Bourgade Curved Steel chopping tool

I inherited this knife from my parents who sold antiques. It was quite rusted but my husband took it to work where he had the tools to clean it - removing the rust - polish it, and sharpen the blade. The Bourgade trademark is clearly stamped on the steel. The blade is curved and features two wooden handles to hold the blade to mince, slice or chop, but using a rocking motion rather than chopping with up and down movement.

I am very curious about this tool. I went to the Bourgade Steel website and found that it is/was in existence since 1916!

I took two fotos of it but not sure how to attach. I will play with the icons above. I guess I will have to send the fotos from my mobile to my computer before I can attach them here. If anyone is interested, I could send via message or messenger but I would prefer to share with everyone.

I really am not a knife aficionado. My only other treasure is a skian dubh from Scotland

Vicki
well, that did not work. This site requires an image url. I do not have that. Why can I not just browse and upload images?

POSTING IMAGES USING IMGUR

(when your membership level does not allow direct posting)

Go to Imgur.com

Create an account (free) That involves creating an Imgur name, like a forum name.

"Browse" at Imgur to locate pictures on your computer picture file that you want to put in IMGUR.

Copy ("open") those pictures to Imgur or drag those pictures to IMGUR.

Put cursor on your IMGUR name at upper right. A menu will drop.

Click on "images" on the menu that drops. A grid of images that you have saved to IMGUR will appear.

Click on the image in the grid of images that you wish to share.

A menu of actions appears on the right. Click on blue "Copy" tab on "BBCode" ("forums") (not "Linked BBCode") in the menu to perform "copy" step of Windows "copy and paste."

Go to forum page where you want picture located and "paste" link you just copied from Imgur.

Viola!

The type of tool you are describing is most often called a mezzaluna, which is Italian for "half moon." Typically used with a cutting board with a bowl-shaped indentation or a wooden bowl to chop/mince herbs. Some were intended for finely chopping or mincing meat.

The French word for it is hachoir (chopper) or hachoir à main (hand chopper). Bourgade is a French brand, so you might want to use the french term when searching for information about it.

Last edited:
Back