Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

jackthedog

Gold Member
I posted this on Spyderco's forum but figured anyone who is just on BF might want to see it:

I got home a bit early from work before the holiday tomorrow and the kind folks at USPS had delivered a new Brad Southard Flipper for me today from Cutlery Shoppe. I think I got really lucky and ordered as soon as the knife hit the site. While I’ve only had it in hand for about an hour, I wanted to take a quick video and some pictures to post given the anticipation level on this knife.

My first impression is very nice. For a larger knife, it’s definitely nice and light. The brown G-10 has a somewhat more aggressive texture than, say, a Para 2. I happen to like it but that’s just me. The action on the knife is very smooth and I think will only smooth out more with use. When closing it, the lock bar has a nice cut out or chamfer/bevel (for lack of a better word) for your thumb to hit and ease closing. As well, the bevel on the G-10 around the lock bar cut out is a nice addition that makes the knife more comfortable to hold. The stonewash on the titanium scale looks great in my opinion. The two things that are a bit off for me is how the clip hits my hand but that might just my grip on the knife. Second, the jimping on the spine is not very aggressive but again, that might just might be my preference for sharper jimping.

Two things struck me as somewhat interesting. First, the blade shape, or at least the shape along the spine, it reminded me of a CRK Umnumzaan. Secondly, in case there was any doubt, this knife is designed to be a flipper. Given the name, this shouldn’t be a surprise but what I mean by this is the opening with the Spyderhole vs. the flipper is a completely different action. Still smooth with the Spyderhole but not as quick and the Spyderhole is quite a bit smaller for a knife of this size. Compared to the Para 2, it’s downright tiny.

The fit and finish for the knife are fantastic and as to be expected from the Taiwan line and lock up is rock solid.

I haven’t had a chance to use the knife at all but I’m hoping it’ll perform well.

Now, for the sad news, I may have to box this up and give it to my wife to wrap for Christmas. Negotiations are ongoing…

img1001as.jpg

img1002af.jpg

Lock Up
img1006e.jpg

img1014fi.jpg

img1008ea.jpg

img1007oo.jpg

img1018a.jpg

img1012xn.jpg

img1015gr.jpg

Video (Sorry it's so out of focus)

[video=youtube_share;jFELrjLuSC8]http://youtu.be/jFELrjLuSC8[/video]

Very nice indeed. I'm beyond excited to get mine. I just wish I knew when it was coming.

thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm tired of refreshing that first southard youtube video over and over again. The knife looks good, I'm hoping cutleryshoppe gets more so I can get my hands on one soon. I'm going to turn the scales black and it'll be my EDC - hopefully replacing my para2.

[video=youtube;3Uh2AH8jNio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uh2AH8jNio&feature=plcp[/video]

Glad you all enjoyed the write up. Hope you get yours soon as well.

Happy Thanksgiving.

It is a pretty impressive knife. I have been informed it will be wrapped up for Christmas, so I'm trying to get in as much flipping as possible before it goes away and I'm really impressed with action. It has started to smooth out a bit.

Is the clip titanium or stainless steel? If it is steel I need to talk to Steve or make my own from some grade II

im just not fond of the pocket clip

Same here. From the video Krazy Cash posted, it looks like the jimping could be slightly better as well. Other than that, it looks like a fantastic knife, and neither issues are deal-breakers for me. The size seems just perfect. Can't wait to get my pre-order :D

Judging from the PM2 pic (thanks for that!), this knife would be the perfect knife if it wasn't for the massively thick handle. Still might pick it up.

That's definitely a beauty. I can't wait till mine ships. All these pics and videos aren't helping!! Thanks for sharing, though!

Back