Box-o-knives GAW round 21 ( new rule )

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
It arrived today, and heres everything.
From here on try your best to add an equal number or fewer than we take, the box is starting to get out of hand ( I know I'm not helping)
A testimony to the generosity here for sure, but the box is getting big and I fear the shipped costs will be the demise of this box.

I chose the green river skinner for the kitchen and the Case toothpick for my pocket.

I let my dad choose and he fell in love with the stag RR canoe and that one handed Victorinox.

Heres what I'm adding

Yes I'm adding way more than I'm taking , but I just don't have anyone else to give these to and I promise it's the last time I add too much :D
Maybe I'll decide on something else I want to balance things out, but let's be honest the one other little knife I take won't make much difference.
I've thought about the Art Ullis gut spoon fillet knife long and hard and as cool as I think it is I'm just not using it so I decided to add it to the box.
Nearest I can tell it was made by Mora for them back in the 70's.
Definitely a cool one, but I only paid a dollar or so at Goodwill and I'm just not using it so I'm passing it along.

Heres the current list of entrants, minus myself of course.

1. @frontiertom
2. @CVamberbonehead
3. JTB_5 JTB_5
4. Ernie1980 Ernie1980
5. @akguy59
6. JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin
7. @Sleepereaper
8. @Nature Boy
9. @seas165
10. @rockgolfer
11. @cbach8tw
12. @PirateSeulb
13. Henry Beige Henry Beige
14. scattershot
15. eisman
16. BladeCommander
17. chuck4570
18. WhoseWoodsTheseAre
I will let this run another week .
Good luck to all who participate :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That is a lot of additions!!

Yeah, hopefully it's not too many.
I think I'll have to stipulate from here on people will have to try and either take more than they add or at least add an equal number so it doesn't get too out of hand.

Last edited:
Easy for you to say. The irony here is rich.
Yes I did probably add too many.

I wish I had someone else I could have given them to, because this box is definitely getting pretty big.
I'll do my best to pack everything as small as possible to keep the box size down.

As long as nobody minds I decided to keep the wooden box.

I can use it, and it will keep bulk and weight down for the next winner who will have to ship it out.

The last box was pretty beat up at this point and the only one I had is a couple inches longer but not quite as deep, theres just no way it was going to fit unless I haphazardly dumped the rest of the knives loosely in on top of it.

I’m surprised that the last wooden box lasted this long, they were nice boxes I just didn’t have a need for them when I had the box. I was thinking about jumping back in but I still see a couple that I put in the box.

I'd like to enter. I don't really need any more knives, but I could use the Art Ullis Salmon Knife (it's proper name) for my collection.

I'd like to enter. I don't really need any more knives, but I could use the Art Ullis Salmon Knife (it's proper name) for my collection.

Will do.

Looking into it I could really find no universal name for these gurry spoon fillet / boning knives , but I knew they were often used for salmon and I guess that name is as good as any.

Looking into it I could really find no universal name for these gurry spoon fillet / boning knives , but I knew they were often used for salmon and I guess that name is as good as any.

Artur Ullis, a Tacoma, Washington, dealer in fishing gear invented the Salmon Knife. The first were made by Carl Schleper in Germany, and later they were made by Frosts Company in Mora, Sweden, and last in Japan. What's really interesting is that they were made in both right and left handed versions. A patent was applied for but not granted.

Artur Ullis, a Tacoma, Washington, dealer in fishing gear invented the Salmon Knife. The first were made by Carl Schleper in Germany, and later they were made by Frosts Company in Mora, Sweden, and last in Japan. What's really interesting is that they were made in both right and left handed versions. A patent was applied for but not granted.

Interesting, I had no clue they invented these and that the official original name was salmon knife.
I pretty much knew mora had been the maker because the spoon appears to have been stamped by the same exact die as their current offerings, and the shape of the wood handle shows some direction lineage for sure.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel , throw me back into the mix, you grabbed the Green River but you left the Sharpfinger and Opinel in the box plus I have more grandkids that would appreciate a knife, plus I have a few more to add to the mix.

Back