Recommendation? Bradford Guardian 3, LionSteel M1 or Other

First off thanks for the help.

Second. Would be purchasing in Canada.

I am looking at a small fixed blade and have done some research on these two models. I am open to other options as well. This is my comparison of the two.

From looking at the pictures (which I realize can be deceiving) the LionSteel seems like it has better fit, finish and overall quality. The store I am looking at doesn't have the black G10 version in stock so I would have to get a wood handle so I am concerned about how olive wood, santos or walnut would hold up to moisture (swelling, cracking) over time compared to the Bradford 3 with the micarta handle. I prefer the horizontal draw/carry on the Bradford but again the sheath of the LionSteel looks like better quality from the pictures. The Bradford has blade jimping while the Lionsteel does not (whether or not that matters).

One other difference is the steel. I can only find the Guardian 3 in n960 steel with Canadian retailers compared to the M1 which comes standard with m390. Advantage goes to the M1.

Just wondering what are your opinions/experiences and if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks again.

Hey Blades. Welcome to BF.

Both your choices are excellent products, my advice however, would be to checkout the custom makers here on the forums, and get something from one of them. For about the same price point, you can get something custom with even better fit and finish.

Just my .02. Good luck with your search.

Did you see the new Bradford 3.5? I don't have one, but based on pictures I would go with the 3.5 over the 3.

Hey Blades. Welcome to BF.

Both your choices are excellent products, my advice however, would be to checkout the custom makers here on the forums, and get something from one of them. For about the same price point, you can get something custom with even better fit and finish.

Just my .02. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Have had a very good experience with Brad and enjoy owning a G4 in M390. Am considering buying a matching G3. Big fan of Bradford.

Have owned the Lionsteel M4, but not the M1. Good knife in M390 for the money and the M4 hits that sweet spot for size IMO.

Bushcraft Canada might be worth a look. The have a compact fixed blade menu option.

Welcome to the forums.

First thing I will say is that I have purchased directly from Bradford's site and they are great to deal with. If you can't find the knife you want at a Canada dealer ... I wouldn't hestitate to call and talk to Brad and see if he can send what you want to a dealer of your choosing and I bet they will work with you ... I know he has went above and beyond to help other customers.

I have only tried one Lionsteel fixed blade and they are well made but not nearly the knife the Bradfords are IMHO ... Bradford offers handle options ... steel options ... grind options ... and great customer service.

I'm not sure what your uses for the knife will be but the Bradford Full Flat Grinds are amazing slicers.

And if you want horizontal carry the Bradford horizontal sheaths are pretty good I don't carry mine that way but I picked up a horizontal to have and wore it some just wasn't for me but I can't knock the quality ... I have no experiences with Lionsteels horizontal sheaths wasn't aware they offered them.

Of the two knives you listed as having singled out to pick from I have nothing bad to say about the Lionsteel but the Bradford Guardian is a step up in quality ... again IMHO ... you won't find many better knives than the Bradfords for what they offer ... and the customer service they provide is top notch also.

Good luck ... hope you enjoy whichever you chose and enjoy the forums.

I live in Washington but have family that I visit in Calgary Canada and I know bladegallery will ship to Canada.
I just got my SG2 bradford guardian 3 from bladegallery its an exclusive for them is what I was told.

That's a fine choice OP, those knives are well made. I've been interested in those myself, but am now pretty well stocked in the category of 3.5" to 4.5" fixed blades, I have several knives this size and not looking to add more since I just added an excellent @Charlie Mike knife to the fold this week. ;) Of the two you listed, I looked at both and a few others a while back, and went with a Guardian G4. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that Lionsteel and they have a great reputation, and have had some good reviews here on BF. Give us a write-up and pics with your feedback on it. You wouldn't go wrong with either of these blades you mentioned.

That's a fine choice OP, those knives are well made. I've been interested in those myself, but am now pretty well stocked in the category of 3.5" to 4.5" fixed blades, I have several knives this size and not looking to add more since I just added an excellent @Charlie Mike knife to the fold this week. ;) Of the two you listed, I looked at both and a few others a while back, and went with a Guardian G4. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that Lionsteel and they have a great reputation, and have had some good reviews here on BF. Give us a write-up and pics with your feedback on it. You wouldn't go wrong with either of these blades you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback.

I probably would have went with the Guardian 3 if it came in m390 here in Canada. All the stores I looked at stocked the n690 versions. The only way I could get it in m390 steel was to order in the USA and when I considered the exchange rate, shipping, possible duty and brokerage fees as well as any issue with CBSA it made my decision easier.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I will try to get a pic of the M1 along with a Benchmade and Spyderco folder that I have.

M1PMNF.jpg

You could not go wrong with either knife. They are both fantastic. Nice knife/knives you have there! Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback.

I probably would have went with the Guardian 3 if it came in m390 here in Canada. All the stores I looked at stocked the n690 versions. The only way I could get it in m390 steel was to order in the USA and when I considered the exchange rate, shipping, possible duty and brokerage fees as well as any issue with CBSA it made my decision easier.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I will try to get a pic of the M1 along with a Benchmade and Spyderco folder that I have.

Did you check if bladegallery still does?

Hello, I know this is an old thread but a Google search that found this thread is how I found the forum. I have 3 Bradfords, to include the Bradford 3 in M390, and the Lionsteel M1 and honestly recommend the LionSteel M1. Both are great but that finger choil leading right up to the edge nicked my finger, and nicked fingers are a bigger concern outside in Florida. I'm found the M1 to be the ideal what I call "bird & trout knife." Florida has a funny law about defining a "common pocket knife" as a folder to meet the exemption from CCW for concealed carry. Odd for a state that's as pro gun as we are but oh well. I EDC a Mini Grip in 20CV (M390 by another name) and the M1 is practically a fixed blade Mini Grip. Caveat - I have not tried the Bradford 3.5. I was happy enough when I got the M1. I can't deny though the Bradfords look very cool, like a modern sgian dubh, and their sculpted G10 scales are phenomenal for grip in muddy, sweaty, wet Florida weather.

Hello, I know this is an old thread but a Google search that found this thread is how I found the forum. I have 3 Bradfords, to include the Bradford 3 in M390, and the Lionsteel M1 and honestly recommend the LionSteel M1. Both are great but that finger choil leading right up to the edge nicked my finger, and nicked fingers are a bigger concern outside in Florida. I'm found the M1 to be the ideal what I call "bird & trout knife." Florida has a funny law about defining a "common pocket knife" as a folder to meet the exemption from CCW for concealed carry. Odd for a state that's as pro gun as we are but oh well. I EDC a Mini Grip in 20CV (M390 by another name) and the M1 is practically a fixed blade Mini Grip. Caveat - I have not tried the Bradford 3.5. I was happy enough when I got the M1. I can't deny though the Bradfords look very cool, like a modern sgian dubh, and their sculpted G10 scales are phenomenal for grip in muddy, sweaty, wet Florida weather.
I have a 3.5 in the 3d cf handle and love it. The cross draw sheath is what drew me to it, but the blade itself is very nice. I may be looking at an m1 as well so it's nice to hear they are great knives as well. My preference on vertical belt carry are slightly larger blades but maybe I can get this and find kydex for it.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. I’ve seen some worse ones though. Hope the op decided by now. If not go with the one that fits your hand. Good luck.

Back