1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Bought a Cold Steel Recon 1, No XHP Logo, XHP or AUS 8 ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Brian205, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Brian205

Brian205

Jul 16, 2019
    I bought a Cold Steel Recon 1 CTS XHP ... Its the Last on the Stock. Did I just get the First Production Run of CTS XHP ? It has No Logo of XHP on the Blade or did the store do a Switch ? gave me the Aus 8 Version ? I bought this from Tactical Asia. Is the Aus 8 Version Coating Matte Like and the XHP Shiny ? Thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Looks like you have the XHP version. I was a customer of the owner of Tactical Asia before they were tactical asia. He's a pretty straight up guy.

However, if you don't have the xhp, just get in touch with them. They'll make it right.

Brian205 likes this.
  3. Brian205

Brian205

Jul 16, 2019
    So the Earlier Versions of XHP has No CTS XHP Logo on the Blade ? thanks for the Reply :)

insta9ves likes this.
  4. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    That choil without the blade going all the way to it hurts my brain. :(

5. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Seems like the first one that I bought was also not marked as XHP but the coating is the key. The old AUS8 coating was basically paint while the newer DLC is on the shiny side, like it is part of the steel (like your 2nd pic) although I have never seen that sticker initialed by Lynn. Maybe they had to start adding the stickers since the blade was unmarked?

jux t and Brian205 like this.
  6. Brian205

Brian205

Jul 16, 2019
    So the First Recon 1 CTS XHP you bought has no Logo of XHP ? ... When did you bought it ? :)

7. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    I have no idea but it was right after they came out with the updated steel so I was real worried that I got an old AUS8 model but it did end up being the XHP blade. I will try to find it tomorrow and take a pic for comparison.

Brian205 likes this.
  8. Brian205

Brian205

Jul 16, 2019
    Please do sir, Thanks :)

9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    First version of the cold steel recon 1 xhp has no steel indicator. These appear around late 2014 to early 2015 when there’s massive steel overhaul from cold steel.
    The one in your original post looks legit based on the pictures. The coating is quintessential cold steel shiny dlc even the dark blackish brown color of the coating looks legit. There’s never a DLC coated version of aus8 recon 1 and the latest s35vn version are all flat ground, so this must he the xhp version. The box also looks legit and is consistent with the design of that time. This one still has hollowgrind and the unsharpened portion also looks legit, even though imo it’s ugly.
    Anyway you definitely have one of the original XHP version of the recon 1. It’s actually worth quite a bit more than the latest version if you sell it at the right place. Some die hard fan might even buy it for $200.

Source: Hardcore cold steel collector here. I’ve owned every single version of cold steel recon 1 and its smaller cousin the American Lawman produced since 2010.

jux t and Brian205 like this.
  10. Brian205

Brian205

Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks for the comment :)

11. Brian205

Brian205

Jul 16, 2019
    Is it also True that if its an Aus 8A Blade and Teflon Coated. The Blade's Rounded Steel Base Along the Pivot Contacting the Triad Lock Would Not be Teflon Coated, It will be Bare Steel because the Teflon Flakes would bury itself in the Lock... The Rounded Base of my Blade contacting the Lock is Black (DLC) not Bare Steel :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    The easiest way to tell if it's XHP or AUS-8 is the blade coating. XHP is DLC coated, AUS-8 is Teflon coated. The DLC coating has a kind of satin finished look to it, Teflon is flat black.