Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

It really is a great piece. I have been carrying my Southard solid for a week now, can't put it down. It has gotten easier to open with the hole, but its too much fun to use as a flipper anyways! As has been mentioned the lock up is outstanding, no play in any direction and no sticking or movement of the lockbar:)

In addition to grinding the clip I made another small mod...removed the lanyard pipe. I like the look of the stand offs alone:

photo2lbn.jpg

Last edited:
this is an impressive folder and i can't wait to put it to use.

definitely worthy of the hype.

jimping on the flipper wouldnt have hurt though.

i've had a few slips already but it's not a big deal.

I read your quotes, he says "I believe all manufacturers in the US should be expanding their US facilities." and "Our first choice is Always Buy American" and "which is why we continue to expand our Golden factory."

Not sure how you extrapolated your statement from his quotes but I think you just reinforced the opposite, lol ;)

They are 30 minutes down the road from me. I wish Spyderco would do factory tours like Coors or Miller.

i got to carry and use the knife a little bit today at work. it carries quite well, even in slacks. i found the action to get smoother as the day went on. the edge is sharp but i am looking forward to putting this knife on the edgepro. the blade has a pronounced belly that worked wonders on any slicing task and being hollow ground, it worked quite well on citrus fruits. the cutout that i did not like actually gives a nice rest for the finger and makes unlocking quick and easy. very versatile. i'd still like a custom scale but for the time being my para2 is getting some time off, as is my acies, ares, gayle bradley, 710, etc etc...

I think we can all agree that it is the best production blade made atm. Premium steel/quality/design, what more can you ask for?

I think we can all agree that it is the best production blade made atm. Premium steel/quality/design, what more can you ask for?

Lol. I don't think everyone will agree on that ... but I may do! It may be higher quality than the Millie and PM2, but definitely won't be able to compete with them as a fan favorite, tried and true, super popular model for years. However, it could be a contender, and is definitely my current favorite model. I love the compression lock and I love everything about the PM2 as well as the Military, but the features and overbuilt design of the Southard is really in tune with my style. I love ball bearing flippers too.

I hope at least most people will probably agree with me that out of this years wave of highly anticipated new, high end Spyderco designs - such as the Techno, Tuff, Gayle Bradley Air, Szabo, etc - the Southard is the ultimate. And probably the production knife of the year, if not the knife of the year altogether.

They are 30 minutes down the road from me. I wish Spyderco would do factory tours like Coors or Miller.

There was a fella on here that got a tour from none other than Sal's wife, maybe you could, I don't know, bring her a bag of mini Tootsie Pops or something...

If anyone is desperately searching for one of these (as I was for the past few days), they are in stock (22 as of now) at New Graham knives (link) :)

They probably will be a bit cheaper as they become available more widely. Just like all the rest of the new Taiwan released models have. Don't ya think?

It is from Taiwan and still sells for $230-270 what gives.?.
Makes me wander if I should pay double that and get the original ATW from Mr. Southard.
Did anyone handled one of his ATWs?

Makes me wander if I should pay double that and get the original ATW from Mr. Southard.

the quality of this knife is absolutely incredible, the materials are all top notch and spydercos taiwan manufacturer is exceptional.

if you have a problem with the price i would call it your loss...

Good luck getting one from mr southard my friend! All i can say! Oh and no matter where it is from, the price for this folder is very fair.

Last edited:

Just because something is made in Taiwan doesn't make it cheap. I have a bicycle that cost over 800 made there.

Good luck getting one from mr southard my friend! All i can say! Oh and no matter where it is from, the price for this folder is very fair.

Why, did you try?

His ATW model starts at $450 I would rather pay that than 270 for spyderco YMMV

It's AWT btw =D and to the people thinking they can score one of these, it's extremely hard to get one and the price on the secondary is very high. And really try the southard before you talk. I love crk, hinderer, strider etc.. And in my opinion this knife in terms of finish and quality is up there with them and is worth the price IF you are in to higher end knives. This knife is more tailored to the knife nut who is more into paying a premium for what they get. I love to buy american and all but in my opinion a lot of americans do not have pride in their work and it shows in a lot of production knives of all brands. But with every taiwanese spyderco it is very hard to get one with major flaws.

Wow, the production so good that people should stop ordering customs from the maker that designed it. Probably not the intended goal, or a realistic view.

Not saying that but i am pretty sure his order book is closed, and the spyderco collab is a very good alternative if you can't get one of his customs. I'm trying to look for one as we speak but they get snagged up very quickly. Oh and fourshore i have had the same experience as well :)

Wow, the production so good that people should stop ordering customs from the maker that designed it. Probably not the intended goal, or a realistic view.

i doubt anyone will stop buying brads customs because of this extremely well built production knife.

fyi, his customs are not easy to acquire...

thus the spyderco brad southard flipper!!

it's a magical concept..

Back