Boulders on a bevel

Hello everyone,

Just some background upfront. This is my first post on this awesome forum. I've found a lot of great information on here, mostly been lurking. I've just recently started doing my own freehand sharpening. I have a Suehiro Cerax 320 grit, Naniwa Chosera 800 grit and Suehiro rika 5000 grit waterstones, along with a trusty leather strop with green polishing compound. I've been watching some of the Burrfection youtube videos on sharpening and have had great success getting a razor edge on my knives.

I had a friend ask me to help him out with one of his old folders. The tip was broken off and it was...dull. I have successfully reprofiled the tip and created a new bevel on the knife on my 320 stone. However, when I try and move up to the 800 grit stone, it feels like there are bumps (calling them boulders) on the bevel in certain places. As best as I can figure, it's from uneven wear from having to reprofile the tip and each boulder is from where the angle changed when I was taking away material to make a new tip.

My question is how do I get rid of these? Do I continue making full strokes along the entirety of the blade or do I concentrate on the one spot with the boulders to even it out? I haven't had success with the first method and I'm concerned the second will just create more uneven areas. Any advice I can get on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back