Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

It's seriously hard waiting for this knife to finally arrive on my doorstep... I've been having dreams of the good looking post-lady :p

IMG_1040.jpg

It matches my Franken-Millie really well (Carpenter steel/brown G-10 model with a Ti Millie locking side that has been stonewashed similar to the Southard).

This one was well worth the wait. The praises were no exaggerations.
An awesome knife all around. Especially, like the compact feel of it in hand.
Quite a successful flipper for Spyderco's first go at it.

Thanks so much, Spyderco, for releasing such a quality collaboration.

Got a little festive last night:very_drunk: and ordered mine. Should be here next week. Really looking forward to it. This is a game changer for sure. Mine will certainly get a lanyard of some kind and i will be modding the pocket clip. Pictures will follow.

The pocketclip does need modding, I agree. I acid etched mine. I also rounded the edges of it and its much more comfortable now. I think it also looks better, though I'd like to stonewash it as well, them I believe the knife will be perfect!

3E91C5BA-BBE4-4CF1-9DEB-EF56292B26B1-7895-0000076A5C743354.jpg

921DE88F-F2F8-4A7C-9843-161AAB522484-7895-0000076A54891EDA.jpg

The pocketclip does need modding, I agree. I acid etched mine. I also rounded the edges of it and its much more comfortable now. I think it also looks better, though I'd like to stonewash it as well, them I believe the knife will be perfect!

You and I are speaking the same language there. i was going to round it and try my hand at a home brew stonewash. yours looks very nice.

Looks great!

I plan on doing the same to my pocket clip when mine arrives. I am going to try the stone-washing technique that summit2g describes here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1015560-Stonewashed-Pacific-Salt-H1

All of these pictures are making me really want one. I currently have a ZT 0560 so the flipper/titanium frame lock role is current filled.
I would love to see a quality comparison between the two, although in this forum there may be a little bias (which I'm very guilty of as well).

My pocket clip "mod" consists of a STR deep carry clip using just one screw :)

Last edited:
Might have to try that with one of my STR clips.

If anyone send theirs to Steve, can you ask him to make a model of the scale so others can order low riders without sending theirs in? Mine is just passing through Norwegian customs now and I don't feel like sending it back to the US for clip fitment...

Might have to try that with one of my STR clips.

If anyone send theirs to Steve, can you ask him to make a model of the scale so others can order low riders without sending theirs in? Mine is just passing through Norwegian customs now and I don't feel like sending it back to the US for clip fitment...

He responded in the thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...thard-deep-carry-clip?p=11579635#post11579635

I don't think there is enough space between the screws to make a fold over work guys.

I'd be willing to send mine in, if he thought there was a way to do it.

Thanks for the link. Does seem challenging, will see how I get along with the stock one first.

Cheers

Sverre

I have a picture comparison request if someone could help. Southard and Centofante 3 I believe. Don't own a Centofante, but they seem to be similar. Thanks.

I'll get one posted asap when my Southard shows up.
Looking forward to it now that I've seen how everyone is enjoying theirs.

I decided to tweak the clip as well. I rounded the sharp points, and made it less shiny. I think the clip now goes with the stonewashed Ti better. I tried bending up a Ti clip, but the hole pattern is just too weird. So I decided to pull out the screw that goes into the pillar by the laynard tube thinking maybe I could use that screw and my torx driver decided to break off. If you look closely, you can see it. Not sure if I will be able to get it out, but those are some quality screws! Wish they would have used the T8 screws from the Sage's and Chokwe though. Oh well lesson learned. I am happier with it, but have not given up on my Ti clip just yet.

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

After carrying the Southard around for a bit I have grown to really like the clip for it's function, very easy to get into and out of your pocket.

I want one - I'll have to put in an order after the holiday madness wears off and the USPS is back to its usual semi-speedy self.

Back