizza! (Hers was a twist-off but mine was not and I used the combo tool / bottle opener on both of them.) Definitely not obsolete! :D