Bradford Guardian 3.5 is available

The new G 3.5 is out. Interested to hear reactions to the new specs and handle design.

I like Bradford knives a lot, and won't be parting with my G4 anytime soon, may get another in fact. The new 3.5 handle design does not appeal to me, but expect a lot of folks will end up liking it. In my case, in a handle design on a short knife like this which has a deep finger choil built into the primary grip, I wouldn't prefer that smooth continuous arc running from the choil back into the handle, I'd want a separate, isolated choil more like what you see on the Spyderco Street Beat. To enable better extraction and control with the small blade.

http://bradfordknives.com/24-guardian-35

Very tempting. Thanks for the heads up.

It does look like the Izula.

I think a lot of folks with like the huge-choil-less design. There is a whole segment in this hobby that are very much against a large finger choil. For me though, the point of the G3 was the choil, that is what makes it a great small EDC fixed blade with a decent length blade. I'd like the design more for the bigger blades.

It does look like the Izula.

I think a lot of folks with like the huge-choil-less design. There is a whole segment in this hobby that are very much against a large finger choil. For me though, the point of the G3 was the choil, that is what makes it a great small EDC fixed blade with a decent length blade. I'd like the design more for the bigger blades.
Although, the choil limited the knife in slippery situations in my opinion. I much prefer a secure stop for my hand. Although a choil in front of a secure stop is good too. Like the swatmandu/ratmandu, which I love.

The 3.5 looks like a good idea. I like the Guardian 3, but I had to "dumb down" the blade immediately in front of the choil because I nicked my index finger a couple times while getting a grip on it, after taking it out of the sheath. I can't be the only one who's had that problem. (Or am I?)

It does say Izula, a lot. I wish it said more "Street Beat," I'd buy two in a heartbeat. I've never really liked how Bradford sculpted their handle scales though.

^Yep. A matter of preference, obviously, but in a small blade like this I want that deeper, well defined choil. It seems like it gives a more stable grip and better leverage for extraction from tough materials. With a larger knife and grip, you don't necessarily need such a deep choil because you have a longer, wider grip and you can get your leverage that way. But this is the type of deep choil I like on these smaller FB's.

Two examples:

timthumb.php

CR2082n.jpg

I like the looks of it. I would like the option of a more affordable steel just to give more people the opportunity to pick one up.

I would have preferred a proper Bradford 3.5 .Something larger than the guardian 3 with the same 3d handles and choil and a larger blade

guardian 3 and 3.5 share a 3in cutting edge... seems like a lost opportunity IMO

why make an izula clone? theres already like 20 knives copying this exact style...

a real guardian 3.5 with a 3.5 in cutting edge and the same handle geometry as the guardian 3 and 4 would have been an instant buy for me... guess ill keep hoping he makes one

for an almost $200 pricepoint (nimbus coating options selected) there are MANY other options out there cheaper in the 3in-3.5in blade size
3iCwdri.jpg

you can buy a Bark river North Country edc (thicker bladestock) 3.5 in blade full 4 finger grip (shown with ZT 0562CF for size) its only $135 and you can buy a kydex sheath for it for $25 online from the same website.. so $155 for a great knife IMO
OMFeCrS.jpg

QticD

Last edited:
I like the looks of it. I would like the option of a more affordable steel just to give more people the opportunity to pick one up.
Have to assume it will be offered in n690 at some point like the original.

It's essentially a Bradford branded Izula.

I mean, it looks nice... But I'll stick w/ the Guardian knives and go through ESEE if I want an Izula (for a fraction of the price).

It's essentially a Bradford branded Izula.

I mean, it looks nice... But I'll stick w/ the Guardian knives and go through ESEE if I want an Izula (for a fraction of the price).
Except it's got a longer blade than an izula. Which is a plus for me. I bought the wife an izula 2 and quite like it.

I do wish bradford kept more of his a original design but I also appreciate the added finger protection.

Except it's got a longer blade than an izula. Which is a plus for me. I bought the wife an izula 2 and quite like i

Exactly this. I’ve been asking Uncle E to design a BK14 with the longer Izula 2 scales for years.
At least Bradford was listening.

I think he addressed the issue many had with the Guardian 3 not having quite a large enough handle for a full grip but the 3.5 is still small enough for an EDC fixed blade ...

So I can see where it can fit in and it appears the scales may be slightly rounded more at the lanyard hole which might give it a more comfortable hold ...

I think it may have just enough improvement over the 3 for me to try one out and see how it works ... as the 3 I wanted to love but it's just a bit small for my slightly larger than average sized hands.

Except it's got a longer blade than an izula. Which is a plus for me. I bought the wife an izula 2 and quite like it.

I do wish bradford kept more of his a original design but I also appreciate the added finger protection.
Kabar eskabar 3.25 in blade $40 tough as nails easily sharpened spend the other$160 left over on other knives or buy aftermarket handles for $30
TKC-BK14-24HandleKit-MTG10-1X1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

or you can get genuine kabar zytel handles (2 sets) orange and black for 10 bucks online..
ka-bar-becker-eskabar-handle-set-bk14hndl-large.jpg

so for $50 you can get a perfectly good small edc and take the other $150 and go nuts

Kabar eskabar 3.25 in blade $40 tough as nails easily sharpened spend the other$160 left over on other knives or buy aftermarket handles for $30
TKC-BK14-24HandleKit-MTG10-1X1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I've had 2 of the bk14's my first about 4 years ago, the handle length is to short for my large hand. I much prefer the izula 2 handle length.

Exactly this. I’ve been asking Uncle E to design a BK14 with the longer Izula 2 scales for years.
At least Bradford was listening.
This. All this. If Ethan came out with a longer handled bk14 with a little longer blade... He's got my money.

I think he addressed the issue many had with the Guardian 3 not having quite a large enough handle for a full grip but the 3.5 is still small enough for an EDC fixed blade ...

So I can see where it can fit in and it appears the scales may be slightly rounded more at the lanyard hole which might give it a more comfortable hold ...

I think it may have just enough improvement over the 3 for me to try one out and see how it works ... as the 3 I wanted to love but it's just a bit small for my slightly larger than average sized hands.
yeah the guardian 3 was smaller than my letter opener ..i was hoping for a 3.5 inch blade not the same small blade with an izula handle... makes me sad.. i really wanted a guardian 3.5 with a 3.5 blade and the same handle design as the guardian 3,4,5 etc i have an izula ,izula 2, Eskabar, and tons of knife in that same basic design..

i liked bradford because they stood out from the crowd ..the 3.5 is just "another" knife :(

Back